• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Ed’s Roadhouse Jerky: Devils Tongue & L’il Sweet Jalapeno Habanero

Ed’s Roadhouse Jerky: Devils Tongue & L’il Sweet Jalapeno Habanero

Manufacturer: Ed’s Roadhouse Jerky Inc.

Ingredients: angus beef eye of round, fresh habanero & jalapenos, water, garlic salt, sugar, soybean, wheat, salt, natural flavoring spices, molasses, pepper extract.

Snacks are always something I look forward to. With my (attempted) diet, I make any excuse I can to cheat. Ed’s Roadhouse Jerky has sent in two of their hottest jerkys: L’il Sweet Jalapeno Habanero and Devils Tongue, and the results are in!

The packaging is nice, if not a bit plain. It’s vacuum sealed like nobody’s business, so it’s VERY hard to read the label before it’s opened (note the picture) – and the flavor is hidden in the upper right corner. Ideally – somehow – the label should be easier to read in the vacuum seal, and the flavor of the jerky easier to find. Also, I like to see Nutritional information. So far, this is my only suggestion to Ed. That said, if you order online you should know what you’re getting. I’m just imagining it on a shelf at the market.

I’m not a jerky connoisseur, but I’ve had my share. Let’s just say that off the top of my head I can name at least 2 major Jerky brands (Pemmican and Jack Links), and I’ve had home-made jerky a couple times. For the record, I prefer Pemmican to Jack Links.

Jerky needs to meet some very specific guidelines:

1. It needs to have just the tiniest bit of moisture, but be very dry. If it’s too moist, it breaks apart too easily. Pemmican and JL are a bit too moist (I believe on purpose, so you eat more of it faster).

2. It needs to be a bit spicy, a bit sweet and moderately salty. Teriyaki lends itself wonderfully to jerky because it fits these criteria nicely.

3. It needs to be VERY lean. Strips of fat in jerky are kind of gross to chew – being either too tough or too sinewy. Pemmican and JL both have fatty jerky. Until now, I just figured that went with the territory.

Ed, apparently, agrees with me, as he’s made a jerky that I would call “near perfect” for each of those guidelines. Moreover – and this is something that never occurred to me until Ed’s jerky – it’s cut up into small, bite-sized pieces (about 1 inch squares). With the major jerky brands, there is shrapnel on the bottom of the bags, and resting comfortably on that are huge, honkin’ pieces that you need to rip apart with your teeth. Frankly, it’s always bothered me – it’s hard to tear jerky, and sometimes I don’t want a piece of jerky nine inches long. These are the perfect size pieces.

Devils Tongue is awesome. It actually burns the throat a bit as you swallow, and once or twice has evoked a cough from me. It’s strong with spice and pepper flavor, cut perfectly with molasses and sugar. I would call it a solid medium heat, but Ed calls it “xxxx "HOT as HELL" xxxx.” Ed, you make a DAMN fine jerky, but it ain’t THAT hot. On that note, the wife loved it, but did need a drink to quell the burn. For your average Joe, it would definitely be classified as “hot,” but I don’t think anyone but the most sensitive would call it xxxx hot. And they probably wouldn’t be the target consumer for this, anyway, so f- them.

L’il Sweet Jalapeno Habanero has the same base flavor as Devils Tongue – that cannot be denied. It has a medium heat (Ed calls it xxx "HOT" xxx); it’s a bit less hot than DT. Also, it seems like the molasses was kicked up a little bit, it’s slightly sweeter. They’re both just fantastic. I expected a rather marked difference between the two, but that was not implied by Ed or the packaging in any way – it was an assumption I made simply because I got two types of jerky. Upon perusal of his site, it clearly indicates that these are the two hottest jerkys Ed offers – which makes perfect sense why he chose these to send in to The Hot Pepper (and why I should not be surprised at all that they’re alike).

Compared to mass-market jerky, this stuff is just leaps and bounds better. The meat is definitely much higher quality, it’s leaner, the flavor is fantastic, the texture and consistency is just right and make no mistake – you sure as hell won’t find this heat level in convenience store jerky (however exaggerated I find the description on the website).

