• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Sawyer said:
Man, I had one of those last year.  I couldn't even restrain myself long enough to save some seeds.  They're like candy.  I got some seeds but only had 1 of 8 germinate from the first planting.  I replanted but haven't seen anything yet.  Oh well, if there's only one plant it will be well pampered.

Another sweet one I'm trying this year that I have high hopes for is the Sulu Adana from Judy.  Not only sweet, it's supposed to be extremely juicy as well.  I'm going to have them strategically placed around the garden for a quick refreshing bite.  I have seven of these growing, so barring a disaster I should be okay with them.
Those peppers sound awesome they would be right down my mom's alley.
She keeps talking about how good Carmen's are.
Scott your plants are beautiful the cream fatalii seems like a cool plan
Everything is nice but that Texas heat is murder my mom is form Texas and we used to visit there in the summer sometimes.
She grew up in the Dallas area .
My parents moved down here when my grandparents moved here to retire.
Mom and my uncle have made trips down there to visit friends and what little family that is left there .
I am glad you are doing better and the weather is better there as well.

stickman said:

S'reet Scott... cheap 'n effective. :) As the pallets rot I just slide them off the U-posts and slide new ones on. The old ones go to the community fire pit if there's enough burnable wood, or get broken up for the compost if not.

Spring "breakup" is upon us now. The Maple sap has been running for a couple of weeks, but about 3 weeks later than usual. We went from 3 feet of snow to a foot or a bit more in the last week. Glad to see things are warming up for you now, hopefully it'll work its way up to us in the next few weeks.

As dry as it gets here I should get a few years. The framing is treated (used). I have 10 bucks invested as I needed to buy more screws. I still have some treated materials which I'll use to replace the cedar and pine when it rots.

The 10 day shows us nearing 80° from Sunday through Thursday, so this weekend, if dry enough the peppers will find the dirt!

You shouldn't be far behind!

Sawyer said:

Man, I had one of those last year.  I couldn't even restrain myself long enough to save some seeds.  They're like candy.  I got some seeds but only had 1 of 8 germinate from the first planting.  I replanted but haven't seen anything yet.  Oh well, if there's only one plant it will be well pampered.

Another sweet one I'm trying this year that I have high hopes for is the Sulu Adana from Judy.  Not only sweet, it's supposed to be extremely juicy as well.  I'm going to have them strategically placed around the garden for a quick refreshing bite.  I have seven of these growing, so barring a disaster I should be okay with them.

If you want some seeds I saved a bunch, I had 3 or 4 last year growing. Let me know ;)

cone9 said:
I hope you get a nice peach crop, Scott.  I love tree ripened peaches!

At my first house, where I lived for ten years, I planted a Belle of Georgia white peach.  It's a wonderfully delicious, mild peach.  It bore a great crop every year.  I ate loads of fresh peaches, made pies and peach wine.

After we built our present house in '93 I planted a couple peach trees the next summer.  The white peach died from wind damage after a couple years.  The other was there until I cut it down last summer.  It set a huge crop every year but I NEVER tasted a ripe peach.  The squirrels would strip every peach from the tree before they were as big as a golf ball.  Every year I'd think; "this will be the year!", but no.  Heavy snows last winter split the tree in half and I finally gave up.  

Guess I'll have to be satified with farmer's market peaches!

Thanks Dave!

That's why we have 14-15 trees, but it's the birds. We have tons of Squirrels here, and I think I need to thin them out. 8 or 10 hang right around the house and damage strawberries, eat dog food and just need to go away...LOL

PaulG said:
"Just remember, come July, for the most part we're done here."

We'll just be hitting our stride then!
Are you going to get a 'second season' this Fall?

I'm going to see how I feel. I've been ill ( allergies and stupidity for not taking care of them) since before Christmas. I haven't been on as much lately because I'm out walking a few miles every day, (and at work). The desk job is bad for my health. I feel better since last weeks trip to the emergency clinic, but still not up to my old self. Scott's more important than the garden ;)

twilliams386 said:
Man those plants are lookin super healthy! The thickness of those cream fatalii leaves is fantastic. I'm so glad south tx is finally warming and stabilizing.
Completely jealous of the space you have and the size of your plants. I'm gonna remember to follow along so I can sow when you do next year lol

Thanks TW!

