• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2017: at bare minimum

Hi all!
I've decided to open my glog that year too... I wasn't sure to open it since it will be an humble one, not many peppers, just the ones needed...
All seed from Semillas.

I've started 10 Rocoto Cap 363 on 1st january, because i managed to lose one, after a 2 days soak. Today i have my first sprout!
Other seeds i have to start (about 11 per type): 7pod primo orange, Avenir, Serrano and Zuzqua (whatever that is). I guess i start first and second on next weekend and the others in the first february weekend.

That's pretty much all for now, photos when there's something interesting to see.
I guess that year i'll post some pics of mountains and still some of pizza.

Now i go to hang my light, earlier than expected, i thought CAP 363 would have taken longer! :D

Thanks John, nice to see you!

That morning 2 Primo orange sprouts!

So far:

Rocoto Cap 363: 9/11
Avenir: 2/12
7 pod Primo orange: 2/11

NeedsWork said:
Pizza looks amazing.  We love using gritty whole grain flours.  It's something about the mush of the tomato and cheese contrasting crunch and grit of the crust.   :drooling:
Thanks! A full whole flour pizza is pretty hard to make. I like to mix with refined flour, usually a 10%. It adds a nice touch.

Thanks, Fabrizio, nice to see you too!
That summer i wanted to try running, never tried before, but for some problems it's better to avoid it for me... Until i can go to mountains i can live with that, though. :D That year i subscribed again to CAI, i've been a young member more than 20 years ago... They have some really interesting activities...

Today many pops!
6 Primo Orange and 1 Avenir!

Avenir: 3/12
7 Pod Primo orange: 8/11

Damn, i fear i need to give away some glasses before starting annuums... The problem is that this is like a death sentence for most plants, it would be much better to give away after first repot. I am ok with just 2 plants per type, maybe 3 of Cap 363 (1 on pot, 2 on ground)...

I am having much faster and better germ rates than ever, at last worth of a THP member, with Avenir still unknown. And i am doing the same things of last years... Maybe i am watering a bit more carefully, but not much, i wasn't careless before...

A note about my pizza oven: finally i have found a thicker stone for it because the default one was the worst part of it. Just ordered, i hope that this allows me to cook faster.

Yesterday at a friend place i cooked some chili.

5vHOSS.jpg

3kg of meat, on the right pan i added also 1kg of oven cooked bacon.
I bought tortillas since homemade piadine are really good but an hassle to prepare and strecht in that home. :D
Not much heat, i used some calabrese peppers so everyone could eat that.

Actual germ rates:

Avenir: 10/12
7pod primo orange :11/11

e709e8ed9a.jpg

Some pizza:
e7096bccb0.jpg

Used a bit too yeast lol.

e70987f809.jpg

e709ad2343.jpg

e709bd041d.jpg

Considered that i managed to break first 2 and ruined bottom of oven and that dough was pretty hard to work it's not that bad... It just could have been better.

I used some decent heat, i have some Don Joaquin Gourmet sauces that are surprisngly hot for a supermarket sauce.

When time allows we need to share Pizza secrets. The wife and I came up with a killer homemade sauce, and we use whole milk Mozzarella. But we are having trouble getting that perfect dough right with our really hard water.

Love the dough picture!

Thanks Scott!
I've read on a site that for hard water is better a long rising time.
If that's true you could try to work a full manitoba dough and ripe it on fridge for 2-3 days, better with 80-85% water if you can. Worth a try imho.
For my taste is better some whole flour or some less refined like 1 or 2 than full 00.

Btw another Avenir hook tonight!

Avenir: 11/12
7 Pod Primo orange: 11/11

To be honest there are a couple of peppers that are doomed, leaves haven't been able to exit from seed.
Also a friend asked me to start some seeds for him... I must find a place for that!

Essegi said:
Actual germ rates:

Some pizza:Used a bit too yeast lol.

Considered that i managed to break first 2 and ruined bottom of oven and that dough was pretty hard to work it's not that bad... It just could have been better.

I used some decent heat, i have some Don Joaquin Gourmet sauces that are surprisngly hot for a supermarket sauce.

Hi Giancarlo! Glad to see you're keeping your hand in both the kitchen and the garden. Good luck with your grow this year.

Thanks Rick!

Cap 363 really want to grow. They started to get worse so i had to repot. I've used small pots, maybe i'm repotting again before definitive place. I've repot 7 out of 9 because 2 haven't grown much.
I must give away 4 of those 7. I must plant 1 on back of home, 1 on front and 1 on pot. About smallest 2 maybe i'll give to a friend of mine along a good one.
The one with worst leaves has the best bud:
iC86ZT.jpg

Best roots:
TSTxvt.jpg

Some are still fine though:
VOTe5O.jpg

yAjclU.jpg

I have to start other seeds on that weekend... I must do something!

