• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

stickman said:
That garlic looks really nice Scott! Y'know... the Sicilians say that garlic is better than 10 mothers, and they love their mothers! Lol!

Thanks Rick!

I still have a bunch in the dirt, I only pull it when the tops brown. I hope the rest make ;)

Genetikx said:
Holy cow Scott. I know your season is early but those plants are monsters. If only we all could have such success, great growing!!!

Thanks Ryan!

I'm going to be cutting it close regarding the pod setting. 90's slated for next week, sunshades going up this weekend.

We got 2.7"s today of rain, our place needed it! Hail was forecast, we lucked out :shh:

Devv said:

Thanks!

This is my first time growing them. How do you use them?

Well its my first time as well but one of my small plants had 3 pods and i couldn't wait (I Know) so i cooked them up in a little olive oil and put some sea salt on them after WOW! i love them can't wait to eat more  :drooling: 

Sinn said:

Well its my first time as well but one of my small plants had 3 pods and i couldn't wait (I Know) so i cooked them up in a little olive oil and put some sea salt on them after WOW! i love them can't wait to eat more  :drooling: 

Good to hear!

I have a few getting close ;)

253.jpg

We'll be picking a few peppers tomorrow, Gochu's are coming on!

258.jpg

Brainreapers look like they're going orange, maybe red?

259.jpg

261.jpg

Aji Dulce's. They have the Chinense taste with zero heat.

260.jpg

Not knowing when to pick these I googled. Don't google big black mamma, you get results based on the wrong type of heat....if you know what I mean ;)

But when I did correctly google big black mama, the site said they range from deep red/black to a dark brown. So I'm guessing mine are going to be the color above...

262.jpg

Grape maters showing color first!

jedisushi06 said:
that pumpkin bbg looks insane.  How's the flavor????
Oh yeah, I posted those from last years' grow. Thank you! I love this variety. It was very fruity with floral notes to it. Aroma was potent. It was a lot hotter than expected, too. It has the prickly scorpion burn, at least to me. I made a pot of chili last week and only used one crushed, dried pod (2 halves) to heat it up to nose-running level. I have one plant of it this year and it's going in my "sweet spot" in the garden. Highly recommended! I can send seeds your way if you need any.

Devv said:
253.jpg

258.jpg

259.jpg

261.jpg

260.jpg

Not knowing when to pick these I googled. Don't google big black mamma, you get results based on the wrong type of heat....if you know what I mean ;)

But when I did correctly google big black mama, the site said they range from deep red/black to a dark brown. So I'm guessing mine are going to be the color above...

262.jpg

Truly stellar results Scott! Glad your chiles and 'maters are coloring up. I'd be curious to hear your take on flavor and aroma after adding your soil amendments this year. I think I notice a difference, but wondered if you do to.

That BBM looks like it'll really hurt... I'm looking forward to your review and pics! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Devv said:
253.jpg

258.jpg

259.jpg

261.jpg

260.jpg

262.jpg

Alright!!! Ripening is happening!!! I like the texture of the BBM & Brain Reaper. Surely they will be evil. Maters, too? Amazing!

stickman said:
Truly stellar results Scott! Glad your chiles and 'maters are coloring up. I'd be curious to hear your take on flavor and aroma after adding your soil amendments this year. I think I notice a difference, but wondered if you do to.

That BBM looks like it'll really hurt... I'm looking forward to your review and pics! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Rick!

I'm pleased with the results so far. LB and I are making a Poblano based sauce for chicken enchiladas at the moment. We're adding some extra Padrons and Gochu's to the recipe for more flavor. I will say when scorching the Pobs, the aroma was great, much better than store bought, or even last years. The best thing for me is the fruit sizes are larger. I always wondered how the store bought peppers got so large ;)  We're finally seeing it here this season....

Bhuter said:
Alright!!! Ripening is happening!!! I like the texture of the BBM & Brain Reaper. Surely they will be evil. Maters, too? Amazing!

Thanks Adam!

I picked both BBM peppers today, one to gift to my buddy at our favorite Mexican restaurant the other to share some pain at work!

Evil I'm sure!

Devv said:

Thanks Adam!

I picked both BBM peppers today, one to gift to my buddy at our favorite Mexican restaurant the other to share some pain at work!

Evil I'm sure!

You know your friend at the Mexican Restaurant is gonna dare his buddies to try a piece. Lol.

Trident chilli said:
Excellent to see your hard work producing such great results Scott ... Agree with Adam great outer skin on the BBM pod is it one of many

Thanks John!

We're getting good results, and should do really well if the heat holds off a bit longer. I only have 2 pods from that plant. The weather has been rather sketchy; too many late cold fronts causing flower drop. Now it wants to be 90° tomorrow. We have such a short season due to the fast ramp up in temps.

LB and I didn't get much done this weekend; we had #5 G-kid over since Friday. Charlytte is just 2 and it's been 14 years since we watched one so young. She wore us out!

LB took her Peach picking this morning.

263.jpg

We would really like to not pick them when they still have some green on them; but it's us or the birds....

264.jpg

A modest pull.

265.jpg

Pain for my fellow employees who dare in the morning :shh:

Back