• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Donairs & Grilled Romaine Lettuce

approx 3 pounds of ground meat(i used veal and pork)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp montreal steak spice
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

mix together...overworking is good here or you can run it through your food mixer. shape into a roll and let it sit in the fridge overnight, covered.

i used a grill with a rotissiere and cooked it until it hit 155*F and let residual heat take it the rest of the way.

the sauce i used tonight
1 bottle of kraft cucumber salad dressing
1 small container of plain yogurt
lots of black pepper

the traditional sauce
2/3 c. Canned Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 c. White Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
Stir the milk and garlic powder together. Add vinegar quickly. You will have to stir the sauce for a couple of minutes in order for the vinegar and milk to mix properly. Leave it sit for a few minutes.

you will also need
tomatoes
onions, sliced paper thin
pita bread

2gy9kc0.jpg

2wlzza9.jpg

2qby8h4.jpg

Nice! I assume Döner is the same, never seen your spelling.

Cool, thanks.

Bam, never grilled romaine, but have you ever grilled radicchio? It's great with olive oil and sea salt.

thehotpepper.com said:
Cool, thanks.

Bam, never grilled romaine, but have you ever grilled radicchio? It's great with olive oil and sea salt.

yup thats how i grill the romaine..i just add some fresh cracked black pepper...add a little fresh parmesan cheese...also add a splash of caesar dressing when serving..

i like the radicchio alot...i also like grilled endive done the same way

Döner is good, but I like kefta.

Omri said:
Doesn't look like a doner. more like a giant meatloaf.

so does this...its just done horizontally(which use to be the traditional way) instead of vertical according to this

but i never said it was a doner..lol
its a donair...canadian version..lol

Bursa4.JPG

This thread has me in the mood for merguez. There's a place by me where they make the pita right in front of you and stuff it with your choice... the merguez rocks!

BamsBBQ said:
so does this...its just done horizontally(which use to be the traditional way) instead of vertical according to this

but i never said it was a doner..lol
its a donair...canadian version..lol

Bursa4.JPG
The original is layers of meat. the cheap version is part minced, part layers. it's never a meatloaf.

Omri said:
Sorry, I don't eat pork. try using lamb instead.

i really wanted to use lamb but it is really hard to find it here unless you want to sacrifice lamb chops which run about $16/lb....i also want to find an old beer keg and build a outdoor rotissiere.

POTAWIE said:
Looks great Bam. The Donairs I usually buy, I just found out are a mix of ground beef and lamb but many places just use beef. I usually skip on the garlic sauce and go with tahini or tzatziki and I also love the pickled turnips.
Here's a thread I started a while back
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=10373

cool thread.... around here lamb is not real popular and it is so expensive, gotta find some soon

It sure looks juicy. Do you ever make kefta? It's basically like spiced meatballs cooked on skewers, served in a pita. Omri wouldn't be so hard on you since it's supposed to be all ground meat ;) lol.

thehotpepper.com said:
It sure looks juicy. Do you ever make kefta? It's basically like spiced meatballs cooked on skewers, served in a pita. Omri wouldn't be so hard on you since it's supposed to be all ground meat ;) lol.

LOLOLOL

nope i havent made kefta yet... got a TNT recipe for me? i have lots of pitas,lots skewers and would like to try something new.

I don't, but this (sometimes it's called kofta) looks good. Of course, spice it up! (hab powder, or diced habs, etc.)

By the way, they are not meatball shaped... they are more flat and oval (this shape is better than the sausage shape... the sausage shape is more Indian).

431642167_d92a536847.jpg

Back