• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2014: 1st grow! Winter is coming.

Ok, today i decided to plant seeds.
First of all i want to thank who helped me in a thread and Sarge in particular that helped me to decide what to do! :D And Lonewolf from pepperfriends forum that has helped me a lot!

My list, all from Semillas, begin of september 2013:

ir2YmjGmgP7ma.jpg

• Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • HP22B
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Fatalii
  • Fatalii White
  • Ferenc Tender
I've planted all but Ferenc Tender seeds, i'll plant them next month or in beginning of March. If i'll plant them.
11 per type.
I've treated seeds for 15 mins in a 3% bleach solution then i washed them very well in water before planting.
During that process i lost 1 seed of Trinidad Douglah and 3 of Chocoloate Bhut Jolokia (i suppose 2 of that lost seeds were too tiny anyway).

I've used plastic glasses with an hole:
ikbKlTjRsglnO.jpg

The soil, specific for seeds (here before planting):
iPgVihUluA5J0.jpg

• PH 6-7
  • C/N 25
  • 0,6 dS/m
  • organic ferthilizer
  • neutral peat 65% volume
  • organic carbon on dry content 35%
  • organic nitrogen on dry content 11%
  • fulvic and humc carbon on dry content 11%
hope the last 4 are translated accurately...

izNE2bzF7uUIp.jpg

So 62 plants in total. In a 60*100 cm table
  • I plan to grow them all by myself until i have to change the vase.
  • Then i keep 2 per type (12 in total) of them in a 2,4 L vase each (top external diameter 18 cm). It's ok for my table. The rest goes to friends and relatives.
  • Then 1 per type in a 15-20 L vase each and 1 per type in ground. Or all in vases, but probably half on ground. Of course the last vases will go outside, i have a nice spot of 15 m lenght along my house walls that is without wind and quite hot.
Room, that is heating room:
iba6wA08eSrdAi.jpg

That round thing in the left is warm... I've turned on radiator on right.

Here measured temps in center table:

iMr6TuzQdT2ux.jpg

Considering some parallax error is 27°C or little more (hoping that thing is accurate) which is 81°F
In the night will be lower but i think still above 20°C (68°F)
There's some natural light, hope that helps.
I have to do some funny things for the light, unfortunately at home have prohibited to use drying racks that would have been perfect.

I've a 60*3 watts LED light, nearly 10K lumens. I've found a good price and more than half was a birthday present from friends...

iuV6XP6OHYLEV.jpg

It's the round thing.
Well, no cats or dog allowed in growing room! Hope all goes well..

Our water is from a well and goes through an Iron filter and a water softener. And I use it to water the indoor plants a lot, it's never caused any issues that I have seen. Although the ph is high, and I'm sure it has sodium in it. I did collect some nice rain water today, and that's what I'll use until it's gone.

Devv said:
Our water is from a well and goes through an Iron filter and a water softener. And I use it to water the indoor plants a lot, it's never caused any issues that I have seen. Although the ph is high, and I'm sure it has sodium in it.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Devv said:
I did collect some nice rain water today, and that's what I'll use until it's gone.
Nice we too do that, when it's possible. ;) I've read somewhere (=no way i can tell this is true) ph rain should be lower than acqueduct one...

Essegi said:
Thanks.
I mean that some leaves are folded in a not natural way... And some leaves are not green. And other plants have that too..
It seems the younger the plant, more green is.

See here with white light (i've tried to replicate it as more accurate as possible to reality):
iT7KDwd5PaAzn.jpg

Top left and bottom right  leaves are like folded, closed. Center left has not a perfect shape too and is green-yellow...

How tight/compacted is the soil? These plants seem to like loose fluffy soil damp not wet.

That is my overwintered 7pod, i decided to expose it to sun:
iomBbP2TFu2xy.jpg

Garlic and scallots
ijvA2iic40Wm.jpg

Fig is starting to live:
iO0WdxCp9fH1T.jpg

Lupin is sleeping:
iysUisw6M96pM.jpg

Sm1nts2escape said:
How tight/compacted is the soil? These plants seem to like loose fluffy soil damp not wet.
Soil is compatct for the effect of watering. Otherwise is specific for seeds and quite soft. Whnen i watr it it doens't asbsorb too much water and drains well.

My best plant atm is that choco bhut, the only one that seems to grow really well:
i3g3M5uuaNQnT.jpg

Looking good SG!  I like the tidyness of your garlic row.  I've got an in ground fig that I hope takes off.  It puts off starts and then we have more cold, so waiting...

Good luck to you!
Mike

capsidadburn said:
Looking good SG!  I like the tidyness of your garlic row.  I've got an in ground fig that I hope takes off.  It puts off starts and then we have more cold, so waiting...