Ed makes a slamming jerky, and I defy you to beat his meat. Now, Ed, I challenge you to ramp the heat up, and make a chili-head edition.

Flavor: 10/10. I can’t think of anything that could be improved about this jerky. It’s definitely the best jerky I’ve ever had.

Heat, from Nada to Naga: 4.5/10 Hot, but still within the realm of average acceptability. Let’s try to leave this realm.

Overall: 10/10.

(As an aside, I preferred this jerky one or two days old. It dried it out just a tad more.)

Attachments

• IMG00041sm.jpg
    IMG00041sm.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 245
klyth said:
Manufacturer: Ed’s Roadhouse Jerky Inc.

Ingredients: angus beef eye of round, fresh habanero & jalapenos, water, garlic salt, sugar, soybean, wheat, salt, natural flavoring spices, molasses, pepper extract.

Snacks are always something I look forward to. With my (attempted) diet, I make any excuse I can to cheat. Ed’s Roadhouse Jerky has sent in two of their hottest jerkys: L’il Sweet Jalapeno Habanero and Devils Tongue, and the results are in!

The packaging is nice, if not a bit plain. It’s vacuum sealed like nobody’s business, so it’s VERY hard to read the label before it’s opened (note the picture) – and the flavor is hidden in the upper right corner. Ideally – somehow – the label should be easier to read in the vacuum seal, and the flavor of the jerky easier to find. Also, I like to see Nutritional information. So far, this is my only suggestion to Ed. That said, if you order online you should know what you’re getting. I’m just imagining it on a shelf at the market.

I’m not a jerky connoisseur, but I’ve had my share. Let’s just say that off the top of my head I can name at least 2 major Jerky brands (Pemmican and Jack Links), and I’ve had home-made jerky a couple times. For the record, I prefer Pemmican to Jack Links.

Jerky needs to meet some very specific guidelines:

1. It needs to have just the tiniest bit of moisture, but be very dry. If it’s too moist, it breaks apart too easily. Pemmican and JL are a bit too moist (I believe on purpose, so you eat more of it faster).

2. It needs to be a bit spicy, a bit sweet and moderately salty. Teriyaki lends itself wonderfully to jerky because it fits these criteria nicely.

3. It needs to be VERY lean. Strips of fat in jerky are kind of gross to chew – being either too tough or too sinewy. Pemmican and JL both have fatty jerky. Until now, I just figured that went with the territory.

Ed, apparently, agrees with me, as he’s made a jerky that I would call “near perfect” for each of those guidelines. Moreover – and this is something that never occurred to me until Ed’s jerky – it’s cut up into small, bite-sized pieces (about 1 inch squares). With the major jerky brands, there is shrapnel on the bottom of the bags, and resting comfortably on that are huge, honkin’ pieces that you need to rip apart with your teeth. Frankly, it’s always bothered me – it’s hard to tear jerky, and sometimes I don’t want a piece of jerky nine inches long. These are the perfect size pieces.

Devils Tongue is awesome. It actually burns the throat a bit as you swallow, and once or twice has evoked a cough from me. It’s strong with spice and pepper flavor, cut perfectly with molasses and sugar. I would call it a solid medium heat, but Ed calls it “xxxx "HOT as HELL" xxxx.” Ed, you make a DAMN fine jerky, but it ain’t THAT hot. On that note, the wife loved it, but did need a drink to quell the burn. For your average Joe, it would definitely be classified as “hot,” but I don’t think anyone but the most sensitive would call it xxxx hot. And they probably wouldn’t be the target consumer for this, anyway, so f- them.

L’il Sweet Jalapeno Habanero has the same base flavor as Devils Tongue – that cannot be denied. It has a medium heat (Ed calls it xxx "HOT" xxx); it’s a bit less hot than DT. Also, it seems like the molasses was kicked up a little bit, it’s slightly sweeter. They’re both just fantastic. I expected a rather marked difference between the two, but that was not implied by Ed or the packaging in any way – it was an assumption I made simply because I got two types of jerky. Upon perusal of his site, it clearly indicates that these are the two hottest jerkys Ed offers – which makes perfect sense why he chose these to send in to The Hot Pepper (and why I should not be surprised at all that they’re alike).

