• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic DIY guide: how to make off grid hydroponic self watering container

Red bell pepper, mini bell pepper, and a black beauty eggplant.
I am also growing a ghost in one of these containers, but it was started at a different time than these 3.
I will be starting a few more plants this year, they will be late, but Ive started plants in July before and still got plenty of pods... so... no problem  :)

I bought the 3 part system of Flora Gro, started feeding my potted plants some and hopefully the will respond well with it.  I plan on building an earth box clone like the ones you have this week, I'll see if I can get some pics up.  I was able to get some Pro-Mix BX for $39 at the local hydroponic shop, haven't used it before but I've heard a lot of good things, so we'll see.

Per Quart concentrated Flora Gro/Bloom is $12.50, Flora Micro is $16.00, all cheaper than Amazon had them for.  Amazon had 3.8 cu ft of BX for $75, that is to ship it to Saturn probably, seems like a reasonable price for that trip.

That seems like a good price for the flora products, where did you order them from?

Check my math, but that comes to roughly $0.144 per gallon (varies due to the different ratios used during the growth cycle)

If you aren't deadset against using the masterblend solution that I recommend, its super cheap at ~ $0.016 per gallon :)

It may not seem like a big deal, but once you start feeding these monsters a few gallons a day it can add up!

I picked those Flora products up at the same store I got the BX at, it's really the only place around Charlotte I know of that sells that stuff so I'm kinda stuck.  Agreed, obviously $.01 is much better than $.14, and if it works, then that's definitely the route I'll take in the future.  I was just trying to get my plants some nutes asap, some of them seem stuck.

Do you use that same solution of Masterblend to feed your regular plants, or potted/garden plants if you have any of those?

svfd1118 said:
Do you use that same solution of Masterblend to feed your regular plants, or potted/garden plants if you have any of those?
I use it for... everything.
You also have the option to swap up the balance between the N-P-K (like with the flora) by changing the masterblend/calcuim nitrate/magnesium sulfate ratio but I never do, I just keep the same solution all the time, for every plant.
I have had mad success from leafy greens (kale, lettuce, etc), cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, etc.

I can get the Calcium and Epsom, just need the Masterblend.  Am I better off getting it directly from them so you don't have to worry about the hassle?

Masterblend doesnt sell directly to consumers, you have to go through a distributor.  The only company that I know which sells it is www.morgancountyseeds.com.
You can get 25lbs for $40 + $12.xx shipping.
They also have a good price on Calcium nitrate if you want to order both.

They also sell smaller quantities (at a higher cost per lb of course).

If anyone wants smaller quantities I am willing to sell it at the bulk price plus shipping cost, just let me know how much you want.  As long as I cover the base cost+shipping it is no bother to me at all.

I recommend everyone to check their local prices for Calcium Nitrate because they may be cheaper to buy directly without shipping.  (remember to check for greenhouse grade, agricultural grade is cheaper but messy)

Looks like Hydro-gardens has it for $51.50 for the 25 lb tomato formula, as opposed to 25lb Masterblend for $40 + $12 in shipping, guess it depends on whether or not hydro-gardens ships for free which I doubt.

j92 said:
Could you use a clear container for this?
Ive never tried it, but I would worry about:  algae growing in the solution at the bottom, UV rays breaking down the clear plastic quickly, and the roots getting too much light

Back