I sowed in late December, for peppers it seemed right on this year!
Plantguy76 said:
Those peppers sound awesome they would be right down my mom's alley.
She keeps talking about how good Carmen's are.
Scott your plants are beautiful the cream fatalii seems like a cool plan
Everything is nice but that Texas heat is murder my mom is form Texas and we used to visit there in the summer sometimes.
She grew up in the Dallas area .
My parents moved down here when my grandparents moved here to retire.
Mom and my uncle have made trips down there to visit friends and what little family that is left there .
I am glad you are doing better and the weather is better there as well.

Thanks!

The sunshade is the ticket to help beat the Tejas sun. The other thing I do is get them out in the dirt as soon as they can be productive. Our productivity is not what I would like, due to the heat, we plant more to compensate ;)

Peter S said:
Just getting caught back up on your glog. Man, your plants are looking really nice! Glad you are feeling better.

Thanks Peter!

Hopefully pepper dirt day is this Saturday!

jedisushi06 said:
Cool I had bad germination rates too, I have one jacks chocolate that took almost a month to sprout! I've got three red buthlah clamshell plants though.

You know, I had the heat mat in action this year. had it set at 80°. The first 2 weeks germ rates were fantastic, then tapered off. I even replanted the ones that didn't come up. They never did....

Devv said:
Okies,

A bit of an update today, I know call me slackie boy...

88.jpg

Group shot of the trailer trash ;)  A few have some sunburn.

I left some sunscreen out there....too lazy?

89.jpg

MoA, with classic leaf shape and growth pattern. That's not Aphids, it's saw dust from making a compost bin.

90.jpg

Pimenta De Padron. Looks like a monster in the making...

92.jpg

Brazilian Star, another I'm gonna be tall plant!

93.jpg

Urfa Biber, ready to make little Biber's (please help us) ;)

94.jpg

Naga Brain, F4 model...

95.jpg

Cream Fatalii.

Got some garden work in. Tilled the last of the Rye in, finished the 400sf addition to the shade frame. And the almost finished compost bin. It still needs a top and a door to keep the critters out. Mainly made from scraps my packrat self saves. Had to buy screws ;)

85.jpg

Some Comfrey and Rye LB picked on top...still need to trim back 5 Comfrey plants..

84.jpg

Just a beautiful day today! The weather is finally seasonal. It was 50° at 8:30 when we took a hike, and 74° now at 3PM. And the 10 day forecast looks perfect; I'm so tempted to plant out...but I won't until the soil warms some more ;)

The 400sf of added shade frame. You can also see LB's work, just one pole to weed around. She's the best!

Still more work to do before we declare "we're caught up". And thank goodness for the edit button..

Thanks for reading!
Them bad boys looking awesome pal!

Devv said:
Okies,

A bit of an update today, I know call me slackie boy...

88.jpg

Group shot of the trailer trash ;)  A few have some sunburn.

I left some sunscreen out there....too lazy?

89.jpg

MoA, with classic leaf shape and growth pattern. That's not Aphids, it's saw dust from making a compost bin.

90.jpg

Pimenta De Padron. Looks like a monster in the making...

92.jpg

Brazilian Star, another I'm gonna be tall plant!

93.jpg

Urfa Biber, ready to make little Biber's (please help us) ;)

94.jpg

Naga Brain, F4 model...

95.jpg

Cream Fatalii.

Got some garden work in. Tilled the last of the Rye in, finished the 400sf addition to the shade frame. And the almost finished compost bin. It still needs a top and a door to keep the critters out. Mainly made from scraps my packrat self saves. Had to buy screws ;)

85.jpg

Some Comfrey and Rye LB picked on top...still need to trim back 5 Comfrey plants..

84.jpg

Just a beautiful day today! The weather is finally seasonal. It was 50° at 8:30 when we took a hike, and 74° now at 3PM. And the 10 day forecast looks perfect; I'm so tempted to plant out...but I won't until the soil warms some more ;)

The 400sf of added shade frame. You can also see LB's work, just one pole to weed around. She's the best!

Still more work to do before we declare "we're caught up". And thank goodness for the edit button..

Thanks for reading!
total envy for this wonderful amazing BEAutiful Garden....babies looking greeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn... :fireball:

Pinoy83 said:
total envy for this wonderful amazing BEAutiful Garden....babies looking greeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn... :fireball:

Thanks Jericson!

