• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Sorry to hear you been in the hospital Scott not good at all man you better listen this time around
Get some friends to help with the plants etc
Hope you get better soon !
Wishing you good health

Plantguy76 said:
Planting out in the dirt Scott your plants are really going to take off now!
Scott with your green thumb skills your going to have a great season!
Your plants are already well on there way so there going to have that jump a plus for sure!
Best of luck Scott!

Thanks PG!

LB did a heck of a job on the garden while I was "out of town". Everything looks great!

Roguejim said:
Any luck with the Cherry Bombs germinating, Scott?

Hi Jim,

I have one in the dirt. It's getting there!

stickman said:
It'll be interesting to see if the chiles you plant with the new spacing fill the available growing area... I remember George Carlin saying that your stuff expands to fill any empty space in your home. I wonder if peppers do the same... ;)

Hi Rick,

I hope not! Let them grow up ;)  This is the first time we're using "proper" spacing, so I'm anxious to see how things turn out.

Sawyer said:

That's the same year I moved to Fayetteville. 

Well, that explains a lot.

Anyone that has a garage or spare room knows about expanding stuff!

To those wishing me well:

Thanks, been resting.

LB planted the last 9 peppers this morning, so we should be good to go.

I should be able to snap a few in the morning hopefully.

Thanks for stopping by!

Damn Scott hate to hear your under the weather.I got the good news this week that my hip pain is from moderate osteoarthritis in both hips with bone spurs an flat disc with bone spurs in lower spine(wonder if that has anything to do with the concrete I have paced 10 hr a day the last 16 years.)Getting old has it's pit-falls. :confused:

Devv said:
Hi All,

I'll respond soon. I was taken to the hospital Sunday so they could treat me intravenously, and just got home today (Thursday). So I've had my butt handed to me via this infection. I was told to rest, this time I'll listen.

Thanks for stopping by,

Scott
Oh, i hope all is going fine now!

Sorry to hear, Scottie.  No fun going through that stuff.

You just relax and take it easy for a few hours, and you'll be just fine!

JK.  Be careful, brother.

romy6 said:
 Sending good vibes your way Scotty . Beam yourself up  :pray:
 Thanks Jamie,

They said I could work, but I took the week off anyway. Relapse once, my fault, twice ain't happening ;)

Roguejim said:
Yeah, take better care of yourself.  Has your wife scolded you sufficiently?
 Thanks Jim,

Been hearing I told you so since I got home. She did try to get me to go sooner...but you know...

randyp said:
   Damn Scott hate to hear your under the weather.I got the good news this week that my hip pain is from moderate osteoarthritis in both hips with bone spurs an flat disc with bone spurs in lower spine(wonder if that has anything to do with the concrete I have paced 10 hr a day the last 16 years.)Getting old has it's pit-falls. :confused:

Thanks Randy,

Hard work always takes it's toll, and I have my share of physical issues as well. It seems I could rehab all day long...LOL

Would a rehab plan help? I found a great set of exercises for Carpal. Hope they continue to work after I'm off the mega steroid dose!

Jeff H said:
Hope you're feeling better today Scott. Best wishes on the recovery.

I've been in the hospital once for an infection. That was no fun at all.

Thanks Jeff,

No fun at all! But they really took care of me. But 12 blood tests in 96 hours? My left arm looks like a ghetto Heroine addict.

Essegi said:
Oh, i hope all is going fine now!
 Thanks SG!

Feeling much better, just resting ;)

PaulG said:
Sorry to hear, Scottie.  No fun going through that stuff.

You just relax and take it easy for a few hours, and you'll be just fine!

JK.  Be careful, brother.

Thanks Paul,

I have a nurse coming by today, they say Pneumonia is the number one health issue that patients return to the hospital for. The goal is to educate. For now until I speak to her this afternoon, I chill.

wahlee76 said:
Get well soon Scott.

Thanks Wally!

bpwilly said:
Scott,

Best of luck beating this.  You got to save up all your health so you can retire and have more fun in the garden!

Fun watching your grow this year!

Thanks Willy!

4 years and change and I retire, not that I'm counting:)
OK,

So I knew when I went to bed last night I wasn't going to sleep, which was a good thing. It means I'm starting to get over this crap.

I fed the plants yesterday, 30 minutes one trip, a nap, 20 minutes the next trip. I'm so afraid to over do. I've never been this ill before.

Ok so I did take a few pics....

And it's been a while...

97.jpg

A few overall shots. LB kept things going. Looks like some weeding this weekend...

98.jpg

Tomatoes are kicking it! Chinense to the left.

99.jpg

Potatoes. LB is a nut for fresh taters.

100.jpg

This pretty much shows all the peppers. The Chinense are spaced 5'  between rows and 4' between plants. The Annum's are back there, spaced tighter.

101.jpg

The corn and green beans are doing well. The peppers still haven't settled in. The weather is perfect and they have been fed, so I'm expecting good things from them.

102.jpg

Just another angle...

103.jpg

One of the better looking specimens, a Black Thai.

104.jpg

It's flowering!

105.jpg

A few plants have pods, but this Urfa Biber has the largest by far.

106.jpg

Two weeks ago this Comfrey was stripped to the crowns. Looks like they like it here....but they haven't seen July-August yet...

Thanks for reading! I have some serious catching up to do...

The garden looks great, Scott.  Nice photos and
kudos to LB for keeping a tight ship!

Kick that bug,my friend - you have a lot of garden
years ahead of you!  The weeds might wait another
day or two for ya to get all full of p and v   ;)

Good thoughts coming your way.

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Scott.  The garden looks great.  The comfrey is really kicking it.  Mine has come up, but the rabbits have discovered it already.  Time break out the hot pepper spray.  What's the plant in the right foreground in the second picture up above?  It looks like a cross between a dandelion and a thistle.

Dang Scott, you show me how much I 've been slacking. Had to go back to page 12..haha. Sorry for my absence and also sorry to hear bout the hospital bout, sounds like you are back on your feet again, I'm so glad to hear. I'm kinda the same way when it comes to doctors, minor health problems and wife always nagging at me to make an appointment, make an appointment!! Low and behold I ended up in hospital few months back when my joints locked up on me all better now but hindsight shoulda listen to the voice of reason.

Anyways, I always enjoy running through your glog to watch the magic you got going on over there. Got some perfect looking peppers and the tomatoes really seemed to have taken off. I can already picture the jungle starting to emerge.

Take care bud

Back