• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic DIY guide: how to make off grid hydroponic self watering container

How about putting perlite on the bottom 2-3 inches/7 cm of the container? Would that soak better with water? you can drill small holes to prevent them dropping down.

kingduckling said:
How about putting perlite on the bottom 2-3 inches/7 cm of the container? Would that soak better with water? you can drill small holes to prevent them dropping down.

No, peat moss is much more absorptive than perlite.

I can't answer from experience but if the solo cups reach the bottom of the container with the edges of the cup cut off, and or holes in the bottom of the cups, that would allow for maximum wicking of the solution into the dirt.  I would also imagine that once the roots reach down through the holes in the divider, they would be sucking the nutrients off the bottom as well.  Hopefully our topic master can shed some light on this subject :)

They should reach the bottom or just above the bottom. Until the roots tap into the resevoir anything below the bottom of the cup will be unusable.

image_zpsdzcfsdul.jpg

It's on!

What do you guys think of two plants? I have nowhere near the sunlight or warm temps that the South has. Meaning I doubt one plant will fill the soil medium and reservoir. Although for container gardening I always rock one plant because of the competition. Total hydro noob. Thoughts?

I have it all set up now. I'm not a DIY guy at all but this only took me an hour...I didn't start with a huge hydro root system like in the video (everything was started in soil) but the plant is healthy and should be fine. The roots are very far from the reservoir right now but that'll change I suspect?

image_zpsb5vxd9if.jpg

I had spare ProMix HP. I only spent eight bucks to get this system going. The nutes I'm starting with were free samples from the local grow shop. 
image_zpsy6zt54xv.jpg

Jonah 7Pot Welcome to the grow!
image_zps8pdcgkek.jpg

No rain in the forecast so hopefully no cover will help pull the solution up

Looks good, I would go ahead and put the cover on, it will get plenty of water.
Usually after transplanting I keep the plant pretty shaded for a day or two for it to adjust without too much stress.

ColdSmoke said:
I have it all set up now. I'm not a DIY guy at all but this only took me an hour...I didn't start with a huge hydro root system like in the video (everything was started in soil) but the plant is healthy and should be fine. The roots are very far from the reservoir right now but that'll change I suspect?

image_zpsb5vxd9if.jpg

I had spare ProMix HP. I only spent eight bucks to get this system going. The nutes I'm starting with were free samples from the local grow shop. 
image_zpsy6zt54xv.jpg

Jonah 7Pot Welcome to the grow!
image_zps8pdcgkek.jpg

No rain in the forecast so hopefully no cover will help pull the solution up
Looks good. I built those last year. They performed better then any other container I used. I experimented with a few different containers. I didn't use the plastic covers as well. When it rained for a week at a time, the rain water would just drain through the bucket and out the drain holes. My theory is more air to the roots. Plus I make compost tea and like to had it to the top. I use basic of the shelf nutes to add to the reservoir. The reservoir stayed clean all Summer long. Im using the same buckets this year as well as the same soil. Here's some pics from my Glog last year. View attachment 23471 View attachment 23472 View attachment 23473 View attachment 23474

I wish I had more pics toward the end of the season. Some of them were huge. This year they should be better. Trial and error.

Good luck to you all.

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good. I built those last year. They performed better then any other container I used. I experimented with a few different containers. I didn't use the plastic covers as well. When it rained for a week at a time, the rain water would just drain through the bucket and out the drain holes. My theory is more air to the roots. Plus I make compost tea and like to had it to the top. I use basic of the shelf nutes to add to the reservoir. The reservoir stayed clean all Summer long. Im using the same buckets this year as well as the same soil. Here's some pics from my Glog last year. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I wish I had more pics toward the end of the season. Some of them were huge. This year they should be better. Trial and error.

Good luck to you all.

Chuck
Holy hell those plants are insane!! I wish I had more light!!
OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good. I built those last year. They performed better then any other container I used. I experimented with a few different containers. I didn't use the plastic covers as well. When it rained for a week at a time, the rain water would just drain through the bucket and out the drain holes. My theory is more air to the roots. Plus I make compost tea and like to had it to the top. I use basic of the shelf nutes to add to the reservoir. The reservoir stayed clean all Summer long. Im using the same buckets this year as well as the same soil. Here's some pics from my Glog last year. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Good luck to you all.

Chuck
Holy hell those plants are insane!! I wish I had more light!!

Back