• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Devv said:
220.jpg

Oh this looks like pain on the vine...

221.jpg

222.jpg

Any ideas? Pepper maggots?

223.jpg

Just a few :dance:

Yeah Baby! Is that colored Chinense a BBM?

It's kinda hard to say if they're pepper maggots that made the holes unless you open up the pod and find they ate the placenta and left frass behind. I hope not!

Bhuter said:
Very nice, Scott! Is that ripening chocolate pod a BBM? Maybe those holes are bird pecks?? Gettin' at the seeds?? I don't know. Just guessing.

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't see the next page.
 I'm hoping it stops!

Every time LB goes to pick a pod from the Farmers Jalapeno it's ruined. So far whatever it is it hitting just one plant.

Yes, a BBM. I know BBM stands for Big Black Mama, maybe it should be Big Bad Muther... :shh:

Devv said:
 I'm hoping it stops!

Every time LB goes to pick a pod from the Farmers Jalapeno it's ruined. So far whatever it is it hitting just one plant.

Yes, a BBM. I know BBM stands for Big Black Mama, maybe it should be Big Bad Muther... :shh:

That's a bummer. Have you gotten to try ANY Farmers jals yet? I don't know if you have more than one plant of it.

Hey Devv, is there a thread about your soil admending quest? I grow in raised beds with my local dirt which is has a lot of clay. I added a lot of peat to it for this year, along with coffee grounds and eggshells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Hey Devv, is there a thread about your soil admending quest? I grow in raised beds with my local dirt which is has a lot of clay. I added a lot of peat to it for this year, along with coffee grounds and eggshells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman's glog goes into way more detail, especially the first few pages. Logan Labs in Ohio for the soil testing, and the book in the online format is here:
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=SC6YjYyC8gEC&rdid=book-SC6YjYyC8gEC&rdot=1&source=gbs_vpt_read&pcampaignid=books_booksearch_viewport

The book goes into detail about how to bring the soil to meet the desired levels of all the essential nutrients and minerals.

My soil is sandy, but the last place I grew a large garden back in the early 80's was iron ore/clay. I added leaves and tilled them in back then and it came out just fine. If I had to do it again with clay I would add sand and the compost type materials. But you never know where you're at until the soil gets tested. My Ph is in the mid 8's, and the Phosphorus was low. Also a bit low on Nitrogen. I added a half dose of elemental sulfur (more to come later) to lower the Ph. I set up the rain water system to use water that's at 6.5 versus 8.3 (Ph). Fish bone meal for the Phosphorus, blood meal for nitrogen, and it's acidic, so it helps the Ph a tiny bit. That and a 50-50 mix of kelp meal and Azomite for minerals.

Some pics!

225.jpg

First Peaches....

226.jpg

I have 8 or 12? peach trees. Don't make me go count...LOL When I bought them I had no idea what to buy for my area; so I bought 2 of each with chill numbers that increased. So numbers like 300 up to 800 hours. Chill hours are hours below 40°, and they won't flower until that number is met. Don't ask me how they count (know) where they are in the number game, but they do. Most (all?) years the low number trees set, but a late frost could kill the flowers or young Peaches. This is where the higher number trees come in and save the day. Well this year they ALL are pretty loaded down. This one is a low hour tree, and they seem to grow faster too. I pulled 200 plus Peaches from this tree when they were shooter marble sized, and it's still loaded. As soon as they blossom I trim back 40% of the tree. I wait until I see flowers so I don't cut too much of last years wood, as the one year old wood is where the fruit sets.

Peach Yellow Bonnet Jelly will be made again this year :P

228.jpg

Charli dog photo bombing...

Harvester (cut) ants hit this tree. The birds will have a field day :shh: They like to peck each one so it's ruined..

227.jpg

Zapotec Jalapeno in a container. I have 3 isolated for seeds, and EATING!

229.jpg

A not. I saved seeds from my Aji Oro. Looks like it crossed with an Aji Largo. I wonder? Red or Yellow, maybe Orange pods? No matter, they will eat :D

230.jpg

The pubes sit under a Live Oak. They do just OK there. Pubes and Tejas really don't do that well together, but we get a few here and there.

231.jpg

Pepper row. The Annuum's are setting nicely, the Chinense no so much. Being we have rain forecast I hit them, and all the maters with 2 tablespoons of Tomato Tone. I do this every 3-4 weeks.

