• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dorset Naga or Naga Morich

Sauce?

Tony said:
You guys might be interested to know that I've just revamped
our site and are offering seeds, sauce and pods directly now
rather than just through ebay.

http://nagaseeds.org

There will be additional content over the next few weeks as
the new season progresses.

All the best,

Tony.

Hey Tony,

Nice new site.. I love it.. I have to order some pods soon for sure.. I cant wait to flake them and use them in soups.. Oh BTW besides the chili paste do you have a hot sauce for sale?

Cheers,

Tony: On saturday, just 5 days ago, I planted 10 of the naga seeds I got from you. As of a little while ago, two have sprouted already!

If anyone is curious, I soaked them in tap water for about 12 hours prior to planting in moist potting soil. They're in 4 ounce yogurt cups (with holes in the bottom) on a heated propagation mat, set to ~82 degrees F. My garage has been getting up into the mid-80s during the day, so they certainly have been kept warm.

Pod to Flake Conversion

Tony said:
Thanks for the kind words Mark, praise indeed from a respected
fellow Naga-head! :-)

Hopefully people check ebay feedback before buying, you'll see
ours is numerous and spotless (and we only sell Nagas).

Thanks again,

Tony.

How many pods would I need to create 1 oz. of crushed pepper flakes? This should be kind of a general question I guess.

HotSauceGoonie said:
Hey Tony,

Nice new site.. I love it.. I have to order some pods soon for sure.. I cant wait to flake them and use them in soups.. Oh BTW besides the chili paste do you have a hot sauce for sale?

Cheers,

Thanks, still working on the site but it's getting there. The pods
are great, all the heat, all the flavor and keep for ages.
We only have Mr. Naga at the moment. Making sauce is bound in
legislation in the UK...

Tony.

Dwainedibbly said:
Tony: On saturday, just 5 days ago, I planted 10 of the naga seeds I got from you. As of a little while ago, two have sprouted already!

If anyone is curious, I soaked them in tap water for about 12 hours prior to planting in moist potting soil. They're in 4 ounce yogurt cups (with holes in the bottom) on a heated propagation mat, set to ~82 degrees F. My garage has been getting up into the mid-80s during the day, so they certainly have been kept warm.

As I said, quality seed counts for a lot ;-)

We do test for viability to improve chances of success. We see 80%+
germination rates.

Tony.

HotSauceGoonie said:
How many pods would I need to create 1 oz. of crushed pepper flakes? This should be kind of a general question I guess.

I'll have to put some on the scales, I'll get back to you on that...

Tony.

Oh, by the way, here is something I posted on the chillies galore
forum that might be interesting, given the context...

I'm coming down to think that all Naga are indeed the same. In a large enough
batch of pods of Naga Morich (I use this name as this is the one I was
introduced to by Mark (Darlochileman)) you can see all the pod variation
that people are using to illustrate the differences in the so-called varieties.

Shape and colour of Bin, Bhut, Morich and Dorset are all there. So far
there has been nothing that talks about difference in plant morphology
directly, it's alway the pods that are used to illustrate. Only DNA testing
will close this argument, in the meantime why not grow them all and
decide for yourself.
In the end it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, the pods are
blindingly hot whatever they're called.

allnagaiz4.jpg

This image is from a sample of maybe 200 pods.
See? Red Dorsets, Bhut with no pod shoulders and classic Morich shape.
What about the Scorpion? This is a brand new variety! (Is the emphasis
on the word brand or variety?)

Tony

See, I had the same thing with my Naga Morich's. I had some that (based on the above pic) looked like the Dorset, some the Morich, and some the Bhut/Bih....on the same plant.

Thanks

Tony said:
I'll have to put some on the scales, I'll get back to you on that...

Tony.

Once you let me know what is the approximate conversion I will buy some off your website.. Then I am ready to go for pastas, pizzas, and soups.

I can hardly wait. Hoping the flakes will be much hotter than Dave's Insanity Flakes-- Red Savinas

HotSauceGoonie said:
Once you let me know what is the approximate conversion I will buy some off your website.. Then I am ready to go for pastas, pizzas, and soups.

I can hardly wait. Hoping the flakes will be much hotter than Dave's Insanity Flakes-- Red Savinas

Sounds good, and believe me, they will be hotter... :-o

Tony.

imaguitargod said:
See, I had the same thing with my Naga Morich's. I had some that (based on the above pic) looked like the Dorset, some the Morich, and some the Bhut/Bih....on the same plant.

It's true to say that most will look like the Morich, but there
will be exceptions and (as the Scorpion shows) a few oddities.
You wouldn't rush out and try to give each individual variant a
different name though...

Tony.

Hi Tony

The Scorpion is from Trinidad unlike the Nagas, which are of Indian or Bangladeshi origin. I have had both and they are not the same plants or pods. I see no reason to add Naga to its name...They do share a bumpy texture which is by no means restricted to just these peppers. The 7 pod reportedly has similar characteristics too, another Trinidadian variety...which everyone sems to be after nowadays..please before anyone asks...no I do not have any seeds available...Had to say that after the floods of requests for the Trinidad Scorpions this summer and autumn....lol...you would not believe how many requests I had!!!! Made my inbox get clogged up a few times...LOL

As for saying that the TS (or any of the nagas for that matter) is a "brand new variety"...these peppers have been around for many years in their respective homelands and even abroad in some cases.

