• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Scott, did the Aji Panca/Pacay(?), Peppadew, Cherry Bomb, Aji Teapot seeds germinate for you? I was really pulling for the Panca since I grew a 7' plant with zero flowers, and was certain you could bring this beast to fruiting.

Roguejim said:
Scott, did the Aji Panca/Pacay(?), Peppadew, Cherry Bomb, Aji Teapot seeds germinate for you? I was really pulling for the Panca since I grew a 7' plant with zero flowers, and was certain you could bring this beast to fruiting.

I know the Peppadew and cherry bomb did. I'll have to go and look if the Aji's did.

randyp said:
      Looks good Scott,Ya live and learn no-matter who.Them Toms are a calender adjustment that is an easy fix.My seeds hit dirt within 7 days.cant wait. ;)
 Thanks Randy!

Yeah, the farmers are all griping as they won't plant corn and other crops until the cold goes away. I just hope it doesn't go straight into the heat!

Roguejim said:
Damn...that's weird. I grew one Panca plant a couple years back and had more pods than I needed...

Looking great Scott! Can't wait to see all those plants in the ground!

thirdcoasttx said:
Scott you know that heats coming brotha, looking good as always!
 Yeah it is! And thanks!

I'm hoping for no 90's until late May...fat chance!

stc3248 said:
Damn...that's weird. I grew one Panca plant a couple years back and had more pods than I needed...

Looking great Scott! Can't wait to see all those plants in the ground!
 Thanks Shane!

The tom's went in today, peppers are back outside. I want the soil to warm a bit more.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Wow, what a nice glog you got going on here.  Trying to avoid the over crowding in the grow room this year.  Never again do I want to be rootbound in gallon pots with a month to go until plant out. 

Good luck, you should be buried in peppers soon :)

Thanks Jeff!

I did start the peppers a bit later, but still started the tom's too early. They were not root bound but to tall for the lights. ;) :shh:

I'm really fighting the urge to stick the peppers in the ground, last year they just sat there after planting...

So I've been slacking on EVERYTHING, been feeling poor since December with allergies in overdrive. It seems like they took away a small piece of me each day. I wound up in the doctors office with 25% lung capacity and many pulled rib muscles from hacking; they kept me there for 4 hours, but got me fixed up. It's my fault, I'm  pigheaded about going to the doctor ;)

That was Thursday, slept a lot since then (they thought I had the flu too). But today I went for a 1.5 mile walk and got some work done.

The gals came outside today; it's been 2 weeks plus.

77.jpg

Not the pool shots you wanted Adam, but they're in a pool ;)

First drink in 2 weeks.

78.jpg

A group shot...

81.jpg

Got some flowers going on..

80.jpg

This surprised me!

82.jpg

Under the screens, it's been 2 weeks since they saw the sun...

79.jpg

MoA!

75.jpg

76.jpg

Corn, Green beans, Squash, mellons, and Maters hit the dirt. The tom's are buried deep with the crowns just exposed in most cases.

Thanks for reading!

Looking good Scott! 

Sorry to hear of the health issues, glad it's behind you!

I started much later than usual this year, but only a dozen variety's or so.

I think your probably better off to hold back on the in ground date like you said.  Late cold snaps can set them back some.

Take care!

It has been a cold and wet here too, but your way ahead of the game already planting crops in the garden.  Really hate to hear of your allergies glad to hear your feeling better Scott.  Your garden soil looks amazing and the onions and toms just planted beautiful.  Pepper plants all look very healthy just waiting for their turn.  Excited to read your glog every few day checking for updates, you never fail always something to feast my eyes on.  Good luck with the rest of your plant out.

capsidadburn said:
Looking good Scott! 

Sorry to hear of the health issues, glad it's behind you!

I started much later than usual this year, but only a dozen variety's or so.

I think your probably better off to hold back on the in ground date like you said.  Late cold snaps can set them back some.

Take care!

Thanks Mike!

I feel MUCH better. You know it's nice to be able to breath, I think it's kind of important ;)  Energy level is back to normal too!

JJJessee said:
That's a pretty batch a plants ready to hit the dirt, Scott. Hope the weather cooperates from here on out. Onions look like they've established well. Salsa is just around the corner. :)

Thanks JJJ!

The 10 day looks great, after that a couple of weeks of chances for more cold at best.

I hope your feeling better!

Plantguy76 said:
Scott looks like your well on your way nice glog you got here
Best of luck this season but looks like you don't need it

Thanks!

I feel a good year coming on ;)  Can't wait until EVERYTHING is in the ground.

tctenten said:
So jealous Scott, seeing your nice rows of plants in the soil....I can't even see my soil. Everything looks green and healthy.

Thanks Terry!

But we're on different schedules. Just wait and see, for the most part I'll be done by July...and you'll still be going...

Pinoy83 said:
soon to be forest.......babies looks amazing :fireball:  :fireball:  :fireball: .....i wish i have a yard like yours... :mope:

Thanks Jericson!

We bought the place cheap in 1989. No way I could afford it now! I have 20 acres and can't keep up with it :shh:

rory said:
Looking awesome, good job. Your set up for a great year, best of luck.

Thanks Rory!

My fingers are crossed!

PaulS said:
Flowers and a pepper already!
The plants look great even without a drink for two weeks!
I'm looking forward to watching progress on your fruit & veg too

Thanks Paul!

The peppers just seem to sip, while the tomatoes guzzle. I bottom watered them the day the went back inside and they hung in there. I did look at them everyday and checked the weight of the pots... ;)

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
It has been a cold and wet here too, but your way ahead of the game already planting crops in the garden.  Really hate to hear of your allergies glad to hear your feeling better Scott.  Your garden soil looks amazing and the onions and toms just planted beautiful.  Pepper plants all look very healthy just waiting for their turn.  Excited to read your glog every few day checking for updates, you never fail always something to feast my eyes on.  Good luck with the rest of your plant out.

Thanks Cappy!

The allergy thing has been with me for over 50 years. Shots worked for years but then they changed the base solution in the 90's (I was off them for 4 years then), my body doesn't like the newer base, and it could kill me. I've had two different clinics take me off the shots :mope:  It's a long story, my issue is I'm pig headed. And that needs to stop...

Hey your plants are mas stellar! I'm very impressed with your results so far!

Sawyer said:
Scott, your plants are rocking it!  Pepper plant-out can't be too far off if the soil is warm enough for beans and melons.  There's just something about those MoAs, isn't there?  Even at this young age.

Thanks John!

If the soil temps are above 50° then I'll plant next weekend. Or I may have to wait a week. The soil gets darker every year, so maybe next week?

Yeah, I should have planted more MoA's. But this year I chose to not plant things so close, and am using parts of the garden for the first time. I've spent years improving the top 2/3, and am now working on all of it. Trying for a better rotation of the crops.

PaulG said:
Nice to see you are only four months ahead of us here in PNW!  

Your grow looks great, Scott - nice trailer load of peppers, and
veggie plants in the ground!  Some nice flowering going on!

Thanks Paul!

You know what they say, location, location, location.

But as you know, July is pay day here. Unless you want to water every day for an Oct.-Nov. harvest.

Now we have emoticon police...LOL

Everything is looking so nice, Scott.  You really do it right!

Back