Compared to mass-market jerky, this stuff is just leaps and bounds better. The meat is definitely much higher quality, it’s leaner, the flavor is fantastic, the texture and consistency is just right and make no mistake – you sure as hell won’t find this heat level in convenience store jerky (however exaggerated I find the description on the website).

Ed makes a slamming jerky, and I defy you to beat his meat. Now, Ed, I challenge you to ramp the heat up, and make a chili-head edition.

Flavor: 10/10. I can’t think of anything that could be improved about this jerky. It’s definitely the best jerky I’ve ever had.

Heat, from Nada to Naga: 4.5/10 Hot, but still within the realm of average acceptability. Let’s try to leave this realm.

Overall: 10/10.

(As an aside, I preferred this jerky one or two days old. It dried it out just a tad more.)

Thanks Klyth,

Thanks for the great review !

Regards,

Ed@

Ed's RoadHousE Jerky
"Nobody Beats My Meat"

I've only had jerky once from a supermarket and I'm sure it was made by Wild West, if it wasn't it was the other company I've seen that sells it over here that I can't think of, they might have called it Biltong or something but I don't know who made it. I love the stuff though. BTW your signature Ed is great!

I agree with this review 100%. My dad and brother tried the devils tongue and lil sweet jalapeno habanero with me. We all loved it!

FadeToBlack said:
Just ordered me some, will give a review when it arrives.

I never received an order from the Bahamas?
when ever your ready check out www.edsroadhousejerky.com you won't be disappointed!

Regards,
Ed
Founder of Ed's RoadHousE Jerky

CayenneLover said:
what... no bulk packaging :(

Yes I sell in larger qty's I haven't added them to my site yet just have to call to get it . It will be up shortly.

Bulk price 1 to 3 lbs (10% off)
Bulk price 4 lbs and up (12% off)

Regards,

Ed
Founder of Ed's RoadHousE Jerky
"Nobody Beats My Meat"

rainbowberry said:
I've only had jerky once from a supermarket and I'm sure it was made by Wild West, if it wasn't it was the other company I've seen that sells it over here that I can't think of, they might have called it Biltong or something but I don't know who made it. I love the stuff though. BTW your signature Ed is great!

Thanks

Ed's RoadHousE Jerky
"Nobody Beats My Meat"

Ed's Road House Jerky,

When I order anything in the US I ship it to my Florida address.

I have tried the Devils tongue and sweet black pepper and its definatly
the best I have ever had. I will be trying the other flavors when I go on
my trip to Tampa to see metallica.

Anyone who enjoys beef jerky you really can't go wrong.

i love jerky, but it's only available in some supermarkets here, which i find a little sweet.(commercial stuff)
rainbowberry, biltong's South African, & a little different, but the same principle.

To be honest, commercial jerky taste nothing like homemade and shoulden't even be allowed to market itself as such. All the preservatives they use really makes it taste like crap. Just my honest opinion

FtB
i'd second that, the supermkt stuff tasted way inferior to the jerky i had in the States.i'd guess home-made is even better.

I went through the Devil's Tongue jerky pretty quick, but never got around to posting. It was as good as advertised. I'd ask for even more heat, but it was still hotter than you would find anywhere else. Definitely earns a 10/10 in my book and I'll be ordering some larger quantities soon. Great Jerky!

ZanderSpice said:
I went through the Devil's Tongue jerky pretty quick, but never got around to posting. It was as good as advertised. I'd ask for even more heat, but it was still hotter than you would find anywhere else. Definitely earns a 10/10 in my book and I'll be ordering some larger quantities soon. Great Jerky!

I'm glad you liked it. I also have a new flavor I just finished Spicy Sweet Apple that will be added to my menu this one has a very unique flavor .

Ed's RoadHousE " New Spicy Fajita Fiesta Jerky"

Ed's RoadHousE has just added another HOT jerky to the menu, Southwestern Flavor " Spicy Fajita Fiesta " beef jerky
Say that 3 times fast LOL!
Taste just like a Mexican Fajita!

I just added a new flavor to Ed's RoadHousE Jerky menu " Red Hot Raspberry Habanero " The flavor in this jerky is out of this world you will just have to taste it for your self lol........

Back