• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Does anyone still use Tabasco sauce?

I tried another one of Levi Roots sauces yesterday Talas, Fiery Guava Sauce or something. Like the others, not hot but has an outstanding flavour.

rainbowberry said:
I tried another one of Levi Roots sauces yesterday Talas, Fiery Guava Sauce or something. Like the others, not hot but has an outstanding flavour.

Been using to R.B cannot agree more,Even the good lady enjoys that one :lol:

I also got my start with Tabasco Sauce. Tabasco with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce make a perfect Bloody Mary. Of course, it's just a stepping stone and now it is clearly more vinegar and salt than anything else. It's kind of like those shakers filled with anonymous pepper flakes you find in pizza restaurants. These are all gateway peppers (as already stated) to help initiate the uninitiated. Not to "dis" Tabasco Sauce -- we've all just outgrown it. By the same token, how often do any of you buy jars of pickled banana peppers? Wasn't that living life on the edge...once?

I was in a local grocery store today and they had all the tabasco sauces. I thought for a minute about buying the habanero one since I have never tried it. That was until I say a pricetag of $4.99!!! For tabasco? Are they kidding me? I can buy many many different good sauces for five dollars.

PrairieChilihead said:
I also got my start with Tabasco Sauce. Tabasco with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce make a perfect Bloody Mary. Of course, it's just a stepping stone and now it is clearly more vinegar and salt than anything else. It's kind of like those shakers filled with anonymous pepper flakes you find in pizza restaurants. These are all gateway peppers (as already stated) to help initiate the uninitiated. Not to "dis" Tabasco Sauce -- we've all just outgrown it. By the same token, how often do any of you buy jars of pickled banana peppers? Wasn't that living life on the edge...once?

If youre talking peperoncinis then yes, i still buy and keep a jar or so of those around to munch on. Them and pickled jalapenos too. Makes for good finger food when you're drunk as hell at 4 am.

Sickmont said:
If youre talking peperoncinis then yes, i still buy and keep a jar or so of those around to munch on. Them and pickled jalapenos too. Makes for good finger food when you're drunk as hell at 4 am.

I'm not. I really like peperoncinis!! They're great on salad. Have you ever been to an "Olive Garden" Restaurant?

I'm talking about those big multi-coloured peppers, often cut into rings and sold in jars of brine. When I was first starting to explore the wonderful world of pepper-hurt, handfuls of those on nachoes was a staple.

JayT said:
I still eat them everytime I eat pizza and don't have any fresh peppers.

Are you talking about the dried pepper flakes, Jay? I do too. At home, of course, there's a better variety to choose from, but out at a pizza place you use what they provide. Any idea what kind of peppers those are? My son asked me that a while back. He's well on his way to being a full-fledged card carrying member of our fraternity.

Actually I was talking about the pepperocini, but I do use pepper flakes on my pizza too. I make my own. I checked on McCormick's website to see what the peppers are that they use in their red pepper flakes and I got nothing. It would assume that they are a mix of whatever is cheap. Probably red bells, jalapenos, cayennes stuff like that. Nothing with any real heat though.

JayT said:
Actually I was talking about the pepperocini, but I do use pepper flakes on my pizza too. I make my own. I checked on McCormick's website to see what the peppers are that they use in their red pepper flakes and I got nothing. It would assume that they are a mix of whatever is cheap. Probably red bells, jalapenos, cayennes stuff like that. Nothing with any real heat though.

Hey! I've never tried pepperoncinis on pizza. They sound Italian so it makes sense, I guess. :) -- Now I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

PrairieChilihead said:
Are you talking about the dried pepper flakes, Jay? I do too. At home, of course, there's a better variety to choose from, but out at a pizza place you use what they provide. Any idea what kind of peppers those are? My son asked me that a while back. He's well on his way to being a full-fledged card carrying member of our fraternity.

The usual pizza peppers are pepperonis or pepperoncinis. In Germany usually green pickled ones.

PrairieChilihead said:
Hey! I've never tried pepperoncinis on pizza. They sound Italian so it makes sense, I guess. :lol: -- Now I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

They are from Italy but are now also grown in Spain, Greece, Turkey. And they are, like japs, better red than green. Want some seeds? :lol:

rainbowberry said:
Ah are those the ones that are really mild and longer and more misshapen than a Jalapeno, also very light green?

Yeah. But the heat seams to depend on where they have grown. The Turkish and Spanish ones seem to be hotter than the Italian ones. And the ripe red ones are hotter than the green ones. And they have a great aroma!

