• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2014: 1st grow! Winter is coming.

Ok, today i decided to plant seeds.
First of all i want to thank who helped me in a thread and Sarge in particular that helped me to decide what to do! :D And Lonewolf from pepperfriends forum that has helped me a lot!

My list, all from Semillas, begin of september 2013:

ir2YmjGmgP7ma.jpg

• Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • HP22B
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Fatalii
  • Fatalii White
  • Ferenc Tender
I've planted all but Ferenc Tender seeds, i'll plant them next month or in beginning of March. If i'll plant them.
11 per type.
I've treated seeds for 15 mins in a 3% bleach solution then i washed them very well in water before planting.
During that process i lost 1 seed of Trinidad Douglah and 3 of Chocoloate Bhut Jolokia (i suppose 2 of that lost seeds were too tiny anyway).

I've used plastic glasses with an hole:
ikbKlTjRsglnO.jpg

The soil, specific for seeds (here before planting):
iPgVihUluA5J0.jpg

• PH 6-7
  • C/N 25
  • 0,6 dS/m
  • organic ferthilizer
  • neutral peat 65% volume
  • organic carbon on dry content 35%
  • organic nitrogen on dry content 11%
  • fulvic and humc carbon on dry content 11%
hope the last 4 are translated accurately...

izNE2bzF7uUIp.jpg

So 62 plants in total. In a 60*100 cm table
  • I plan to grow them all by myself until i have to change the vase.
  • Then i keep 2 per type (12 in total) of them in a 2,4 L vase each (top external diameter 18 cm). It's ok for my table. The rest goes to friends and relatives.
  • Then 1 per type in a 15-20 L vase each and 1 per type in ground. Or all in vases, but probably half on ground. Of course the last vases will go outside, i have a nice spot of 15 m lenght along my house walls that is without wind and quite hot.
Room, that is heating room:
iba6wA08eSrdAi.jpg

That round thing in the left is warm... I've turned on radiator on right.

Here measured temps in center table:

iMr6TuzQdT2ux.jpg

Considering some parallax error is 27°C or little more (hoping that thing is accurate) which is 81°F
In the night will be lower but i think still above 20°C (68°F)
There's some natural light, hope that helps.
I have to do some funny things for the light, unfortunately at home have prohibited to use drying racks that would have been perfect.

I've a 60*3 watts LED light, nearly 10K lumens. I've found a good price and more than half was a birthday present from friends...

iuV6XP6OHYLEV.jpg

It's the round thing.
Well, no cats or dog allowed in growing room! Hope all goes well..

maximumcapsicum said:
Any movement on that piri piri? Bet you're putting that graphic card to good use!
Stil nothing. Waiting. ;)
For i vga have to check (but i told my cousin to call if there were issues :D).
Something is born on a moruga glass... But my dad told me he planted on some "not born glasses" some sunflowers...

Sprouts!!!

ibqQ2b2oPcXK8N.jpg

Ferenc Tender

ibzuCnU1xVAvSh.jpg

Sunflowers!

And here?
ih1qKaMKyV0fy.jpg

One is a sunflower, but other seems nearly a pepper!

ifjicSfPpQcTP.jpg

That seems a pepper! My dad doesn't remember if he planted a sunflower in that glass, but that seems a pepper (seems too much a coincidence... Besides it's nearly 60 days form start).

Sunflowers are amazing: my dad planted seeds directly in soil 2 days ago (let's say 2 days and half) and here's sprouts...
If only he used new glasses as i suggested...

Thanks!
Jeff H said:
I fell a little behind Essegi, but I'm all caught up now. Everything looks good. You are just about outgrowing that light of yours. Got a 2nd yet?
Not sure to have understood correctly...
At the moment i use the light only from 5 to 11 pm. The rest of day is quite bright in the room. And i'm thinking about repotting first round pants asap and starting to bathe with some natural light (the spot i used for my ovewintered 7pod is quite hot and repaired from wind). These days weather is good and hot (in 2 pm car thermometer went to 19°C that is good for early March).

Good weather today...
Repot time!
Of 10 plants i keep from first batch!

I used some soil my dad gave me... He said that he saw that soil in our hills where woods has been cut years ago...
Consistence and looking are great and there's low inpurity. I mixed that with soil used for starting seeds (more or less half and half).

Sunbathed while doing that, in the right the ones repotted:
ibbyuDB199s4UN.jpg

Repot!
iEf4BNFISmYXh.jpg

I was nearly forgetting to track plants type!

ibwKdxDmZrDRel.jpg

Pretty crowded...
And my dad decided to start 4 impomea violacea (at least i think this is the correct name).
I wasn't able to give away plant last week, i see if i'm able between today and tomorrow to gift 9 plants...

ibnPMBqky2E4v9.jpg

Margot assisting me while cooking! :D

No piri-piri yet.

You've got some very lovely pets and Margot is just beautiful. Oh, I almost forgot your peppers - they're nice too ;)

Thanks Devv and Nulle, next time i'll try to take a pic of Serpico (another cat that lives here :D).

Devv said:
Plants are looking good!

When can you put them in the garden?
I don't really know...
That winter here has been abnormallly hot. But in night it's too cold. Temps could still go down to 5°C/41 °F easily.
I plan to wait until min temps are 15°C/59°F. With that new pots i hope i can wait other 2 months... In the meanwhile i sunbathe them gradually.
The problem is that it's still possible that tems go down.
2013 had one of the colder springs ever here: March ahs been nearly normal... In middle end March returned cold. Then loads of rain, at the end of May during day was not hot and some morinig temps were 5°C/41°C or even lower... I've waited June...
I still plan to plant haf plants on bigger vases and other half on ground too see wich d better.

Call me crazy, but I have about 40 peppers and tomatoes in the dirt, was 44° for a low here this morning. They're all fine, but mature enough to set fruit, so I'm not worried about them slowing down any. My goal is production before we get the heat going on. We see 34-40°C starting in May, by July tomatoes are done as well as everything but peppers. Those if I choose will produce again in time for a November harvest. Hab's, and the Annuum's just chug all summer.

34-40°C in May it's crazy hot...
Exactly, that's why I push them in the spring. Our spring is short lived, too many times we go to hot too fast. Many suffer with the winter, and we have this year, only in regards to the garden. It got cold so fast we had problems with out winter grow. But our "bad" season is the 90-100 days of heat mid May- June to early September. That's when I'm outside at sun-up and done by 1PM the latest.

congrats on the Piri-Piri!

Where i live weather rarely reachs 40°C as max absolute temp.
But where i plan to put vases is near a wall in south and a bit repaired, temps should go very high. Maybe in full summer i move them to a colder place... But i'll consider that when i'll have to! :D
That night one more hook of Piri Piri and one more of Ferenc Tender!

Penny said:
Great updates and Margot is soooo cute ;)
Thanks! She was a little nasty one, now she is always escaping and complaining but now she's calmer than other 2 cats. She came here pregnant clearly abandoned and then when gave birth no one found kittens... She came here because we gave her to eat and and had mastitis,.. So we cured and adopted her. Too bad for kittens though...

Btw other 2 hooks of Piri Piri!
Something else:
i6VUvq6jKZm9W.jpg

Sunflowers:
ibkbwKDNWh8mXY.jpg

impomea violacea:
ib173ShPrPyYen.jpg

iMNxZzdHDUy9X.jpg

Back