• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2016: yellow ftw!

Ok, that year i thought: should i care about the hottest and meanest pods if the ones i like most are ones with not so extreme heat profiles? And since i miss so many classics i didn't bother with new crosses.
Yellow also are so good. 3 supers i have are all yellow (they just tastes better).

This time i try with Pepperlover. Nothing against Semillas that was my supplier and has been a great one, i just like to try different vendors. Here my seeds: 
TNcK1eV.jpg

Chinense: Yellow Bhut Jolokia, Yellow Trinidad Scorpion, Trinindad 7 Pod Original Yellow, Datil.
Pubescens: Locato (PI 387838)
Annuum: Wild Tepin, Stuffed Red Giant, Hot Beads, Hot Salsa.

Last 2 were freebies... I'm not sure what Hot Salsa is. Also Stuffed Red Giant is not hot but it looked epic so i'll grow that as non hot pepper.

Probably i'll grow at max 10 per type and the rest of seeds to 2 friends of mine. Except Locato that i've started today and used all seeds. First time with pubescens, so i took the easiest to grow. I'll start Chinense in a month more or less and after another various annuums.

I've also seeds of Yellow Cherry and some dried peppers from Thailand. I don't know if i'll just start for friends or if i'll keep some since i don't know if i have the usual place to plant or not. For sure that Thailand peppers are good, great taste and pretty hot:

Also, from 2015 peppers from Calabria are still alive:

Weather is very wet and a bit cold (temps went below 0°C on some nights), guess they'll die sooner or later but are keeping strong.

And this is Goat's Weed:

Maybe it will survive, it still looks very good.

I've given my Aji Amarillo plant to a friend that put it on ground with a specie of greenhouse, i hope it will survive.

Today i've started all Locato seeds, 16:

Random shot of Radicchio (Lusia and Verona):

Today also i've bottled some olives from my tree.
Not much but nearly all good... When harvested i've discarded just a tiny bit, today other 3, the rest were good.
I've bathed them with water change everyday for 55 days with a bit of salt on water.

Here also spices:

All dried: Bay tree leaves, garlic, Caramel Moruga, Yellow Cherry (or something really close), To dry garlic i've sliced it thin and used some salt, result has been good.
Also i use some oregano.

Here olives:

I tasted one, it was good, bitter has gone away (not that i expected otherwise, 55 days of washing are a lot).

I used standard salamoia, 90g of salt per 1 L of water. I've boiled 2 L of water, after turning off fire i've put salt and let it cool overnight and bottled that morning.

Just 4 jars:

Guess they'll be ready in 2 months.

Wonderful pics. I enjoy checking your log. Although, I must take note to only check it after I have eaten a full meal. Otherwise, I will end up hungry again ;)

Best wishes to you for this growing season!

stickman said:
I'm curious to see how your Locato does with morning and afternoon shade... I'd want it to have partial shade at mid-day and full sun the rest, but maybe your setup will be OK.

Nice pics!
Thanks!
That kind of light is especially for peppers planted on ground. Locato being on pot can be moved. I want to give some shade on hottest hours in mid of summer. In the north face of my home maybe. There's Sun in the morning and on late afternoon. and depending on position still some during the day... I must check better that.

Maligator said:
Wonderful pics. I enjoy checking your log. Although, I must take note to only check it after I have eaten a full meal. Otherwise, I will end up hungry again ;)

Best wishes to you for this growing season!
Thanks! :D

Sorry for being missing! I must check other glogs asap, hope all is well!

Here weather has been bad, cold and very rainy may, not hot and very rainy June...
In fact plants are really small. Some days ago i saw color on a hot salsa pod and i was happy... To discover it was rotten.
With that weather it's difficult to ripe pods. Yesterday there was sun and maybe has rained just a bit and today it's sunny (and thanks God, on the next hours i must help a friend to unload a truck with a kitchen...) and it's not the norm.

As i said i don't have my aunts place that year... Too bad because back of my home is less sunny.

From last update i bought also an Orange Habanero, a Naga Morich and a Yellow/Orange 7 pod.

PnGO835.jpg

General view, first row from left: orange habanero (so small... has some pods), Yellow Bhut (still small, has some pods), Yellow Scorpion (still small, has some pods).

FQNpXLh.jpg

Yellow bhut has some pods, not big but maybe still growing. Yellow/orange 7 is really small but has a really good pod (i guess this one reaches 10g).

e1ePOtK.jpg

From left: naga morich, hot beads (was tiny till may, luckily it decided to grow at some point), 2 hot salsa.

bUltBkE.jpg

Hot Salsa is spamming some nice pods!

ZxyYAtG.jpg

Locato is the only one that is growing well, full of pods (i believe around 40). But it seems that it lose it's might on sunny days. I should maybe put it on a more shady place (having been bad time it's on a sunny place, it's just on shade on late afternoon). Once i returned home and i found the potted lemon tree fell abobe Locato... How much wind there was that day? No damage luckily.