I quite agree that the Nagas/Jolokias are very much the same and feel that the proliferation of names is as much about marketing as it is the multiple namings of these peppers in the countries of origin. At least it is now...Im waiting for more namings to jump up out of all this mess soon as more and more people see a way to make a buck!!

I find the pricing of seeds in most cases a downright rip off! It just goes to show what all the hype can do.

Of course I am in some part responsible for a very small bit of that hype...as I have been defending the Naga Jolokia story from the outset..having had Nagas in the mid Nineties and been telling people about them for years. Most of the time this has led to ridicule and often downright rudeness.....where are all those "Dear Chile Friends" now????...ummmmmmmm!

Actually, when I lived in Southall, West London in 1988-1989, similar pods were occasionally to be found in some of the greengrocers there, but I never heard them described as Nagas back then. The first time I came across the name was in South Croydon in 1997, in a Bangladeshi restaurant....happily discovered when I was lodged by work just up the road whilst digging in the local sewerage treatment plant...but thats another story...lol.

On last thing whilst beating around the bush, that I think is quite interesting is that there is an Indian population in Trinidad and that this may link the pods from asia to those from the island...thats where any DNA testing may be an eye opener. There do seem to be similarities between some of these super hot peppers that goes beyond the heat level itself.

Its also going to be very interesting to follow the growout that Mark McMullan of the chileman.org is doing this year of all the different super hots....its going to be great to see a detailed comparaison and some decent pics of each of them.

Anyway Pepperheads..Happy New Year!! I hope all of you that want seeds find a way to get them, get great germination, great plants and super production in 2007. I know that there will be very few who will be disappointed, whatever version you try. These are really fantastic peppers, great flavor and as much heat as you could possibly hope for........errrr...well for some of us addicts we will always want a little more!

This year I have high hopes for a few crosses I tried with the Trinidad Scorpion and a variety of chocolate chinenses....now thats going to be a lot of fun...but then again growing chiles always has been for me and hopefully will continue that way!

All my very best one and all

Guy

Guy Holman said:
Hi Tony

The Scorpion is from Trinidad unlike the Nagas, which are of Indian or Bangladeshi origin...

Guy

Hi Guy,

The Scorpion Naga is my joke. As my text says, ALL these pods
are from the same batch of Morich. I was making the point that
just because it's a different shape it isn't a unique variety.
(It does have a scorpion-like tail though).

Mark and I have discussed naga at some length. There are a small
number of people growing out all 'varieties', me for another.
The careful observation of their growing habits will certainly
be interesting. DNA testing will be another way of closing this.

The hype is as you say staggering. This surrounded the 'Dorset
Naga' most, claiming it to be a new variety. This pod has been
know to the Bangladashi communities in the UK for decades, before
that who knows how long it has been used in Eastern cooking. How
can it be new...

I will try to isolate the odd naga in this image to see if
I can promote the tail attribute of this particular Morich though,
it's an interesting pod shape - but a Naga Morich.

All the best and thanks for reitterating the some of the points.

Tony

http://nagaseeds.org

Tony said:
Thanks for the kind words Mark, praise indeed from a respected
fellow Naga-head! :-)

Hopefully people check ebay feedback before buying, you'll see
ours is numerous and spotless (and we only sell Nagas).

Thanks again,

Tony.

Tony, I just realized that you're the Naga guy on ebay! :( As you can see I'm a bit slow in putting together the pieces of the puzzle. :) Since we are both set up as ebay stores, if there is anything that Cape Fear can do for you here in the US side of ebay, just drop me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss a plan. Keep up the Great work!
Cap'n

Cap said:

:-)
No worries, I don't usually like to use these forums as an
extended marketing scheme so it's easy not to make the connection.
Have just sent you a PM.

Tony.

Super Hot

Very good points Guy. I, like Chileman, have plans for the Super Hot Grow Out this season. I will document all things well with pictures too. :cool: I am excited about this even though it is unlikely I will be able to handle them heatwise.

Chris

How many Morich pods to an ounce?

OK, I just weighed some dried pods and the answer is about
120 dried Morich pods == 1 oz

Let me tell you, this is a pile of pods! Unlike other chillies
the Morich is very thin skinned, a dried pod weighs almost nothing
(well 1/120th of an oz to be precise)

I'd be interested in the recipe that requires 1 oz of Morich,
especially since they are 4x Savina in heat.

Anyway, I hope this answers the question.

All the best,

Tony.

Tony said:
OK, I just weighed some dried pods and the answer is about
120 dried Morich pods == 1 oz

Let me tell you, this is a pile of pods! Unlike other chillies
the Morich is very thin skinned, a dried pod weighs almost nothing
(well 1/120th of an oz to be precise)

I'd be interested in the recipe that requires 1 oz of Morich,
especially since they are 4x Savina in heat.

Anyway, I hope this answers the question.

All the best,

Tony.

Thanks for that info. I remember having 2 IBS of dried habanero yucatan pods and I was able to get about 20 oz. of flakes or powder from them after putting them into the blender.. They were sort of chunky though.

Back