Armadillo said:
The usual pizza peppers are pepperonis or pepperoncinis. In Germany usually green pickled ones.

I find this a very interesting statement. As I've said, I like pepperoncini peppers, but have never connected them in any way with pizza. I am wondering if maybe there is a cultural difference in the type of peppers you would find in Germany in a pizza restaurant as compared to the type of peppers we find here in Canada, and I've found when travelling down through the states as well. The peppers I was referring to are a generic red flake in a shaker. Can be a good kick on the pizza if you use enough. I think Jay probably hit it when he described it as a combination of inexpensive red peppers...Jalapenos and Cayenne and what not.

Here is a question that you folks in other countries could answer: In your pizza restaurants do you find shakers as described above on the tables? Or sauces, or pepperoncini peppers (dried? In bowls?) I'm taking wild stabs. I've just assumed that 'round the world we all found the same things. But, why should that be?

Thanks for humoring me. :P

When I was in school I delivered pizza for dominos, pizza hut & papa johns. Papa johns gives pickled pepperoncinis with the pizza in the box. They are f'ing fantastic. I used to put like 10 extra and eat them when I got to my car. I stole a 5 gallon jug of them once. It was awesome.

But here they always serve pizza with "parmesan cheese" and "crushed red pepper flakes" although its damn sure not real parmesan and i have no idea what kind of pepper they use but it's not very hot.

PrairieChilihead said:
Here is a question that you folks in other countries could answer: In your pizza restaurants do you find shakers as described above on the tables? Or sauces, or pepperoncini peppers (dried? In bowls?)

Some places have Tabasco, some (VERY few!) have (unidentified) flakes. The "hot" peperoncini they put on the pizza range from sweet to kinda hot. I prefer to spice up take away food myself at home.

PrairieChilihead said:
Here is a question that you folks in other countries could answer: In your pizza restaurants do you find shakers as described above on the tables? Or sauces, or pepperoncini peppers (dried? In bowls?) I'm taking wild stabs. I've just assumed that 'round the world we all found the same things. But, why should that be?

Thanks for humoring me. :D

Chiliac said:
Some places have Tabasco, some (VERY few!) have (unidentified) flakes. The "hot" peperoncini they put on the pizza range from sweet to kinda hot. I prefer to spice up take away food myself at home.

In Italy pizza started as a Saturday dish for using the rest of bread dough with the leftovers of the previous days so they could start again with the "better food" on Sunday. Then pizza started it's own life as a cult dish. In Germany pizza was introduced by Italian workers after WW 2 in our "Wirtschaftswunder" in the fifties. And it was adapted to German taste. I'm sure that happened anywhere where Italians started Pizzerias. I have been to Italy but never came further south than Meran so I can't tell by own experience how pizza is like in southern Italy. But I have been told that it is quite different.

I have seen some reports on Italian pizza and I especially remember one hot pizza that didn't even have cheese on it, so aas Armadillo said, the "true" Italian pizza is obviously quite different from what we get to eat in Europe or the U.S.
I made is as far as Milano and Venice, but never had pizza, only pasta and that was delicious.

I don't buy it because I'm really hooked on Naga's and habs. However, I still like it. If I'm at someones house and they have Tabasco sauce I'll use it. It does have really good flavor on eggs still. I like cayennes quite a bit as well even though they aren't hot. I usually put some Naga powder mixed with cayennes in my chili. What else is funny is my wife cooks with the Naga powder sometimes now. She doesn't use much, but she likes how she doesn't have to use much to add some kick. Would have never thought my wife would use Naga powder:lol: Now that she's pregnant she loves to eat hotwings more now as well. Just with Franks, but she LOVES IT!! Maybe my baby's a future chilihead too..lol!

rabbit said:
I don't buy it because I'm really hooked on Naga's and habs. However, I still like it. If I'm at someones house and they have Tabasco sauce I'll use it. It does have really good flavor on eggs still. I like cayennes quite a bit as well even though they aren't hot. I usually put some Naga powder mixed with cayennes in my chili. What else is funny is my wife cooks with the Naga powder sometimes now. She doesn't use much, but she likes how she doesn't have to use much to add some kick. Would have never thought my wife would use Naga powder:lol: Now that she's pregnant she loves to eat hotwings more now as well. Just with Franks, but she LOVES IT!! Maybe my baby's a future chilihead too..lol!

Gotta start 'em on the Defcon early, bro. I'd suggest immediately after birth is a good time to start.

Back