Apricot trees are doing well:
UuIxXYg.jpg

Now it's a year that are here and are producing a bit.

LBuJkgL.jpg

Random photo of a strawberry....

Tiny haul of today:
JLPdp7k.jpg

Big pod is an hot salsa, carrot sized.
2 small are mini yellow bhut (strange shape, but as you can see above others are fine), 1
Other is locato.
All unripe except the tiniest yellow bht that has some colour.

My first pubescens ever:
Hi8Oh39.jpg

Just unripe. Seems it already have some heat and a particular and nice taste. Can't wait to have a ripe one!

Apricots are nice, bit with all that rain not so strong taste... Hot salsa too, tased of grass.
Yellow bhut was excellent, nice taste, hot like a low profile superhot (and it's the heat profile that i like).

I've cut all except the "bigger" yellow bhut on gazpacho:
hloOcpX.jpg

Essegi said:
Sorry for being missing! I must check other glogs asap, hope all is well!

Here weather has been bad, cold and very rainy may, not hot and very rainy June...
In fact plants are really small. Some days ago i saw color on a hot salsa pod and i was happy... To discover it was rotten.
With that weather it's difficult to ripe pods. Yesterday there was sun and maybe has rained just a bit and today it's sunny (and thanks God, on the next hours i must help a friend to unload a truck with a kitchen...) and it's not the norm.

As i said i don't have my aunts place that year... Too bad because back of my home is less sunny.

From last update i bought also an Orange Habanero, a Naga Morich and a Yellow/Orange 7 pod.

PnGO835.jpg

General view, first row from left: orange habanero (so small... has some pods), Yellow Bhut (still small, has some pods), Yellow Scorpion (still small, has some pods).

FQNpXLh.jpg

Yellow bhut has some pods, not big but maybe still growing. Yellow/orange 7 is really small but has a really good pod (i guess this one reaches 10g).

e1ePOtK.jpg

From left: naga morich, hot beads (was tiny till may, luckily it decided to grow at some point), 2 hot salsa.

bUltBkE.jpg

Hot Salsa is spamming some nice pods!

ZxyYAtG.jpg

Locato is the only one that is growing well, full of pods (i believe around 40). But it seems that it lose it's might on sunny days. I should maybe put it on a more shady place (having been bad time it's on a sunny place, it's just on shade on late afternoon). Once i returned home and i found the potted lemon tree fell abobe Locato... How much wind there was that day? No damage luckily.

Apricot trees are doing well:
UuIxXYg.jpg

Now it's a year that are here and are producing a bit.

LBuJkgL.jpg

Random photo of a strawberry....

Tiny haul of today:
JLPdp7k.jpg

Big pod is an hot salsa, carrot sized.
2 small are mini yellow bhut (strange shape, but as you can see above others are fine), 1
Other is locato.
All unripe except the tiniest yellow bht that has some colour.

My first pubescens ever:
Hi8Oh39.jpg

Just unripe. Seems it already have some heat and a particular and nice taste. Can't wait to have a ripe one!

Apricots are nice, bit with all that rain not so strong taste... Hot salsa too, tased of grass.
Yellow bhut was excellent, nice taste, hot like a low profile superhot (and it's the heat profile that i like).

I've cut all except the "bigger" yellow bhut on gazpacho:
hloOcpX.jpg

Nice pics Giancarlo! Sorry to hear about your cool and rainy spring... it's been cool and dry here, but things are finally starting to warm up and the plants are picking up the pace of growth. Hopefully it'll do the same for you. The Locato looks great! I see that you're not running an irrigation line to it, and I wonder if maybe it's drying out too much in its pot during the intense mid-day sun. A trick I learned from some people who make Bonsai at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden... they put chunks of ice in the pot with their Bonsai on hot days to cool and slowly water the (already stressed) plants as the ice melts. It might be worth a try if the Locato doesn't like the shade when you move it. I planted the Squash and Onion seeds you sent in my Mom's vegetable garden since she has such good soil. They're all looking good so far, and I'm really looking forward to trying them when they ripen up... especially the Cucuzza gourd. I've never seen that one before, though I understand that some Italian-American families have been growing it here for some time. Apparently the name has drifted a bit here, and they call it "Gagootz"
     Lovin' the Gazpacho too... it's time for cold meals now that summer's here. I made an Israeli Couscous yesterday with cucumber, mint, the juice and zest of a lemon, Feta cheese and some good Sicilian extra virgin Olive oil.

Thanks guys!
Rick, that's a nice trick! Especially since forecasts says that this will be a really hot summer like last year (ok, technically we're still on spring, but till now just no). I don't believe it was drying too much... Maybe it just doesn't like intense heat. Btw, for sure i'll try a shady place too.
Can't wait to see onions and squashes! :D
Cous cous done like that sounds delicious, simple and with tastes i like. I must try that!
About feta i discovered that it's great diced to top pasta along diced tomatoes and pesto, eaten cold.