Good luck to you!
Mike
Thanks! Fig is already flying, impressive growth in these years! I suppose weather here is very good for that kind of plants. The only plant that is even faster is a cypress, don't remeber exactly when we planted it, no more than 4-5 years, it's 5-6m!
I've had problems with olive trees (where i live isn't a bad palce for that tree...But my house in particular isn't optimal). We had 3, eradicated 2 (not killed, we gave them to an uncle of mine), 1 still lasts but doesn't grow and has a sort of illness... At least i've been able to gather 1,5kg of olives (that at least are good) and used them...

Essegi I like the photos especially the closeup of the Fig bud..........the cat shot is cool, also

Rain water is a good idea when you can bucket some.............no good for Artisian pizza though........or maybe............... :lol: 

Everything is looking pretty sharp essegi! Wish I had done olive trees. Surveying the olive orchards in turkey was one of my favorite parts of fieldwork in the Mediterranean.

The curled and yellowed leaves are definitely the result of stress, could be residual from over/ under watering. That particular plant may just be having trouble bouncing back. Just make sure it's gets plenty of light and dries a little between waterings. Not too much of course.

Happy growing!

Not sure what is up with the purple on that plant? But the rest of things look good! Really liking your garden area.

Oh, and remember those Fatalii's I mentioned to you, a while back... 5 weeks and 0% germination. I pulled them today, and started again. Fingers crossed this time!

PIC 1 said:
Essegi I like the photos especially the closeup of the Fig bud..........the cat shot is cool, also

Rain water is a good idea when you can bucket some.............no good for Artisian pizza though........or maybe............... :lol: 
Ah ah who knows? If you ask to someone in Naples and around, they probably say only their water is good!  

maximumcapsicum said:
Everything is looking pretty sharp essegi! Wish I had done olive trees. Surveying the olive orchards in turkey was one of my favorite parts of fieldwork in the Mediterranean.

The curled and yellowed leaves are definitely the result of stress, could be residual from over/ under watering. That particular plant may just be having trouble bouncing back. Just make sure it's gets plenty of light and dries a little between waterings. Not too much of course.

Happy growing!
Oh nice job in Turkey!
Irregular watering could be an idea.
I think i started with a bit too much water. Then regular. Then too little. Now maybe a bit too much...
The thing is that understanding when soil is dried a bit is not easy. I could water a lot that soil and it drains well, so it's not extremely wet. It could be nearly dry but still dark.

Devv said:
Nice garden there!

Soil looks really rich too!
Thanks!

Nick08* said:
Not sure what is up with the purple on that plant? But the rest of things look good! Really liking your garden area.

Oh, and remember those Fatalii's I mentioned to you, a while back... 5 weeks and 0% germination. I pulled them today, and started again. Fingers crossed this time!
I've seen purple effect in other led grow... Maybe it's that light effect.Of course i mean peisistent effect on leaves, not the one due to light color itself. :D
Good luck again with fatalii's!
Now i keep seed here until repot, at that time i'll use non germinated glass soil to fill new pots... If in that time someone pops up, better... I've to ask my friend if has some, she said her father would give me one...

Moreover as the plants get bigger they start to drink more. Easy to have too much in the beginning and too little later on. I'm making the same mistakes over here believe me!

Sending good vibes your way!

That was unexpected! I went to a friend of mine home to replace his radeon 4850 with a 4870. My cousin burnt his vga but i prefer to give my friend that has a better cpu, psu and slightly more resolution monitor the faster card. Replacing a 7900gs is still a big leap... Nerd mode off.

Since my cousin keep his pc in his pizzeria... I ate a good pizza: gorgonzola, porcini and speck. One of the best combo ever. And with a big heat factor: Cajohns Moruga Madness (very good sauce) and Blair's Ultra Death (strong and still good for an extract sauce!).

So my friend gave me that:
ibpjRTQ6kxSITW.jpg

I don't know where he found that, he likes eating hot, but he's not a grower...

I suppose there are a lot more than 50 Piri Piri seeds.
I planted 16.
The rest or i keep for next year or a gift for someone....

Now my setup:
iiVPnHcJ5e5uw.jpg

In the right there are 4 new 4 pot trays...
Not a bad thing!

Tomorrow i should give away 5 to 9 plants (i suppose 5) so maybe i could discard a base...

maximumcapsicum said:
Make sure they go to good homes!
Of course! Most of people are relatives or close friends so i will verify if they are able to harvest their pods or if they'll need mine.
In the latter case i'll deliver one full pod of reaper or douglah directly to their mouth! :D

Devv said:
Essegi, I go by the weight of the pots, cups or whatever I have the plants in when it comes to watering.

Same here. I was over watering at first but quickly learned to weigh the pots before watering. The soil I am using is hard to tell by looks. I even bought a moisture meter.

I watered my plants today, the solo cup gals all needed water. The 1 gal pots, only a few based upon weight.

Back