• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

So Scott, how did those Amish Pastes germ? I'll be planting mine in about two weeks (yes, two weeks). Last week in May is target for dirt, but not absolutely safe up here till the first week of June, and even then it can be a might iffy.

Your peppahs look mighty healthy, mon, here's to the grow of a lifetime!

stettoman said:
So Scott, how did those Amish Pastes germ? I'll be planting mine in about two weeks (yes, two weeks). Last week in May is target for dirt, but not absolutely safe up here till the first week of June, and even then it can be a might iffy.

Your peppahs look mighty healthy, mon, here's to the grow of a lifetime!

Hi Eric!

I planted 4 and 1 came up. It's now too late to try any more. About 10 days and they go in the dirt. That's if the 10 day forecast is good. So far a really early spring. Peaches are setting, and the Mesquite trees are coming out.

Yesterday I gave the gals some time to splash around in the pool ;)

69.jpg

It also gave me an opportunity to inspect each plant for Aphids. I found Aphids on 5 or 6. The dirty girls were quarantined and given several treatments of Neem Oil.

70.jpg

A nice growth spurt by many once in the new shoes ;)

71.jpg

This reaper had a few Aphids. You can see the Neem Oil on the leaves.

72.jpg

I need to cut those flowers off!

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

Aji Largo setting pods. GIP sent me these seeds in the summer, July I believe, and I planted as soon as they came in. So a summer start seems the way to fly with the Pubes here :P

77.jpg

The Mini Red Rocoto is a happy girl! Note the wind damage from a storm, I lost 2 plants shortly after the storm tore them up.

78.jpg

That's 10!

It's really hard to say here in northern Minnesota, but the fact that we've already got to 60 in MID FEBRUARY lends a bit of optimism that we'll get our well-deserved global warming up here this year.

Then again, we've gotten three feet of snow in April, so no bets.

stettoman said:
Heard there was a little rain in your corner of eden, Scott. Hope it doesn't come to sandbags!

Hi Eric!

We live on a ridge 200' above town, so we're good! The wind last night was scary, really scary! I was fearing OZ land!
3 tornado's in San Antonio, about 40 minutes from here and less than 10 minutes from my daughters house.

OCD Chilehead said:
You should have woody stems by the time plantbout for sure. Beautiful specimens.

Congrats my friend!

Thanks Chuck!

I'm hoping for a repeat of how things went in 2014. 2015 was a disaster due to health issues, and 2016 was just a half hearted start at the beginning. And when I finally got "in to it" it was too late :banghead:

stickman said:

Nice technique for growing in summertime in your part of Texas.  :thumbsup:  I hear that they plant chiles under "nurse trees" in the more arid parts of the southwest.

The pubes I grew last year did OK under the shade tree, but they were started much later than the ones I have up and running now. So I'm thinking these should do nicely this season!

Totally off topic:

I traded my car in a little over a month ago for an upgrade. A major upgrade, that I would never have sprung for, if they hadn't dropped the price $15,000.00 or more over what they were getting 14 months ago. The first one, was the first car I've purchased that I wanted ever. You know, just cuz you wanted it. I'm by no means rich, or make a lot of money. I'm just older and everything is now paid off. The money is still hard earned. Well it's been a pain since I bought it. It wouldn't start when the engine was hot and it sat for 10 minutes, then you had to wait 20 minutes for it to start. This of course has been a major distraction (3x for me). Today I feel we nailed it. I'll know more over the next few days, if it behaves. Because I need the mental break...LOL

So much has not gotten done around here with me living at the car dealership. Hoping to get back to normal here, if that's what you call it...

Fantastic plants Scott.Seeing your plants in the pool reminded me of when I had a baby pool in my daughter's bedroom 2 years ago to water, Of course, she moved back home for 6 months and I relocated my entire grow to a more elderly and less bending operation..Kids are a blessing in disguise sometimes. ;)

Back