• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Sorry to hear about the windy weather, Scott. I can
tolerate just about any kind of weather but wind. So
destructive and relentless. Hope everything stood
back up okay.

On the bright side, your plants are awesome, and I
am stoked to see some great podding underway.

I hope your Mystery Pepper turns out to be a PdNxBMJ
white. Would be nice to see it bookended by those two
purples!

Surprise PT! I need to step up my game.

Devv said:

Ate a Yellow Bonnet (P. Dreadie) with breakfast yesterday, no heat what so ever. Early cold pod ;)

That was just 2 turkeys, sometimes we count over 20 in the field. I used to hunt them until I had to clean one..LOL

My dad would just cut the breasts out and throw the rest of the bird to the dogs. Then he would do the breasts in a crock pot with taters, onions and carrots. And lots of black pepper. One of my favorite meals for sure.

Glad the sugar rush cream are podding up for you! I don't remember if mine had the little points on the bottom like yours.
Plants are looking good! Hopefully the wind knocking them down wont set them back much.

Oh, and that peanut brittle is pretty damn good! Everyone likes it.
If I was gonna make some I think I would go extra heavy on the peanuts.

Devv said:

Thanks Eric!

You'll git thar ;)  I don't know how ya do it though. I don't miss the NY winters one bit. BTW 40° slated for the morning.

That aint April Tejas weather!

Yeah, I thought we were coming out of it yesterday, almost 60 degrees, went out barefoot fercryinoutloud...We had a YUGE thunderstorm Saturday night...Now they're predicting snow for midweek...

We don't have Spring here, we have Roller Coaster.

PaulG said:
Sounds like spring in the PNW, Eric! Except for 
the snow, but even that can happen!

Well, we have potential threat of snow right up til June 1, and can have frost as early as August, depending on the cycling of the seasons. We're still on an upslope in the environmental bio-rhythm since the last glacial age around 10,000 years ago. There are vineyards in my neighborhood again. Downside? WE'RE IN ZONE 3!!! The variables will never change. Only place the weather was worse for me was Cheyenne WY, where I spent 3 years in the early 90s. No, I didn't grow anything there. It snowed in July, fergawdsake!!

Almost any vegetable but peppers, right?

PaulG said:
Sorry to hear about the windy weather, Scott. I can
tolerate just about any kind of weather but wind. So
destructive and relentless. Hope everything stood
back up okay.

On the bright side, your plants are awesome, and I
am stoked to see some great podding underway.

I hope your Mystery Pepper turns out to be a PdNxBMJ
white. Would be nice to see it bookended by those two
purples!

Surprise PT! I need to step up my game.

Thanks Paul,

Things look better today, the plants I worked on were horizontal...LOL
I have a 6 foot fence on the North and East sides, 3.5 foot on the South and West. The damage came from the North. I guess I need a higher fence?

Yes sir, I'm hoping the mystery is a white. I came up when I was sowing maters in the pots I had gave up on. It's much lighter so maybe???

90° and 93° the next 2 days. Never can tell here..

Walchit said:
My dad would just cut the breasts out and throw the rest of the bird to the dogs. Then he would do the breasts in a crock pot with taters, onions and carrots. And lots of black pepper. One of my favorite meals for sure.

Glad the sugar rush cream are podding up for you! I don't remember if mine had the little points on the bottom like yours.
Plants are looking good! Hopefully the wind knocking them down wont set them back much.

Oh, and that peanut brittle is pretty damn good! Everyone likes it.
If I was gonna make some I think I would go extra heavy on the peanuts.

That sound like a plan if I ever shoot another. Nowadays I just like to see them ;)

This time of the year I can hear them all day long gobbling. I may shoot one in the fall if they come in to the feeders. I hunted deer here for 2 years before shooting one. And, I saw deer on every hunt. Finally, it took 30 years for us to see game around here.

So how can I tell when the Sugar Rush Cream get ripe? Wait until one is getting soft? I'm finding out that the Annuums and the Baccatums like it here the best. I get a few pods from the Pubes, and hopefully the Chinense will do me right this season.

Glad everyone like the Jalapeno Peanut Brittle. I have a recipe for Peanut Brittle if you need it, I would guess powder is the Jal flavor.

stettoman said:

Yeah, I thought we were coming out of it yesterday, almost 60 degrees, went out barefoot fercryinoutloud...We had a YUGE thunderstorm Saturday night...Now they're predicting snow for midweek...

We don't have Spring here, we have Roller Coaster.

We're having the same roller coaster here as well. Last Tuesday it was 35°, I had the sprinklers running on a 3.5 hour timer. But when I saw frost on the roofs in town I ran home for a quick check. Glad we live on the ridge!

I sure do hope your zone 3 warms up for you soon!

