• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense DNA tests that proved reaper= primo?

Who cares. There has been to much arguing about what is what. And for what? So you can put your name in the record books or sell more seeds? Or be proven right? I mean a pepper is a pepper. If it's hot and delicious I will grow it. I don't care about the DNA or who did what. If it looks good and tastes good then that's all I need to know. I mean this is not ancestry.com

It is ancestry though for people who's business relies on.. "Public opinion" and "Reputation".

If one or the other could prove there side of things it could mean a giant shift in public opinion and result in a lot of $$ both lost and gained

Good grief... I had only found out about the "situation" today whilst looking at F.B.I. Ted's videos. I guess I really have been living under a rock...!

:mope:

This really has bummed me out. :tear:

Really, really.

ajdrew said:
Lets turn the anger festival into something FUN.  Does anyone have a url for Mr. Primeaux's seeds directly from the man himself?  Worst outcome is we wind up with some great pods.

What do you think?  Good idea or dumb idea? 

Great idea!

Calamari Kid said:
Good grief... I had only found out about the "situation" today whilst looking at F.B.I. Ted's videos. I guess I really have been living under a rock...!

:mope:

This really has bummed me out. :tear:

Really, really.

Great idea!

you can sit through one of FBI's videos , that's a feat in itself. 

Jase, I think at first it is kind of funny.  My thing is I have been growing produce for almost a decade with a mild focus on peppers outside of my own cult like hobby.  It wasnt until a bit over a year ago that I had a clue there were forums, facebook pages, and video reviews.  So I was completely new to the video puking not that long ago.  It was like watching Galigar for the first time.

Funny thing is that today, places like Buzz Feed and other mainstream sources are doing it.  So now I have friends sending me every new video that turns up in their feed.

D3monic said:

you can sit through one of FBI's videos , that's a feat in itself. 
 Not exactly. I mute the volume, fast forward through the overloud intro, fast forward through the vomiting, AND tend not to watch the endings. I am only there for the chillies, more so for the weird crosses, one-off, and dangerously hot chillies.

ajdrew said:
Laughed the first time I saw a FBI video.  Now, they all seem the same.  I can't sit threw any of the challenges either.  They all end the same way.
I don't bother with the weird food videos because anyone would have something to say about everything. At the end of the day I hate wasting food, and harming critters.

P.S. That fermented chilli bean curd is an INGREDIENT! A little goes a long way, like, stock cubes. I have actually avoided that video as well as the one involving the thousand-year eggs. I know what those foods are, I don't need his assurance or want his opinion.

Jase4224 said:
Yeah watching him spitting and gagging makes me sick. Reviews by Nigel and THSC are great.

I tolerate the spitting because I want minimal interruption of what he has to say about some of the funky and extremly hot chilli pods. The fact that some of those chillies cause vomiting is useful information but I agree that there is no need to show it all.

The guy is not stupid. He has pitched his videos at the lowest common denominator for hitting the broadest audience. Not something that I would do, but that is likely part of the reasons why his videos are viewed thousands of times, and we are talking about him, etc. As a business strategy package it probably delivers, and hence there are other people who do the same, or worse, imitate.

what i do believe is that the primo is involved in whatever testing Ed was doing because the true primos don't have as much variety as the reaper seeds. I've had many different crazy, deformed, and gnarly reaper pods but i found the primos to have a much more uniform look. Ed is a good guy and made a good business choice.

Yeah that pepper wars group was a bunch of whiney grown men who can't prove much.  I'm not taking anyones side on this seeing iv'e met Troy and Ed in person and i like them both.  I'm growing both this year side by side so i can do a taste growth comparison for fun.  I think Ed has a patent on it so it could be pointless to try and uncover its DNA.  I'm growing both red versions, and yellow.  But i don't believe you can cross a naga and hab and get a pepper over 2 million units of heat.  All i can do is a taste/growth test for fun.  

jedisushi06 said:
Yeah that pepper wars group was a bunch of whiney grown men who can't prove much.  I'm not taking anyones side on this seeing iv'e met Troy and Ed in person and i like them both.  I'm growing both this year side by side so i can do a taste growth comparison for fun.  I think Ed has a patent on it so it could be pointless to try and uncover its DNA.  I'm growing both red versions, and yellow.  But i don't believe you can cross a naga and hab and get a pepper over 2 million units of heat.  All i can do is a taste/growth test for fun.  

I have grown both the past 2 years and found only slight differences between the two. This year I dropped the reaper because I like the primo a little better. Heat wise my primos seemed a little hotter or maybe just more painful. Taste wise the primo seemed to be a little more flavorful, but the reaper seemed just a little sweeter. The differences though were very subtle. Pod wise the primo had more pods that were larger and less pods that were smaller compared to the reaper, though many were of similar size and shape and could not be distinguished by looks alone. The reaper did seem to have a slightly thinner wall. Those were my experiences growing them side by side... it will be interesting to see other comments from those who have done the same.

Jedi, someone invited me to Pepper Wars.  I read that the admin never deletes people.  Took me three days, had to resort to attacking his penis, but I believe I became the first member to get booted.  I am so very proud.

ajdrew said:
Jedi, someone invited me to Pepper Wars.  I read that the admin never deletes people.  Took me three days, had to resort to attacking his penis, but I believe I became the first member to get booted.  I am so very proud.
'
yeah i got booted too for talking shit.  The cry babies couldn't handle some shit talking but are quick to dish it out.  That group is a joke anyway.  I'm sure it was Daniel who booted us.  He's in love with Jim and Ted lmao

Jedisushi, damn it I was hoping I was unique in the booting department.  It was a very weird experience, people were all like: Who are you?  How come I've never heard of you?  I was like, uh cause I am just a guy living in the middle of no where Kentucky.  I felt like I was poorly dressed at a $25,000.00 a plate political fund raiser.

Laundry day.  Nothing to wear.

To be honest, it was kind of like the pod reviews with someone puking.  First time you see them, they are kind of fun.  But then it turns into same old same and you get bored.

I did pick up a lot of pepper friends out of it.  Did a bunch of seed trading.

jedisushi06 said:
'
yeah i got booted too for talking shit.  The cry babies couldn't handle some shit talking but are quick to dish it out.  That group is a joke anyway.  I'm sure it was Daniel who booted us.  He's in love with Jim and Ted lmao

bunch of Jim lovers there F*CK that group

hello.

can it be that Primo was the original creator of the strain, and then sold the rights/patent to the reaper folks, which renamed / markets it as a new strain?, Carolina reaper

Its major cash involved in this business higher up the ladder

Signed contract, paid in full,, lid on

BTW.. Hi, i am new in here

Back