Hey, Giancarlo!  Looks like summer is in full swing in your neighborhood!

Nice garden - love the apricot trees...

PaulG said:
Hey, Giancarlo!  Looks like summer is in full swing in your neighborhood!

Nice garden - love the apricot trees...
Thanks! I tasted one from late variety and it's much better!
J7pX4pq.jpg

Sorry for the pic quality but the bigger one was excellent. It seemed nearly like an apricot cream.

FreeportBum said:
Looking good my friend. What's been cooking lately?

Cheers
Thanks!
Not much cooking sadly... I'm discovering quinoa, sometimes i eat it.
I went to restaurant some days ago with my parents and i had tagliata di tonno:
FQfuXJ6.jpg

Best tuna i ever had.

I had to move Locato on shade (with Sun on morning and late afternoon), now it's still suffering but at least it lives.
After that much rain temps went through the roof and increased by 10°C on 1 or 2 days, above 35°C for 2-3 days. Now they're lower and more normal.
2 days ago i've seen some colour on the only 7pod yellow orange pod so i hope to pikc up it soon. Faster than other chinense. I've had also 2 mini yellow bhuts...

This is a photo from a friend of mine of locato i've given to him:
iwYH4oc.jpg

I hope to have color soon too!

Essegi said:
Not much cooking sadly... I'm discovering quinoa, sometimes i eat it. 

Was that a bit of accidental humor? :P  I like to use Quinoa like I use rice. The Quinoa is a bit lighter and fluffier though... excellent for Pilaf, Tabouleh or for stuffing summer vegetables like Squash, Peppers or Tomatoes.

I went to restaurant some days ago with my parents and i had tagliata di tonno:
FQfuXJ6.jpg

Best tuna i ever had.

I just adore lightly seared Tuna... that looks fantastiic!

I had to move Locato on shade (with Sun on morning and late afternoon), now it's still suffering but at least it lives.
After that much rain temps went through the roof and increased by 10°C on 1 or 2 days, above 35°C for 2-3 days. Now they're lower and more normal.
2 days ago i've seen some colour on the only 7pod yellow orange pod so i hope to pikc up it soon. Faster than other chinense. I've had also 2 mini yellow bhuts...

This is a photo from a friend of mine of locato i give to him:
iwYH4oc.jpg

I hope to have color soon too!

Glad things have warmed up and dried out for you Giancarlo... here's hoping things color up for you soon!

Thanks Rick! Still no colour on Locato and it's losing many leaves... I try to find the right spot but it's clearly suffering... A pic next time.

After some mini pods along a nealy ripe mini orange habanero, here the first proper one:
IMGP1445.jpg

7 pod yellow/orange

Here a red bell:
IMGP1450.jpg

Some giant red stuffed:
IMGP1449.jpg

But won't get giant....

Other red giant stuffed:
IMGP1451.jpg

Color is so much different... Hardly the same thing...

Marzanini tomatoes:
IMGP1454.jpg

Simply amazing, badass plant, doesn't care about weather and just produces a lot of excellent tasting fruits.

Eggplants are doing good:
IMGP1455.jpg

Garlic is nice
IMGP1458.jpg

There are six bundles like that.

Of all those plants peppers are the ones doing the worst and i don't like that cause maybe i should eat only once in a while tomato and eggplant (still to understand) while peppers should just be fine.

Stole a shot of Margot:
IMGP1448.jpg

Whole rice (not cooked by me)!
IMGP1459.jpg

A bit cantonese like with omelette with onions, peppers, meat and carrots. I cut a bit of 7 pod yellow orange. I'll give some pieces of the pod to someone at work new at superhots to share the pain.
Btw i really like that rice, it's very solid.

You have a really nice variety of stuff growing in your garden, Giancarlo;
the Marzanini tomato looks like a real winner, and your rice dish, too.

Does Margot keep the rodents under control in your garden   ;)

Thanks again!
Rodents don't have easy time here since there are many cats.

IMGP1460.jpg

Hot salsa

IMGP1462.jpg

First proper yellow bhut has colour.

IMGP1464.jpg

Hot beads seems a great producer and its recover has been amazin. Just a branch here.

IMGP1461.jpg

Locato is suffering but with many pods!

Harvest:
IMGP1466.jpg

5 hot salsa, 3 locato, 1 Giant Red Stuffed, 1 small orange habanero

Locato:
IMGP1476.jpg

not fully ripe. Good pepper and quite hot, very juicy.

A good sauce:
IMGP1477.jpg

Just blended 4 hot salsa, 4 Turkish garlic cloves (that are huge), a bit of cucumber, 4 marzanini tomatoes, Asiago, Grana Padano, salt and evo.

Back