Crazy weather, 35° close to 2 weeks ago, then 95° this last Wednesday, and this morning 45°. Both the low and the high set records..

We've had 2 storms from the West with lots of wind, yesterdays wasn't near as bad as last weeks. The fencing around the garden sure did help!

Had someone PM me today Bhuter ;)  Good to hear from him!

Some pics In no specific order:

149.jpg

150.jpg

Maters are killing it, I sure wish I could get the same performance from the peppers!

151.jpg

153.jpg

154.jpg

Paul's Purples ;)

155.jpg

Had the camera in "auto". I used a Cannon for 13-14 years and it never did this. I now have a Nikon, I have to put it into 'A' aperture mode, to get the F stop high enough to have everything in focus. Wish I never gave my daughter that Cannon. She hocked it I'm sure..

158.jpg

The Bacs love it here. Sugar Rush Cream

159.jpg

Aji Amarillo

160.jpg

Large Orange Thai, I see a pod in the center!

161.jpg

Garlic stems are yuuge!

I'd better submit this before the pic po-po's catch me..

162.jpg

The Garlic is in the Hugel Bed. 7-8"s of soil on 2 feet of wood. Yeah, I dug out a 20x6 by 3' deep bed for this..works great ;)

163.jpg

The Onions and one GD plant in the wanna be Terra Preta experiment bed. There's the fence on the North and East for wind protection. The Terra Preta bed has 7"s of soil on top of 5-6"s of homemade char. This one works well too..

164.jpg

Pepper row..hoping they catch up to the maters soon!

165.jpg

Big Jim's, (hot hatches)

166.jpg

Storm damage on a P. Dreadie :mope:

167.jpg

2 Aji Amarillo plants, I topped one, just to see if production gets better. No pods on the shorter one..time will tell..

168.jpg

One of the growdown plants. Sure am glad we have an Annuum this year; they do well here..

169.jpg

2 of the GD plants that got their bhut handed to them vis the wind. I propped them back up...again..

170.jpg

Outside the fence, Red Taters, FTW (for the wife)

Sawyer said:
Sorry about the P. Dreadie, hopefully it recovers well enough. Everything else is looking pretty great. Any particular reason you've let those onions in the terra preta bed bloom?

Thanks John,

The ones that are flowering are volunteers. I'm just letting them go to see what happens. Even with the ones I start from seed, some bolt, and never make an Onion. Warm weather?

Could also be day length on the onions.  Some are long day, some are short day, and some are day neutral.  Might want to research that.  I don't know which you'd want to grow in your area.
Devv said:

Thanks John,

The ones that are flowering are volunteers. I'm just letting them go to see what happens. Even with the ones I start from seed, some bolt, and never make an Onion. Warm weather?

Everything looks good, Scott, despite the slow take-off
of the chili peppers. They will get it in gear, I'm sure.
Extremes of weather really suck for chilis. They like it
nice and consistent.

Hope you can avoid more wind storms, Scott. That's
a shame about the 'Dreadie. Looks like there is enough
left to grow out and maybe OW.

Thanks Paul,

I'm hoping they will take off, but potential bad storms tomorrow evening. That and I have about 30 days before the real heat comes in...sigh.

I did start putting the shade cloth up today, got 2 20x20 40% cloths over the peppers. I lost a few Bell's and Ancho's to sun scald already. So I'm 30 days ahead of the normal sunshade application.

Not that upset about the Dreadie, I have 2 others. But I do hate to see them damaged..

Bhuter said:
Yeeeehaaaaw! In the ground! Whew! You've been busy while I've been hibernating. Everything looks fantastic! Even the ladybugs! I can't wait!!

Great stuff!

So good to see you back Adam! Quite a few peep's were like "where's Bhuter?"

We had another storm last night, the garden took it well. This afternoon it's been so windy, out of the North I didn't spend much time outside except to check for damage and make sure the maters grow inside the next rung, versus going out side. I have 5 of the Pink Germans going and they're loading up nicely.

Last fall we had close to 40"s of rain and it certainly leached the amendments out I added last year. So, I'm playing catch-up. I should have done a soil test :banghead: :rolleyes:

/facepalm

Scott.....I...uhhh.....

Scott your killin me here, can't even put into words how awesome it all looks man. Will gladly send ya some snow if your interested

Me- 'Wonders how much it would cost to Fedex a box of snow to Texas?'

CDNmatt said:
/facepalm

Scott.....I...uhhh.....

Scott your killin me here, can't even put into words how awesome it all looks man. Will gladly send ya some snow if your interested

Me- 'Wonders how much it would cost to Fedex a box of snow to Texas?'

Thanx Matty!

Your time will come and it won't end like mine. By mid June I'm pretty much done here. Nothing likes setting fruit in the high 90's to low 100's. So it's always go fast and hard early and keep ones fingers crossed!

Back