• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY Hydro Growbox Ghost Pepper Update (July 12)

RIP to this plant... the trunk broke off below soil level in a storm, waled out one morning and the whole bush was upside-down next to the container.
:censored:

that sucks, sorry to hear that. I had 5 bins of 2 varieties of tomatoes each and had them on the dock during the winter because the sunlight reached it there better. Woke up and went outside only to see one of them blown over floating in the bay :( i just found one of the tomato cages while diving the sea wall actually haha. it's weird how it would have done that, it's so heavy.

maybe stake your plants? I have a 8ft brazilian starfish and it fell over recently and broke some branches =/ put a heavy concrete block in the pot every day and tied that shit up

pepper_rancher said:
RIP to this plant... the trunk broke off below soil level in a storm, waled out one morning and the whole bush was upside-down next to the container.
:censored:

damn that sucks dude!

My condolences :tear:  :cry:

Maybe as BigB said a cage or some stakes would help since your plants weigh a thousand pounds from all of those pods they produce

Making one or two of these this week. That's amazing. If I have plants that I've been growing in soil (pots), do you think it would be ok to plop them out of the pot and plant directly or should I clean the roots and plant them as bare roots into the new media?

How often do you give it nutes? Do you have a video on how you make the seeding container? What size container is that?

nubster said:
Making one or two of these this week. That's amazing. If I have plants that I've been growing in soil (pots), do you think it would be ok to plop them out of the pot and plant directly or should I clean the roots and plant them as bare roots into the new media?

I'm building a few this week too and was curious as well. I've got a few establised plants in 4 gallon buckets right now and would like to give this a try. I had thought that I would clean the root mass up a bit so they could reestablish themselves in the new setup. 

MRpeabody said:

I'm building a few this week too and was curious as well. I've got a few establised plants in 4 gallon buckets right now and would like to give this a try. I had thought that I would clean the root mass up a bit so they could reestablish themselves in the new setup. 

You can keep the root mass, but make sure you are using a soil-less (true potting) medium to allow for proper aeration and wicking.  This should be a peat based mix, perhaps coco coir, but I have never tried coir.
DawgNutts said:
How often do you give it nutes? Do you have a video on how you make the seeding container? What size container is that?

Every time I fill with water.  Once the plant is big this means every day.
I dont have a video for the seeding container yet, ill try to make one in the future.

just finished 6 5gal bucket setups; planning to keep then indoors under 2 400w HPS lights this winter.
I wish the hydro net pots would have been bigger, they are 3.75" at the top; ordered from ebay.

Also just got masterblend and cal. nitrate, mag. sulfate in the mail. Gave my MG soil indoor Jalapeno a drink of it.

IMG_20150720_203028_846.jpg

IMG_20150720_203045_801.jpg

IMG_20150720_203120_384.jpg

IMG_20150720_203131_886.jpg

I made a 5 gallon version. I don't have the nutrients yet and was too impatient to wait before planting. The potting soil I used has some fertilizer in it but I was wondering if there would be any harm in using something like Miracle grow until I was able to get some other nutrients? 

Or...I have a bunch of stuff left over from when I used to have planted fish tanks. I'll have to take stock of what I have and see if I can use that to whip something up. 

If there is fertilizer in your potting soil already I wouldn't worry about supplementing it yet...  when did you plan on getting the nutrients?

Depends on whether I can use what I have on hand which is:

Plantex CSM +B which is a mixture of micro nutrients including manesium, chelated copper, chelated iron, manganese, molybdenum, zinc, and boron.

Potassium Sulfate 

Mono Potassium Phosphate

DTPA Iron

Potassium Nitrate

Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salt)

I used this stuff in my planted fish tanks with great success. I guess I'd just need to figure out the amounts needed of each and dose and see what happens.

****EDIT****

Here's what I found...does it look ok?

• For a full 5-gallon (20-liter) container of water, measure out 5 teaspoons (25 ml) of CaNO3, 1/3 teaspoon (1.7 ml) of K2SO4, 1 2/3 teaspoons (8.3 ml) KNO3, 1 1/4 teaspoon (6.25 ml) of KH2PO4, 3 1/2 teaspoons (17.5 ml) MgSO4, and 2/5 teaspoon (2 ml) trace element compound
I found that on a hydroponic site and I have all those components. Only thing I will need to get is some calcium. I guess I'll just need to do the math and mix a smaller batch and give it a try.

Ok, this is just an interesting side note in regards to the hydro growbox...  This year was my first time growing eggplants, and by "Black Beauty" eggplant produced 37 eggplants for a total weight of 28 lbs, 6 oz in a 60 day period in the hydro growbox.  It still had a few flowers left but im killing the plant because im going to puke if I even see another eggplant.

Well... I uncovered 3 more eggplants dismembering the plant... so final total of:
40 eggplants for total weight of 30 lbs, 12 oz.

pecker88 said:
just finished 6 5gal bucket setups; planning to keep then indoors under 2 400w HPS lights this winter.
I wish the hydro net pots would have been bigger, they are 3.75" at the top; ordered from ebay.

Also just got masterblend and cal. nitrate, mag. sulfate in the mail. Gave my MG soil indoor Jalapeno a drink of it.

IMG_20150720_203028_846.jpg

IMG_20150720_203045_801.jpg

IMG_20150720_203120_384.jpg

IMG_20150720_203131_886.jpg
Here in California we like to grow all kinds of things indoors and outdoors.  With so many gardeners, many grow shops have opened up.  There is a Hydro shop 2 miles from my house that has 5" net cups for 33 cents each.  If anyone has trouble sourcing them I don't minding helping out.  The last bucket I made I used solo cups with holes drilled in them and I have no complaints so far.

Where's the best place to order Masterblend if I can't find it locally, which I doubt I'll be able to? I've found one place online but shipping is as much as the fertilizer for a 5# bag. 

nubster said:
Where's the best place to order Masterblend if I can't find it locally, which I doubt I'll be able to? I've found one place online but shipping is as much as the fertilizer for a 5# bag. 
I got mine on ebay, 1# MB, 0.5# cal nitrate, 0.5# mag sulfate for $18 shipped.
It looks like the seller is buying in bulk, repackaging/reselling.

You can also get it at Morgan County Seeds, out of Missouri.
https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=487

What size tote did you use? I tried this with a 30 gallon tote and the lid would not fit cause the sides get pushed out by the dirt.

DawgNutts said:
What size tote did you use? I tried this with a 30 gallon tote and the lid would not fit cause the sides get pushed out by the dirt.

What kind of "dirt" did you use? If you use a light soil less medium you wont have the problem. I'd go with ProMix HP...it's well worth the investment. 

ColdSmoke said:

What kind of "dirt" did you use? If you use a light soil less medium you wont have the problem. I'd go with ProMix HP...it's well worth the investment. 
Yeah, it sounds like you might have put actual dirt in the container...  Like coldsmoke said, go with a soilless medium which is usually peat moss based, with perlite, vermiculte, and bark fines (for the most part).
ProMix is an excellent product, I only have ProMix BX where I am, it is great.  Also you can make your own (with the above ingredients) for much cheaper but with some labor.

ColdSmoke said:

I used Coconut coir and vemiculite, but come to think about it I added in some older soil that had some compost in it. Also I think my tote might just be cheap and thin walled. Think I'm going to pick up some 55 gallon plastic drums this weekend, cut them in half and try those with just a 50/50 - coconut coir/perlite mix. I'll also see where I can pick up some Promix and give that a shot too.

Back