• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Eephus Man's 2012 March to Hell and Back (Grow Log)

Okay, I'm going to *actually* try and update things this year. My first flats will start tomorrow (chinenses and a few other long-seasons), and the rest, minus a few herbs/tomatoes, will go in later this week or early next. I'm going to try and be better about keeping records this year, too. We'll see how it goes with my limited time, but I'm hopeful.

So...without further blab, here's a tease of a few batches of seeds soaking in a seaweed/superthrive solution over night.

My current grow list looks like this:

Peppers (Hot)

7-Pot White (OP)
Aji Angelo
Aji Omnicolor
BAC593605
Bahamian Finger (Direct Sourced!)
Barro do Robiero
Billy Biker Jalapeno
Bonda ma Jacques
Broome
CA438633
Cheiro do Norte
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero (OP)
Criolla Sella
Congo Trinidad
Datil
Fatalii
Fish
Goat's Weed
Guampinho de Veado
Habanero de Arbol
Hinkelhatz
Hot Portugal (OP)
Mustard Habanero
Naga Jolokia
NuMex Jalmundo
Peach Scorpanero
Peppadew
Pilange (OP)
Rooster Spur (seedlings destroyed)
Santa Fe Grande
Thai Hot
Uyababa
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Zimbabwe Bird

Peppers (Sweet or Very Mild Heat)

Ashe County Pimiento (0% germination)
Buran
Canary Bell (Two germinated, gave both away)
Cubanelle
Dulce di Minvervino
Hungarian Wax
Jimmy Nardello's
Kaleidoscope
Kalocsa
Kurtovska Kapiya 1619
Miniature Red Bell
Piment D'espelette (0% germination)
Pimiento L
Piquillo
R Naky
Shishito
Sweet Banana
Sweet Chocolate (lost seed, did not plant)
Sweet Pickle

I'm trying out small batches of varietals that are new to me, and larger for those that are known favs for me. Most of these will end up in pots or small raised beds. My title is in reference to the well-known summer conditions in Texas this year, where we were spared little in the way of either rainfall (none between late April and early October) or temperatures (over 100F for 90 days, including two, back-to-back 25+ day runs over 100F). This is also a test to see which varieties produce before the heat set, during the summer, and which begin to produce again the most quickly in the fall.

We'll see how it goes and I'm happy to have you on board for advice, tips, questions and observations!

Special thanks this year to Buck77, Kappy, menotume, hot stuff, and Spicegeist for help with wanted seeds and unrequested generosity!

Thanks guys!! Gary, would you believe that's my front yard? Not far from the street, either. It's why my wife and I moved here. Its the Hill Country thicket! :)

I can't wait to get my hands dirty tomorrow!

Looking good Eric! I'm hoping to get some progress on mine this week too. I would love to move out as well. Envy you on that!

Mike

Sorry to hear about all the issues you've been dealing with, glad they survived. Peppers are tough sons of guns and can make it through just about anything. I hope you're through with disasters though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Okay. More pics, as promised. I don't know when I'll be able to update again. Probably a couple of weeks.

Shot from eye-level of the potted up stuff. I'm probably about 2/3 done. There are quite a few containers that still have lettuce in them from the winter. I'm waiting on my wife's okay on those, since we've got one more massive salad left in them.

Bird's eye view of pots.

\

Bird's eye view of to-be-potted. Most of these will go into my backyard raised bed. I'm going to try "clumping" this year. Going to be ~20 plants in a 20-24sf area, as well as several on the sides. I just chopped down a cedar (juniper) tree yesterday to get more light for the back bed. It's a double-edged sword. It kept that bed cool last year, and I got really good growth out of the chinenses back there. BUT...they really didn't produce much fruit and didn't bloom much at all. I believe it is light related. So down came the primary shade. Good exercise with an axe!

Thai bird about to pop a bloom

Overwintered/non-cutback Aji Angelo. Finally got my pepper ripe on it from last November! It wasn't hot :(. I'm going to let it go another year simply because its one tough SOB. We'll see how it goes...

Tomatillo bloom

Have no idea what this is, but I cut it back to the soil after it froze. Has never been inside and this is where it is now. I *think* its a yellow bedder, but I have no idea.

Awesome branching in Zimbabwe Bird

From L to R in a little cedar planter box - Jalmundo, Mini Red Bell, Overwintered (cut back) Super Serrano, Peppermania Mystery Pepper, Dill

First bloom on the overwintered Chocolate Hab

If someone will post next, I'll put up the rest of the photos. :)

Thanks, sync!

Here's the remainder

Bird poop...er, Fish pepper with some "splashy" variegation.

Overwintered Aribibi flowers. This thing is going crazy with buds/blooms. I have been pinching it forever prior to xplant, but I'm just gonna let it go now, I think.

And finally, what the hell is this kind of mushroom, anyone? It smells like a cross between dog crap and spoiled meat, but looks uber cool. Never seen one before.

Okay, where's Patrick to tell me if this is my new boyfriend or girlfriend.

It's that time of year where they start coming out to do something. Mate? Hunt? Beats me. But I've bumped into two in two days. This fella?/gal? was underneath a 18-pot tray on my deck area.

You can see by the second photo, its a pretty decent sized one. Among the larger I've seen in the yard (but not the largest).

My housemate made me pick the herbs from then on out... I don't mind spiders.

lol. I don't, either. Although I'm not a fan of recluses and widows. Since I can't see them well, they concern me (and me for my kids) more than the tarantulas. The latter are big, slow, and "nice" compared to other spiders. My daughter loves checking them out.

Looks female to me (I also keep Tarantulas). If you have had a lot of rain lately, it could have been flushed out of its burrow.

Must be awesome having native/wild tarantulas in your backyard, I am extremely jealous!

Looks female to me (I also keep Tarantulas). If you have had a lot of rain lately, it could have been flushed out of its burrow.

Must be awesome having native/wild tarantulas in your backyard, I am extremely jealous!

We had 2.5-3" of rain on Tuesday night. Very heavy for our area.

Interesting. Wonder if that's why I ran into the one yesterday afternoon as well.

So what do they do? Wait for their burrow to dry out, or wander till they find another suitable place?

Tarantulas are some of my favs. Scorpions, OTOH, I could do without. They tend to invite themselves inside too frequently, and quite enjoy the ceilings. Unfortunately, I don't look up much, and they hurt.

Check out the perfect worm "bite"!

BT went out this morning. I think these are some kind of cabbage worm. They were devastating the lettuce before I pulled it. Should've known better than not to pre-treat in those pots.

I'm just lucky they aren't horns. No sign of those...yet.

Good luck with those worms... so far I haven't noticed much in the way of pests, it's still been too cool for the aphid population to start exploding (though they *have* found my seedlings), and other than that I've only seen a few slugs.

Finally got my yard of dirt from GeoGrowers (and another 20gs of their amazing potting soil) and got the backyard raised bed garden in place.

It's a real swank setup. Hopefully it'll do better this year. I chopped down a tree to get it more light and I'm trying the "clumping" method (or at least a close - on 12" - grow). 22 plants there + some end pieces. 26 in total.

We'll see how it goes. If I can keep the snails and pill bugs off of them for the first couple of weeks, I think it'll be great.

Also, check out the size of the mystery pubescens sp. in the lower right corner. I can't remember a bigger start I've ever had. Already clear of a foot tall.

Sethsquatch found out last year the slugs like stone like the cinderblocks.

No way! Okay, that's fascinating. Brian, can you point me to that thread (I'll try and find it on my own meanwhile).

Well, that'll be good knowledge for next year, but it looks like this year I'm on a mission from God to save that little plot from the snails!

Back