• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Diablo's Green Thumb

This seasons seed list

Aside from the chili's I'm going to list, I have some tomatoes and herbs I'll be planting too. I have all the seeds together so I I'm looking at the whole pile and writing what I see.

Carbon Tomato
Celebrity Tomato
Berkeley Tie Dye Pink Tomato

Orange Manzano
Naga Dorset/ Nova
Mustard Habanero

Barakpore 7 pot
Pequin (couldn't get these to germ last year)
Fresno
Tequila Sunrise
Orange Habanero
Aji Lucento
Slow Bolt Cilantro
Sweet Basil
Thai L Hot

I got a lot of these from the generous people here on the site. I'll try and honor your generosity as best I can.

With any luck I'll be getting these in some germing medium and putting them to sprout this weekend.

Impulsive sometimes. I didn't realize it when I picked up the box, I just wanted a little seed starting set up. Turns out I bought the model that had a heating pad. Total accidental score!

I got a lot more seeds in the 72 cell seed starter than I originally laid out. After 3 days, 3 seeds have popped up to over an inch tall, the sun flowers. I also have some lettuce that has popped up. None of the tomatoes or chili's have popped. Needless to say, the chili's out number the rest of the crops. I'll post some pics soon as they start popping up. I'm retrying the Pequin's from last year that failed to germ after 2 separate tries. Hopefully the heating pad will help here.

I've also already started prepping the soil. A friend at work mentioned that I might, instead of tilling the entire area, just dig out where each plant where go and mix that soil with compost and chicken manure and then plant the seedling. I hadn't thought of that. I was already getting ready to prep the entire area to about 8" to 12" deep with tilling in compost. I think I will go with that approach. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon.

Diablo said:
I've also already started prepping the soil. A friend at work mentioned that I might, instead of tilling the entire area, just dig out where each plant where go and mix that soil with compost and chicken manure and then plant the seedling. I hadn't thought of that. I was already getting ready to prep the entire area to about 8" to 12" deep with tilling in compost. I think I will go with that approach. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon.

digging a hole just big enough for your root ball is cool....but...it depends on the drainage characteristics of the soil you are digging a hole in...for instance, when they built the retaining wall in my back yard (18' X 60' rectangle), they were not supposed to use a soil that had a high clay content....but as you may have guessed, they used a high content clay soil...I dug holes in the soil this past year like you are talking about and planted about 25 plants in it...anything from tepins to bell peppers, bulgarian carrot, chocolate habajolokia, pepperoncinis...they produced very little and what they produced were tiny as compared to the other plants in 5 gallon containers...

what I am trying to say I suppose is that if it rains a lot where you are and the soil is kinda Clayey, it may not work because the water will stand in the holes you have dug for a while and you know, peppers with wet roots aren't very happy...

My soil situation is exactly the reason I grow in containers only or one of the raised beds I have...if you grow in containers, you contol the fate of your plants by being able to give the plants what they need when they need it...

AlabamaJack said:
..........what I am trying to say I suppose is that if it rains a lot where you are and the soil is kinda Clayey, it may not work because the water will stand in the holes you have dug for a while and you know, peppers with wet roots aren't very happy......

Thanks AJ, good lookin out. We're really lucky around here to have sandy soils. Mix in the compost and we're ready to rock.

A lot of seeds are popping ahead of the chili's in the seed starter. And they are all suffering from stretch. I'm not using a grow light, just a room with windows, and it's probably 3-4 feet away from the window. I'll have to pot the seedlings with stretch tomorrow.

I should be ok to kinda bury the stretched stem in the soil right? I think I had read to do that as a fix for stretch.

Diablo said:
A lot of seeds are popping ahead of the chili's in the seed starter. And they are all suffering from stretch. I'm not using a grow light, just a room with windows, and it's probably 3-4 feet away from the window. I'll have to pot the seedlings with stretch tomorrow.

I should be ok to kinda bury the stretched stem in the soil right? I think I had read to do that as a fix for stretch.

Yup, leave the leaves an inch or so above ground level. A buried stem will sprout more roots.

HOLY MOLY!!! We got the first area of our first real garden prepped and ready. The most hard work I’ve done in a while, boy oh boy! Talkin bout blistered hands, blisters that got blisters. Good stuff, makes me miss he days of lifting weights.

