• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

PaulG said:
You have a great grow underway, Scott.
Plants look healthy and happy!  Those
OW's will rock your grow this season!

Thanks Paul!

This is the first time I've cut the OW's back top and bottom, and re-potted in clean soil them. Normally I just put them in the shop when it gets cold and run them again. I'm hoping for better results this time around.

Superhot Sim said:
Awesome line up Scott, all very healthy and established seedlings.
You seem to of got good germ rates. [emoji106]...Your chugging along nicely. Good to see new life on the OW. Top work buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sim!

I started 30 days earlier this year; I know they will be pretty large come dirt day, I want spring pods!

Last year I used Black Gold starter soil 1" deep on top of potting soil in 3.5" pots. This year I made my own from 5 parts coir, 1 part perlite, 1 part potting soil; and did the same 1" on top in the 3.5" pots. I fill the trays with water and let the soil soak it up until we have a good wet medium. I put 3-4 seeds in each pot and almost all hit. I normally throw them on top of the dining room table and just move them out into the shop as they hook. It's insulated and one room is 24'x8', now the grow room. It was so cold during December and this month that put everything in the grow room and heated it, keeping it at 80°. Beats the 68° we keep the house at during the winter ;) I wound up with quite a few extras...

I want some pods Devv. ha ha. You have the light right, nothing better than 6500k. I just tried out led and it worked fine, but they will stay green longer before nut. with 6500k. Good luck.

Stevedesertpepper said:
I want some pods Devv. ha ha. You have the light right, nothing better than 6500k. I just tried out led and it worked fine, but they will stay green longer before nut. with 6500k. Good luck.

Thanks Steve!

If I do well I always share ;)

So I finally had soil tests done this winter. I know I needed to; as I'm not happy with the gardens performance pepper wise. The first one I had done by the Aggies in College Station; it came back with some crazy numbers. The Ph came back high @ 7.8; as expected. I know I'm suffering nute lock out. If 'yall are reading Rick's (Stickman) glog, you know he's working on getting his soil in line. He referenced the book 'The Intelligent Gardner'; I bought the book, it's a good read!

So I sent my soil out again to Logan labs in Ohio and had them test it 2 ways; the M3 and the AA 8.2 tests. The M3 test which the Aggies used came out pretty close to the Logan labs test. The AA 8.2 shows the true amount of Calcium as much of it is locked up by the crazy high Ph. So available Calcium levels show to be 8 times lower than what the M3 test shows. The 2 tests showed 7.8 Ph (Agggies) 8.3 Ph (Logans). My Ph test of the soil showed 7.8. My water tests @ 8.2.

I also tested my rain water Ph, it tests @ 6.2. I always use that until I run out. Semi desert here so I never have enough. I'm currently testing the effects of General Hydroponics Ph down against my well water using Ph test strips. So far a tablespoon per 4 gallons is still putting the Ph off the charts on the low side of the test strips. I like that cuz I'm cheap, and I only want to use just enough. A Ph of 6.2 water applied to my garden will be 20 times better Ph wise than straight up well water. That and I'm making more Calcium available to the plants, as what's in the water (a lot) will be more accessable.

The rest of the soil test showed some other minor deficiencies that can be made up with a Chelated Iron foliar  product. Gypsum needs to be added to help things too.

I do want to make mention that 3 years ago I bought 16 yards of heavy soil and mainly introduced it to the 1,600 square feet of the garden I use. I did this to combat the constant leaching of the sand I have here. Oh, it fixed that; but I feel it was limed quite heavily from wherever it came from; which created my "issues". My garden grew better before I introduced the heavy soil. Lesson learned, if you import soil in, have it tested first!

Scott,
I use one of these to test my water...
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-0-1pH-Accuracy-Tester-Measurement/dp/B00PU0W35K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1517008435&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=ph+meter&psc=1

It works very well and is budget friendly! I also use GH PH down for my hydro systems and it is really good. For me it is about 1 cap full to a 5 gallon bucket of water which puts me between 5.7 and 6.2. Should be a banner year once you get it all sorted out!

BTW I also use the rest of the GH lineup including their bloom, veg, micro and Calimagic. Great lineup.

stickman said:
S'right brother, farmers are usually conservative for a reason. [emoji6]

We're pullin' for ya on this end Scott... Fingers crossed for a bumper crop in '18. [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Rick!

This IS going to be a good year!

stc3248 said:
Scott,
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-0-1pH-Accuracy-Tester-Measurement/dp/B00PU0W35K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1517008435&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=ph+meter&psc=1

It works very well and is budget friendly! I also use GH PH down for my hydro systems and it is really good. For me it is about 1 cap full to a 5 gallon bucket of water which puts me between 5.7 and 6.2. Should be a banner year once you get it all sorted out!

BTW I also use the rest of the GH lineup including their bloom, veg, micro and Calimagic. Great lineup.

Thanks Shane!

I have a good electronic Ph meter I use for sauces I make; but I didn't want to use it for every day water testing use. I'll buy that one you mentioned for water samples, as it's very well priced!

And I'll look at the rest of their products!

It's about time I stopped just dumping organic materials in the soil and look at what  really have ;)

All caught Scott.I love your renewed effort on germination simplicity.I like you believe less handling the better.I was watering in a baby pool my 6 inch pots before they go outside.(A trick I learned from you.)This year I redid my grow table to run indoor drip lines for 60 plants that I can shut off or turn on each emitter as needed.My back is going to love me for this addition. ;)

randyp said:
All caught Scott.I love your renewed effort on germination simplicity.I like you believe less handling the better.I was watering in a baby pool my 6 inch pots before they go outside.(A trick I learned from you.)This year I redid my grow table to run indoor drip lines for 60 plants that I can shut off or turn on each emitter as needed.My back is going to love me for this addition. ;)

Hi Randy!

It's really working well for me ;) The last few days I've been up-potting the babies to the #1 pots. There's not much else I can do around here with the way my back has been the last 10 days. I think It's coming around, as it needs too! I like what you're doing this year, I hope it works well for you ;) 

stc3248 said:
Scott,

Ordered one of those today; thanks for the tip! I came out with 6.4 in 5 gallons with a tablespoon of the acid, made the final test with the Hanna I use for sauces. Once I get the new one I'm going to get the Ph down just a few more tenths. The next thing I need to do is figure out what I want to do to premix a larger volume and do this in the garden, so I don't have to haul it. One step at a time.

Back