I have many years and hours put into the garden to turn it from sand into nice soil. We wouldn't have this place if the wife (LB) hadn't found it. She called me at work one day, go look at this place NOW! Back then, in 1989 it was going for dirt cheap (you would be amazed) ;)

Jeff H said:

Wishing you luck Scott. It would be great to get them in the dirt this weekend. That way, we Northerners could live vicariously through you. :rofl:

Thanks Jeff!

If I can get them in I will. We're 'sposed to have a, ahem "a major rain event" this weekend 2 to 8 inches depending...

Sawyer said:

Thanks, but I'd better pass on that.  Check your PM, though.

I found it today, weird I usually get a popup when a new PM comes in...
Rarely when they make a big deal do we get more than a sprinkle here...LOL

Got the seeds you sent Scott thanks alot still nothing with Johns AK reaper seeds I will plant a few of yours maybe I will have a plant or two to give to my friend when he comes up in late may

Devv said:

As dry as it gets here I should get a few years. The framing is treated (used). I have 10 bucks invested as I needed to buy more screws. I still have some treated materials which I'll use to replace the cedar and pine when it rots.

The 10 day shows us nearing 80° from Sunday through Thursday, so this weekend, if dry enough the peppers will find the dirt!

You shouldn't be far behind!

I'm definitely a fan of easy and cheap! To that end, I bought 8 "U-Posts" at Home Depot, stood the pallets up on their sides and pounded the posts down through the slots where the prongs on a fork-lift go. That way, when a pallet starts to rot I can just slide it off and slide another one in its place.

+1 on Jeff's comment about living vicariously... we got another inch of snow last night after losing most of what was on the ground, but that's March in New England for ya. It's a back-and-forth dance, but the over-all trend is upward. I'm hoping to see your babies in the dirt this weekend! :dance:

Devv said:

Are you not worried about whatever they're treated with leaching into your compost?  Maybe it's not an issue; I think Penta and the arsenic-based treatments are no longer used.  (How old are your "used" materials?)  I've also read that raised beds constructed from used RR ties have negligible amounts of creosote even an inch or two from the tie.  Still, it's something I think about.

Plantguy76 said:
Got the seeds you sent Scott thanks alot still nothing with Johns AK reaper seeds I will plant a few of yours maybe I will have a plant or two to give to my friend when he comes up in late may

I've had one come up from the 3/11 sowing.  So now I have two AR Reaper seedlings out of 38 seeds sown.  Pretty poor rate, but better than the 0% I've had from a few others.

Looks good scott.I moved my raised boxes away from the fence and may not use my shade since I added more spots.I am going to be upset when hail season rolls up on me.I do have a tennis racket. ;)

stickman said:

I'm definitely a fan of easy and cheap! To that end, I bought 8 "U-Posts" at Home Depot, stood the pallets up on their sides and pounded the posts down through the slots where the prongs on a fork-lift go. That way, when a pallet starts to rot I can just slide it off and slide another one in its place.

+1 on Jeff's comment about living vicariously... we got another inch of snow last night after losing most of what was on the ground, but that's March in New England for ya. It's a back-and-forth dance, but the over-all trend is upward. I'm hoping to see your babies in the dirt this weekend! :dance:

Well, It looks like mid week to plant. We got close to 2.5"s of rain yesterday. We'll always take the rain here ;)

Sawyer said:

Are you not worried about whatever they're treated with leaching into your compost?  Maybe it's not an issue; I think Penta and the arsenic-based treatments are no longer used.  (How old are your "used" materials?)  I've also read that raised beds constructed from used RR ties have negligible amounts of creosote even an inch or two from the tie.  Still, it's something I think about.

I've had one come up from the 3/11 sowing.  So now I have two AR Reaper seedlings out of 38 seeds sown.  Pretty poor rate, but better than the 0% I've had from a few others.

The treated lumber is 20-25 years old. The uprights are treated as is the bottom. The rest is pine and cedar, so I should be good. And yes this is the old arsenic treated lumber.

randyp said:
    Looks good scott.I moved my raised boxes away from the fence and may not use my shade since I added more spots.I am going to be upset when hail season rolls up on me.I do have a tennis racket. ;)

Thanks Randy!

Hopefully hail won't be an issue for you this season!

Got ya some monsters growing Scotty  :party:

Oh and if you want I can send ya some more large orange thai seeds just drop me a pm . 

Back