• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Does anyone still use Tabasco sauce?

I know I have a bottle here in the fridge..Cant remember the last time I used it or if its still good lol.Think its more force of habit I have it with its fancy holder

I'll only consider using it when out and there are no other options, like I forgot my own bottle of GOOD sauce. In fact, I've never really liked their sauce and I think that if it wasn't for moving to Texas and tasting some 'real' pepper made foods, I may never have became the chilihead that I am today.

For me there's something in Tabasco that I don't like and it's nothing to do with the vinegar, I can smell this taste I don't like in the Original one and the Habanero one and Encona Hot Pepper sauce is the same, they have the same kind of smell. I think it's something to do with a spice they use in it :confused:

TB - :lol:

rainbowberry said:
For me there's something in Tabasco that I don't like and it's nothing to do with the vinegar, I can smell this taste I don't like in the Original one and the Habanero one and Encona Hot Pepper sauce is the same, they have the same kind of smell. I think it's something to do with a spice they use in it :confused:

do you mean "salt" ? since its distilled vinegar, red chiles,salt for original sauce.

I wish their habanero sauce was hotter, otherwise the fruit flavor of it is good!

as for their (tabasco)chipotle sauce, 1st ingredient is chipotle chiles, not to bad when considering that far as I know the only other chipotle hot sauce that is the same is "el yucateco"
& the other chipotle sauce is "bufalo" & these 2 brands get good reviews here. the bufalo brand for ingredients chipotle chiles is #3 right after water & vinegar.

IMO tabasco chipotle, bufalo chipotle, el yucateco chipotle are all tied for taste, well ok el yucateco taste a tad better than the other 2.

then it must be the cheap vinegar they use that you dont like, or the flavor of the tabasco chiles.
because their aint much else to choose from when its only 3 ingredients.

I love Tabasco sauce.

I make a great fried crumpet using it. Get 2 eggs, a dash of all spice, a pinch of ground nutmeg, 2 tablespoons of Tabasco sauce and a small amount of milk. mix it all together and let the crumpet soak. Then cook on the hot plate, and serve with cooked bacon on the top. It's great for breakfast. WOW....

I use Tabasco on a Daily basic. I always have a bottle at work disguised as some home made sauce so it doesn't get used (They know i like it hot so they are all afraid to touch my sauce)....

I made some home made Tabasco sauce last year and it wasn't to bad. More Tabasco's and less vinegar...

rainbowberry said:
I love salt so I'm sure it's not that.

heh heh heh...it's gutter time again!

Actually, i rather enjoy the taste of tabasco and cayenne peppers and i like the basic sauces that are made from them.

You can't beat 1/2 tabasco and 1/2 lemon juice as a dip for fried oysters, fried catfish, etc.

I love the flavor, and the vinegar flavor goes well on lots of things, but not everything.

Even now that I am up to eating 7pots in salsa, tabasco can still liven up a fish sandwich or some fried oysters for me anyday.

I am trying to make a naga/7pot sauce that is just like tabasco, only with hotter peppers.

cheezydemon said:
I love the flavor, and the vinegar flavor goes well on lots of things, but not everything.

No self respecting southerner would eat turnip greens without vinegar....thats almost blasphemy.

I ate it hear and there while at OCS..once we were allowed to use condiments. It almost seemed fairly spicy after having not had anything spicy for so long. :shocked: I don't mind the stuff on my french fries.

:shocked:

Just used a whole bottle on my 10 piece nuggets.

Doesn't pack near the punch it did for me 1 year ago.:(

That is the price of moving into more high octane peppers.

I should have gotten a clue when I wasted 1.99 on this bottle of XXX HABANERO CARRIBEAN DEATH SAUCE at the local liquor palace.

It wasn't very hot either.:(

used it again today on an omlet; cheddar, tomato, & tobasco :)
i tend to use it with fries too; let em soak up a bit.. mmmmm
just had a thought, what about making a vinegrette with it? tobasco vinegrette on your bitter green salad anyone? might be good..

I started with Tabasco sauce and still use it sometimes. But since there are more and better options the bottle in my fridge doesn't get younger.

When I started getting into hot stuff, Tabasco was the only thing available over here, except for some "exotic" sauces at Asian stores that weren't hotter really. I agree with Armadillo - there are so many other products nowadays that my Tabasco bottles seem to last a long time. I haven't bought any in a while, but my mother has sent me one while I was in rehab so I could spice up my meals - as you'd expect from meals that get served in rehab, they weren't the slightest bit spicy, there didn't even seem to be salt in them.

Back