• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Diablo's Green Thumb

Very cool on the Barrackapore 7!

I wouldn't worry about the TS CARDI seeds, those are some potent babies. Pretty sure most of us got them from the same source, thank you Mr. Chris, and mine are growing like gangbusters. I'm sure yours will too.

Thanks man. I planted 6 of the best "looking" ones, I feel good that I'll get at least one seed.

I've also located a desktop fluorescent light that I've placed over top of my seedlings. I don't think it puts out enough lumen's but I think it's better than a stick in the eye. :)

Semi Update

As posted in other places I'm happy to report 5 yellow scorp hooks

Here is just a pic of the seed tray under my pitiful flouro light. It's all I have and it seems to be helping with the stretch as well. You can see the sun flower, tall guy in the back.

4478428398_b27e7e7848.jpg

Awesome! I knew those CARDI scorps wouldn't let you down.

You might want to remove the seedlings from the hot house though and get them under your light. That stretch thing they're doing is referred to as being "leggy" and it really isn't a good thing. Try to keep the light within two or three inches of the leaves. The ones that haven't germinated yet don't need any light.

Keep up the good work and you'll be swimming in peppers before you know it.

Thanks man. I've kinda got a hot house/light house. I'm germing and taking care of seedlings in the same dome. I'm gonna move the seedlings outta there though. I don't like it. So I'll be planting the seedlings and finding another way to keep the seedlings growing.

@peppermanbaha thanks, actually, if you look to the right, you'll see that the tray lid is lifted up and I'm sneaking the camera lens in through the crack on my end. :)

4/5/10 Update

I was home sick and I needed to get my seedlings into cups. The flouro they are under is not enough.

Sad to report that even with a brief time exposed to full sun, they got burned. I think they should be ok, time will tell.

I ended up moving the canopy from last year over the seedlings. I think they'll be fine outside now for the next couple weeks while they grow. You can bet next year I'll be hitting the ground running a lot better than this year. I just like knowing that even with a late start like I have now, I'll be having fresh chili's anyhow.

4494304719_30103fefe0.jpg

4494304483_3e30732fc5.jpg

A few macros of the Hurt Seedlings

An Orange Habanero that I kept seeds from from the store
4494304543_25d06e0b1e.jpg

The lone tequila sunrise that made it
4494304615_df3a2954f6.jpg

All the seedlings got hurt by the sun. The barrackapore looked ok, but now is showing like it's not going to make it. :( All the Yellow Scorpion CARDI look strong and even one seedling that looked like it wasn't going to hook is now hooking. All the Dorset Nagas look hurt as well but look like they might pull through.

I know man, I recall doing the same thing last year. We'll see how they do. I'm not going to look at them for two days. This way it'll be easier to grieve or rejoice. :) I have a feeling they'll be ok. They didn't get a big dose of full sun, and we had a lot of overcast today so that's what let me be a little more at ease. I just have this thing, don't like pampering or babying something from mother nature like this. Sink or swim, the Darwinian approach. Perhaps I'll get over that with time, (mostly money cause I don't have the proper lighting to let them grow indoors), just seems like things should be able to proliferate without the intervention of man. Thing is that it seems that starting them inside actually makes them weak in some respects, I don't dig that. That's why I get anxious to just throw them out into the world:)

Sorry to hear about the scorching, but I'm with p on the too young for full sun. If you must put them outside at such a young age, place them in the shade for a few days in a spot sheltered from the wind. Then let them see a little wind a few days before letting them have a taste of a few hours of morning sun.

Yeah, I had to bring the shade over for them, and was planning to. I just didn't think the short exposure was gonna get them. I'll give them shelter for about a week and see where they're at. I still haven't gone to see how they are. Kinda scared. I may go later in the afternoon.

The report is that we have taken a few casualties sir. The lone Barrakapore is fading away to nothing, one yellow scorpion has decided to lean over hopefully playing possum. Other than that they seem to have stabilized, I'm sure they are in shock from leaving the warmth of the nest inside. They all have a bit of shrivel but seem to be hanging in there. I think by the weekend they'll be looking good again. I'm gonna start my last barrackapore seeds and some more pequins. This will mark the third time over two seasons I couldn't get pequins to germ. This time I'm placing them in warm water over night. See what that might do to help them out. They are going straight outside though. No messing with floro lights and hardening off. Mother nature or die.

Diablo you don't have to do the "mother nature or die" thing. You'll notice nobody around here does it that way and there are a lot of successful pepper growers here. Nothing wrong with preparing a baby to deal with the world a little at a time. You don't need a bunch of expensive lights either. I spent $9.96 at Walmart for a 24" florescent grow light and it's worked great. You can even buy a florescent bulb for under $6 that will work for a few peppers.

If you want peppers you're going to have to do a bit more than germinate a seed and toss it to the outside world.

Yeah, I know, I can feel that. Hehehe, I guess that came off kinda mean. I used to have another indoor growing hobby back in the day. I just have too many daily variables to juggle and the resources are sparce as well. So I'm kinda doing a caveman approach hehehe.

I did get a grow last year just out in the open. I got a late start last year and this year it seems, and it's mostly due to not starting with floro's. With any luck maybe next year will have me starting in January with floro's. Fingers crossed.

Be happy to share the heat with you at the end of the season if I have some to share. Give you some motivation for next season. You being in Cali you can still grow a few habs or jalapeno's can't ya?

That's hella cool of you man, thanks dude. I'm sure I'll need the seeds hehehe. Yeah, plants didn't really stop budding till around oct, some of my overwintered plants held on to their fruit even. I even had a Fresno Chili that I was savoring but somehow disappeared. It was still on the plant from over all the winter till a few weeks ago. Oh, I think it was my pops when he pruned the plants back. Sheesh. I had a small experiment going. I think the barrakapore is the one that I really want to try again along with the pequins. I have those in water still and I'll be moving those into seed starters tonight probably.

Back