• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2016: yellow ftw!

Ok, that year i thought: should i care about the hottest and meanest pods if the ones i like most are ones with not so extreme heat profiles? And since i miss so many classics i didn't bother with new crosses.
Yellow also are so good. 3 supers i have are all yellow (they just tastes better).

This time i try with Pepperlover. Nothing against Semillas that was my supplier and has been a great one, i just like to try different vendors. Here my seeds: 
TNcK1eV.jpg

Chinense: Yellow Bhut Jolokia, Yellow Trinidad Scorpion, Trinindad 7 Pod Original Yellow, Datil.
Pubescens: Locato (PI 387838)
Annuum: Wild Tepin, Stuffed Red Giant, Hot Beads, Hot Salsa.

Last 2 were freebies... I'm not sure what Hot Salsa is. Also Stuffed Red Giant is not hot but it looked epic so i'll grow that as non hot pepper.

Probably i'll grow at max 10 per type and the rest of seeds to 2 friends of mine. Except Locato that i've started today and used all seeds. First time with pubescens, so i took the easiest to grow. I'll start Chinense in a month more or less and after another various annuums.

I've also seeds of Yellow Cherry and some dried peppers from Thailand. I don't know if i'll just start for friends or if i'll keep some since i don't know if i have the usual place to plant or not. For sure that Thailand peppers are good, great taste and pretty hot:

Also, from 2015 peppers from Calabria are still alive:

Weather is very wet and a bit cold (temps went below 0°C on some nights), guess they'll die sooner or later but are keeping strong.

And this is Goat's Weed:

Maybe it will survive, it still looks very good.

I've given my Aji Amarillo plant to a friend that put it on ground with a specie of greenhouse, i hope it will survive.

Today i've started all Locato seeds, 16:

Random shot of Radicchio (Lusia and Verona):

Today also i've bottled some olives from my tree.
Not much but nearly all good... When harvested i've discarded just a tiny bit, today other 3, the rest were good.
I've bathed them with water change everyday for 55 days with a bit of salt on water.

Here also spices:

All dried: Bay tree leaves, garlic, Caramel Moruga, Yellow Cherry (or something really close), To dry garlic i've sliced it thin and used some salt, result has been good.
Also i use some oregano.

Here olives:

I tasted one, it was good, bitter has gone away (not that i expected otherwise, 55 days of washing are a lot).

I used standard salamoia, 90g of salt per 1 L of water. I've boiled 2 L of water, after turning off fire i've put salt and let it cool overnight and bottled that morning.

Just 4 jars:

Guess they'll be ready in 2 months.

Wooow... Great looking pizza and great photos of your hikes. Envy? Hell yes I do envy you. Marked on my map of destinations when I go that way someday. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful country with us, Giancarlo!

We had a great time in Italy - saw too much too fast, but really
want to go back and explore off the beaten path in a couple of years.  
We want to live in Spain for 4 months in 2018; if that comes to pass,
a visit to your part of the world will definitely be in order!

By the way, I didn't see any pizza in Italy that looked as good as the
ones you make!

Thanks Paul.
Next year i want to dedicate much more to hiking and trekking (and if i am able some light alpinism next years, all if my foot don't get worse), Dolomites are some of the best places in the world for that...
For example, next year i want to go to Sorapis lake that looks incredible and it's easy to reach... But also there are some nice courses (of various difficulties) on Alpine Italian Club that i intend to attend...

Also i recently discovered that near here (70-80km) there's the longest italian stair and one of the biggest of the world: Calà del Sasso
It's incredible that no one, even here, knows it. It's really old (built around XV centry) and has some legend too. It's quite discomforting to see something like that absolutely ignored, i've seen that there are other long stairs in the world but nothing looks like this one.
I want to walk it asap.

PaulG said:

By the way, I didn't see any pizza in Italy that looked as good as the
ones you make!
Ha ha thanks, that's a really nice comment!
Glad that you enjoyed your time!

Btw now i have  a certificate of pizzaiolo, i wonder if i ever use it...

Also... Next season incomin, probably in 1-2 weeks i should start Rocoto!

Back