• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Do you like grilled ribs?

I have a Pit Master. Like AJ, I use my rub then smoke them at about 200F for 3hrs then bring the heat up to about 300f and grill the ribs for about 10-15 min a side I like to gnaw on the bone too.But if the ribs are done with love they are all good.
Dan

LET IT BURN

thehotpepper.com said:
I'm not talking about smoked ribs (barbecue), I'm talking about grilled, over a flame. Yeah, I love barbecued ribs but sometimes I like the grilled ribs even better. They get that nice glaze and char, and the meat doesnt fall off the bone. Fallin' off the bone means they are overcooked, even for BBQ. That bone should not be dry. Anyways....:hell: sometimes it's nice to gnaw the meat off the bone.

the last line is what I was posting about.

I have eaten many ribs cooked by amatures and the result was tough meat that was in no way good at all.

I have cooked ribes on low using a bbq with charcoal or gas and the results were good but most people will not stand at a grill and cook anything for 3 hours.

I prefer boiled then grilled as I can get the meat where want it and I have had them to the point of falling apart and agree that is too much.

smoking is good but again the time turns off many people..

I hear ya. I guess my point is I love smoked ribs, but I have had many a grilled rib that tastes great, sometimes even better. Depends on my mood I guess. As long as they are not too far in either direction (too dry from smoking too long or cooked too fast on the grill).

klyth said:
Where I'm from, BBQ just means you use BBQ sauce. Don't matter if it's grilled, smoked, baked, braised, broiled... Grilled on gas, coal, wood, infrared, etc... Don't matter.

Then again, I'm a stupid yank. I wouldn't know a decent BBQ if it landed on my face and wiggled.

I'm a yank too and I know BBQ means cooked over charcoal. However, there are alot of people around here that seems to think gas grills the same:lol: I personally love anything cooked over charcoal. When I cook mine I cook country style and I actually cook it REALLY close to the charcoal at first to sere in the juices. Then I cook it a little slower and towards the end I start basting it with barbeque sauce so it carmalized on the ribs. Of course I would add some hab powder in it as well, but no one else eats it that way with me. I just add it on afterwards.....MMMMMMMMM. You made me hungry:lol: I want to do some smoked type things too, but I don't have a smoker yet. In that situation I'd make a special rub for that.

thehotpepper.com said:
I hear ya. I guess my point is I love smoked ribs, but I have had many a grilled rib that tastes great, sometimes even better. Depends on my mood I guess. As long as they are not too far in either direction (too dry from smoking too long or cooked too fast on the grill).

Juicy is also a must. I agree with you on that one.

IMO -

Grilling - high direct heat for a short time... steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs, shrimp

BBQ - low indirect heat for a long time... brisket, pulled pork, ribs

Smoked - A variation of BBQ?... low and slow. Never used a true smoker, but have used wood chips while BBQn.

how u cook it depends on the cut of the meat.

grill - tender

BBQ - tough

I think BBQ was developed by the slaves (African Americans) because they were given the worst cuts of meat. adversity leads to innovation.

Now that everyone's talking about this. Has anyone ever had big juicy steaks cooked on one of those tripod grills cooking over an oak camp fire? That's as simple as it gets and I love the flavor.I honestly thought those were the best tasting steaks I've ever had in my life. I have a couple steaks like that at deer camp every year.......MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!:drooling:

Time Factor

For me;
If I'm pressed for time, the Weber gas grill
If I have a decent amount of time, the charcoal kettle
If time doesn't matter - The Bradley Smoker!!!

I know this is an old thread, but just reading it has me thinking of trying to get one more day of bbqing in. To me bbq is not a method, it's an event. I use my Brinkman smoker and make wings, ribs, and chicken thighs all at the same time. That way I have food ready at different times so we can cook and eat all day. I do like to finish the ribs and wings on the grill sometimes though just to make them a little extra crispier after I add the sauce. I can also achieve this on the smoker if I remove the water.

If your ribs are taking 2 1/2 hours, that's barbeque. Grilling is over high direct heat, like what's done to hamburgers and steaks. Barbeque is low and slow--indirect or not. Smokers are indeed a PIA. So I'll just keep practicing! Took me 15 1/2 hours to get a pork shoulder roast done last weekend. Ribs can be done in 3-6, give or take.
I interpreted the barbeque vs grilling definitions above from 8 or so BBQ forums I've been on since trying to learn how to smoke. To me, it just clarifies the terms.

I had grilled ribs tonite,only took about 20 minutes...of course I smoked them sunday for 5 hours.I smokem KC style(dry rub) but I also love them with sauce,crisped up on the grill for a quick weeknite meal,the best of both worlds!MMMMM,porkfat and chiles!

I peel the white skin from the back of the racks and then simmer my ribs by covering them in chicken stock and red wine in a covered pan on the bbq for about 1.5-2hrs. by then the meat has shrunk back from the end of the bones and rendered all the fat. next they are basted or dipped in whatever sauce I feel like, usually either a hab or fatalii laced smoky bbq sauce or a sweet sauce and then thrown on a hot hot grill until the sauce glazes.

I've also done them just with a rub and slow grilled until almost ready and then basted and cooked until glazed.

I like both methods but prefer the simmer method as the meat is oh so tender. I don't have a smoker so the sauce gives me the smoke flavour as well as the little charred bits of glazed sauce. naturally I wear rubber gloves when eating ribs and only cook pork, not beef or sheep ribs.

I saw an interesting method on Emeril Live that I have used when i want to make ribs but don't have hours and hours to smoke them. You put your rub on them and grill them at about 300F for an hour and them take them off put the sauce on them and wrap them in plastic wrap and them foil. Put them back on the grill and turn up the heat to 375F In another 45min or so you will have perfectly done, moist ribs. If you like the outer skin to be crispier then take them out of the foil and put them back on the grill for a few minutes. Sounds kind of weird, but it works.

JayT said:
I saw an interesting method on Emeril Live that I have used when i want to make ribs but don't have hours and hours to smoke them. You put your rub on them and grill them at about 300F for an hour and them take them off put the sauce on them and wrap them in plastic wrap and them foil. Put them back on the grill and turn up the heat to 375F In another 45min or so you will have perfectly done, moist ribs. If you like the outer skin to be crispier then take them out of the foil and put them back on the grill for a few minutes. Sounds kind of weird, but it works.

Sounds like a weird way my brother makes them,He boils the rips for a few minutes,Then puts them in a marinade(Thai Sweet Chili+Some Fatalii powder added)all day long and then puts some crushed chesnut(dried) on the coals then adds the ribs there the most great tasting rips ive had :)

Actually,I do the old 3-2-1 method,3 hrs on the smoker,wrap w/ foil and some sort of moisture,(beer,bourbon,rhum,broth,marinade)2 hrs,remove from foil and put back on the heat for 1 hr.Try it you'll like it.Can of course be done on a griil(charcoal or gas if offset)

Back