• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2015 Grow Log

I did start my Pepper plants in 2014, but in honor of the New Year, it is time for a new album.  To start off the 2015 Chile Pepper grow log, I bring you the first Brazilian Ghost pod of the season.  This is not a great picture, as it is hard to focus on something small in the middle of the canopy.

I have at least 50 pods on my Pimenta de Neyde X Bhut Jolokia (F7) Plant. I'm praying that they mature before the frost comes. I had a few scares, as it has been below 40 F the last two nights, dipping to 35 F early this morning. If the weather report holds true, I have at least two more weeks before having to worry about frost. I can let pods finish ripening inside, BUT they have to start turning color first, otherwise I just end up with immature peppers that have a little heat, with a disgusting unripe green pepper taste. It looks like it is going to be a close race. Wish me warm weather, because the warmer it is, the faster the pods will develop.

I can’t bring the plant inside, because it is too big to fit under my lights. It is also so wide with so many branches, that if I would attempt to being it inside, I would badly damage the plant and knock off many pods in the process, so I just have to hope for the best.

This sprouted from a seed of one of Pimenta de Neyde X Bhut Jolokia pods.  As some plants from the next generation could be crosses with the Yellow 7 Pot that is right next to it, I’m saving seeds from each pod in different Ziplocs.  This one is from batch #49.  I’m hoping for a cross, but so far, this purple stem looks exactly like the parent.

I’m starting a few plants for next year’s garden early.  I’m going to put them into the ground tall, with many branches.  This is one of my F5 Superchiles.  

An Aji Cereza just popped its head out.

I’m wondering whether this Aji Cereza crossed with one of my Superchiles in the previous generation, as it is growing much faster than this variety usually does.

I love the first sign of a sprout!  This Pimenta de Neyde X Bhut Jolokia (now F8, but I think if this grows true one more generation, we can consider this stable and stop with the numbering) took 13 days to sprout.  I was hoping for a green stem, so I can grow out a cross between the PDN X Bhut and Yellow 7, but this will do!

One of it's older brethren:

Superchile:

Aji Cereza:

One more of the Pimenta de Neyde x Bhut Jolokia's just sprouted after 8 days.  Sorry for the crappy picture.  It is hard for my iPhone's camera to focus on small things.  

Back