232.jpg

Plenty of grapes on the vine. Scotch Bonnet Grape Jelly :P Yum! I moved these into the garden either last year or the year before because I can protect them from the birds, who ate every last one in the past.

233.jpg

PDN x Bonda White. I think the dirty gal is ahead of this one..

241.jpg

Yeah it is!

235.jpg

much better, even if the pole leans a bit. It's an illusion...yeah that's it..but it does offset the one behind it. I call it symmetry :shh:

236.jpg

Rick...um...I never did trim them. Maybe tomorrow. I never have time to relax, so I took it this afternoon :D

237.jpg

The only plants I didn't hit with ferts, they don't need any. And they dry out so much faster; I guess because the hugel bed soil is not as deep. That and I haven't charged it with water. Last year I would stick a hose in there and let it fill up until the water ran out into the beds on the other side of the fence. This would take about 6 hours. I don't know what's going on with the Onions falling over so soon, and doing so before they go brown. Fall Onions?  LOL

238.jpg

One of the Growdown plants, and I did snip that tomato branch..

240.jpg

It has one pod. And it looks quite gnarly ;)

239.jpg

My other growdown plant. It's a flower dropping son of a gun!

Nice peach tree!  I love peaches.  I had a tree for about 10 years.  Frost got the blossoms one year, but every other one it was loaded with fruit.  When the peaches would get about the size pecans, gray squirrels would strip would strip every peach off the tree.  They'd take one bite and drop the peach to the ground.  In all those years I did not get one peach.  

I often threatened get my 5mm Sheridan and harvest the squirrels, but the city police frown on that.  (Dragged through flour and sauteed in butter, they're darn good.)

cone9 said:
Nice peach tree!  I love peaches.  I had a tree for about 10 years.  Frost got the blossoms one year, but every other one it was loaded with fruit.  When the peaches would get about the size pecans, gray squirrels would strip would strip every peach off the tree.  They'd take one bite and drop the peach to the ground.  In all those years I did not get one peach.  

I often threatened get my 5mm Sheridan and harvest the squirrels, but the city police frown on that.  (Dragged through flour and sauteed in butter, they're darn good.)

Can't you put something around the tree to stop them from climbing?

And pellet guns are way quiet, I'd be warming up the fryer ;) :shh:

Devv said:
I had a request for some of my work...

(img)

Laminated Mesquite rifle stock. Mesquite dresser

(img)

his and hers, I cut the boards from Mesquite logs...

(img)

(img)

Before it was finished...

(img)

Some Birch work...

Impressive work! Thank you for posting. I would love to have the tools and skills to do that. I'd need some trees too, I guess  :party:

Devv said:
(img)

(img)

This Orangegum Tigermamp continues to impress, it's growing like crazy.

(img)

No shortage of Padrons it seems..

(img)

I need to be cloned..

And again, impressive work. I envy your garden more and more! So much green!

b3rnd said:

Impressive work! Thank you for posting. I would love to have the tools and skills to do that. I'd need some trees too, I guess  :party:

And again, impressive work. I envy your garden more and more! So much green!

Thanks!

The cost for the equipment really wasn't that bad; and paid for itself when I did the kitchen. So the rest was labor. I'm one of those who do things in bursts, and really need to get back at it. Time is the biggest issue. And the garden takes a lot of it!

Bhuter said:
Very nice updates, Scott! Fantastic woodworking! You DO need to be cloned. Lol. OrangeGum TigerMAMP is looking great! And your Live Oak has nice Pubes.

Thanks Adam!

If I had a clone I could send him to work and I could stay home ;) Retirement is getting closer; just a bit more than 18 months. I'm more than ready!

LOL on the Live Oak :rofl:

Bhuter said:
This is brilliant.

Yes, so let's get to work! :rolleyes:

So, not much going on here except a few garlic I pulled the other day. That and rain is forecast!

252.jpg

Last year we had so much rain the garlic all rotted. So I lost all my seed stock; I've been using my own garlic for 4-5 years prior to the loss. I found this variety in the store and bought a bunch of it because the cloves were so dang large. I pull it as the tops brown, and this type seems to grow fast and ripen early. I have the regular white bulb garlic growing too. If it gets too wet it will come out early. Here I plant September 15th and usually harvest in June.

Back