This is our first row planting approach. All I can say is that we learned a lot. From the first rows to the last, the technique and style changed. Soon as we get the pics up on a hosting site we’ll post them.

We have the seedlings going. Much to our dismay while we had the seedlings out getting some sun our baby found them and went to town, acting like her mom and pop, throwing dirt around. Our seedlings look like they got hit by a little godzilla. We took some damage but we’ll soon see what was left so we can replace what got hit. Some of the chili’s :(

Update From 3/21/2010

Here is the compost I used to mend the soil.

4456739316_d61ca15ff2.jpg

Here is the area nearly completely prepped.

4455961313_42586a4d76.jpg

That looks like it was a lot of work!

Good luck with your grow this year Diablo, looking forward to seeing how things work for you.

By the way it's "amend" the soil, not "mend".

Silver_Surfer said:
Soil looks good. How close are you planning on spacing your rows?

We have good soil here, we're pretty lucky. I'm a little nervous cause even though I tilled in the compost I think there might be too much silts in the soil. After I repotted the chili's from last year I watered and noticed that water stand up on top for longer than I'd like. I might repot those again if I don't see them come alive in the week or two.

You can see on the back right, maybe the rows are 18" apart. After I got a few of those I could tell something was wrong. So as I moved to the left the rows are more like 24" apart or so. About a shovel head wide in the ditch and then the slope up each side to the top, the tops are around a shovel head wide.

So I think I'll put carrots in those first rows on the right, maybe a few lettuce. We'll see.

patrick said:
That looks like it was a lot of work!

Good luck with your grow this year Diablo, looking forward to seeing how things work for you.

By the way it's "amend" the soil, not "mend".

Yeah, I'm still a bit sore today.

thanks patrick.

Oh cool. I guess I see my soil as kinda hurt, so it needs to be mended :)

hehehe, for sure man. I was imagining reaching in. It might be just a touch less than ideal, but I think I'll be able to make it work :)

Update 3/23/10

I have to update this list. The list isn't coming importing very well from a spreadsheet. But the part to take notice of is A12-E12, the Yellow Scorpion CARDI, those got put in the tray today. I have another person on this forum to thank for that. I hope that during all the time they were in my truck they didn't get killed. Time will tell. Rest assured that if I get even a few pods or plants off those seeds I'm sharing the wealth here to pay my dues.

The letters and numbers equal columns and rows in my little seedling heating mat tray.

Cell/Location Quantity Type Plant Category Sun Requirement
F2, E2, D2 3 PER CELL CARBON TOMATO VEGETABLE FULL SUN
F1, E1, D1 3 PER CELL BERKLEY TIE DYE TOMATO VEGETABLE FULL SUN
C1, B1, A1 3 PER CELL CELEBRITY TOMATO VEGETABLE FULL SUN
F9- A9 3 PER CELL GRAND RAPIDS LETTUCE VEGETABLE FULL SUN
F10- A10 3 PER CELL BIBB (LIMESTONE) LETTUCE VEGETABLE FULL SUN
F8- A8 3 PER CELL AUTUMN BEAUTY MIXED COLORS SUN FLOWER FLOWER FULL SUN
F11- A11 3 PER CELL NUTRI RED CARROT VEGETABLE FULL SUN
F6, E6, D6 1 PER CELL THAI L. HOT CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
F3, E3, D3 1 PER CELL ORANGE HABANERO CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
F7- A7 1 PER CELL TEQUILA SUNRISE CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
E5, D5 1 PER CELL FRESNO CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
C3, B3, A3 3 PER CELL PEQUIN CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
C2, B2, A2 1 PER CELL AJI LUCENTO CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
C6, B6, A6 1 PER CELL BARRACKPORE 7 POT CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
C5, B5, A5 1 PER CELL ORANGE MANZANO CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
A4- F4 1 PER CELL DORSET NAGA/ NOVA CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
F5 1 MUSTARD HABANERO/ MEK PHET CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN
A12-E12 1 PER CELL YELLOW SCORPION CARDI CHILI PEPPER FULL SUN

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a Barackapore 7 Pot has sprouted!!!!!! woooooohoooooooo

Back