• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Dr Pepper sauce

I posted a nice recipe for some AWESOME dr pepper soda based sauce. Would be cool if you guys could try it and tell me what you guys think. :mouthonfire:

PwnedPepper said:
that sure will be an odd flavor

Irn bru is very sweet - those in the States liken it too bubble gum I believe?

Worth a bash I think anyway. I mght try an experiment with using it in a straight forward sweet chilli sauce first to see how it goes.

Whats flavors do Irn Bru come in? Ive made it with Coca Cola and Dr. Pepper, but ive never even had Irn Bru or seen it. When I looked it up it looked like it is more of a fruity flavor. But hey i wouldnt know :lol:

ravnloft said:
Tried this recipe last night and thought it was great. I did not have regular Dr. Pepper, but I am big fan of their Diet Cherry Vanilla ( drink a 12 pack a day) so I used that. It worked well. I added some molasses to replace the sugar in the diet soda and used more tomatoe paste to thicken it and add a little more tomatoe flavor. Overall the whole family loved the recipe
Drink only a half a pack a day? You light weight mamsy pansy LOL, I drink 2x 2 liters a day some times 3 depending on weather and how thirsty I am. By the way PwnedPepper I will try this and let you know I may modify it and do it with hab's

PwnedPepper said:
thats cool derek let me know how it is. i actually want people to spice it up...its pretty weak but its a good flavored sauce in my opinion.:lol:
Will do Mate, Now when you mean ground peppers you mean dry them first in a fruit dehydrator or buy them in a ground spice?

PhatManDerek said:
Will do Mate, Now when you mean ground peppers you mean dry them first in a fruit dehydrator or buy them in a ground spice?

Could be either, actually. Some folks here dehydrate their own peppers then put them through a grinder and make their own powders. Others like me just go out and buy ground peppers in bulk.

Sickmont said:
Could be either, actually. Some folks here dehydrate their own peppers then put them through a grinder and make their own powders. Others like me just go out and buy ground peppers in bulk.
I'm actually going to grown mine in the garden "if Michigan will allow me too in the spring time", I will be growing habanero's & jalapeno's Anyways PwnedPepper, Take a look mate this is your recipe I'm going to use on ribs and I'm going to marinade them over night in the fridge!

468181481_e3kA3-M-0.jpg

Omri said:
We don't have Dr. Pepper here, so what can I use instead? I could look for some Cherry Coke.

no cherry coke..no cherry coke..lol

if you really want dr pepper in israel, go to a higher end hotel there or one of the universities if u r near them
http://israelity.com/2008/03/18/the-doctor-is-in/

http://www.whatwarzone.com/2008/04/dr-oh-my-lord.html

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=6278093869&topic=3473

I live in Israel, and a long time ago there was no Dr Pepper here. My sister and I used to bring 12 packs of Dr Pepper back to Israel after visiting family in the U.S.

About 6 years ago a few small stores that cater to the American public and specialize in hard to get American items started carrying Dr Pepper! Its crazy expensive, but worth it as a treat every few months!
PhatManDerek said:
I'm actually going to grown mine in the garden "if Michigan will allow me too in the spring time", I will be growing habanero's & jalapeno's Anyways PwnedPepper, Take a look mate this is your recipe I'm going to use on ribs and I'm going to marinade them over night in the fridge!

468181481_e3kA3-M-0.jpg

your sauce looks awesome

PwnedPepper said:
Whats flavors do Irn Bru come in? Ive made it with Coca Cola and Dr. Pepper, but ive never even had Irn Bru or seen it. When I looked it up it looked like it is more of a fruity flavor. But hey i wouldnt know :lol:

Well...it comes in Irn Bru flavour. The only thing I have heard is that it taste like bubblegum.

Anyhoo, I had a wee experiment with it and...well...it didn't taste good. I didn't really follow the recipe accurately so it may have been more me than the Bru though.

I've just started making a version of this and it smells delicious, however I think 1/2 cup of worcestershire sauce may be too much as it tends to overpower the taste of the dr pepper in my opinion. I also added some vanilla essence and just a few habs (12!)

It's still cooking down, however it's damn nice already. I think I may add more dr pepper to counter balance the worcestershire.

PhatManDerek said:
Drink only a half a pack a day? You light weight mamsy pansy LOL, I drink 2x 2 liters a day some times 3 depending on weather and how thirsty I am. By the way PwnedPepper I will try this and let you know I may modify it and do it with hab's

Look the beginning of Derek and the Dr. Pepper!!!

PhatManDerek said:
Drink only a half a pack a day? You light weight mamsy pansy LOL, I drink 2x 2 liters a day some times 3 depending on weather and how thirsty I am.

Do you realize what all that HFCS is doing to your insides? And to your outsides?

Back