That weekend hike with CAI guys has been really fun!
QGF3fm.jpg

This is a sight of Lagorai mountain chain from Val Formica in Asiago.

fo47zP.jpg

Weather was fine going up....

XZ4lK8.jpg

Cima Mandriolo, 2049 m.
It started to snow just before reaching the peak.

While returning there was snow indeed:
TL21lx.jpg

stickman said:
They're all nice pics Giancarlo... and quite a contrast of green and white. ;)  Here's hoping those Pubes do well for you this year. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rick, i'm worried for Pubes. They are fine until now but i fear i'll get no peppers from that... I'll keep 3 plants, 1 on back, 1 on front and 1 on pot... We'll see...

I've given away 4 rocotos cap 363, 2 Avenir and 2 Primos orange... I've killed a plant that had still no leaves and give up on 3 seed that aren't germinated...

Then on monday i started 11 Serrano and 11 Zuzqua (whatever that is). Also an unidentified number of a pepper for a friend of mine...

Iaae95.jpg

I must give away something else asap, i've to repot soon Chinense.

A rocoto has a nice flower:
uJe2Zo.jpg

That time i manged to finish 4444 step stair...

di2AZu.jpg

No snow but steps were mostly wet and really slippery.

8QWwog.jpg

At the end there was some snow and while ascending it was easier that without...

6ry16x.jpg

Arrived! I think that this is a must to walk at least once for someone born here... I must check on summer with different greenery.
Also we manage to lose a cell phone and find it.

Hey Rick!
That year there has been really litlle snow around here.

New peppers are kicking in!

1ZMJnI.jpg

5 Serrano and 3 Zuzuqa! Plus one of my friend...

I tried to bake a gluten free pizza, the problem is that i didn't use a premade mix and i didn't found a suitable thickner that is pretty much needed. I just used rice flour, corn and potato starch instead flour.

KhQGEN.jpg

o5mCPB.jpg

D2GTKl.jpg

It could be worse, but far from good...
I made other 2 that i brought next day with me for other hikers... A normal pizza isn't that great 20 hours after cooking... Nor those things... People said that this was good but, screw it, next time i'm cooking chili.

nhJWj0.jpg

This is Val Venegia, Mount Mulaz on right, Marmolada left on background...

aYl6ii.jpg

From left to right: Cima dei Bureloni, Vezzana, Cimon della Pala. This last one is one of the most iconic mountains.

Beautiful pics of the Italian Alps! Do you get many days like that in the spring? I don't know how easy it is to find out your way, but we often use xanthan gum here as a thickener when baking gluten-free. Chile or Macaroni and cheese would be my dish of choice when hiking in the mountains. :drooling:  Cheers!

Fantastic pics Giancarlo!

My cousin has a company here in the US that sells gluten-free pizza dough. I've never tried it though. Glad I can tolerate gluten foodies, I tried a gluten free diet just to do it. Not a fan!

Thanks guys!
stickman said:
Beautiful pics of the Italian Alps! Do you get many days like that in the spring? I don't know how easy it is to find out your way, but we often use xanthan gum here as a thickener when baking gluten-free. Chile or Macaroni and cheese would be my dish of choice when hiking in the mountains. :drooling: Cheers!
Weather is indeed changing! On spring last year there was quite some rain... Then stopped and there was droguth... Not good for plants...
You got it right with xanthan gum but i didn't find it in time. Dough was really bad to work.
I think chili will be great since it's best the day after cooking. :D

Devv said:
Fantastic pics Giancarlo!

My cousin has a company here in the US that sells gluten-free pizza dough. I've never tried it though. Glad I can tolerate gluten foodies, I tried a gluten free diet just to do it. Not a fan!
Yeah, for gluten free i've tried only mine and i agree ;)

Thanks guys!

So final germ rates:
Serrano: 9/11
Zuzqua: 6/11

To be honest i could have waited more for Serrano and Zuzqua (i trashed not germs 10 days ago or so) also i had finished the soil for start seeds so i had to rig things up.

And i've just repot again (2nd time) Cap 363 that are growing... And last Avenir...

mBdL8i.jpg

I wanted to repot them in smaller pots but it was an hassle to use a pot just a bit bigger.
So i took "next" size available: to around 2 liters that i wanted to 6,5... Specific soil for peppers wasn't enough so i had to throw in some generic one... I guess it won't be a problem.

So half hour ago i started an aggressive campaign with friends and colleagues to give away the one i don't need (i keep just one more avenir, primo orange and serrano for a relative to give them to him ready to plant on ground). :rofl:
Rocotos have many flower.
OqnwfK.jpg

In those pictures rocotos are a bit out of shape... Maybe it's too hot. In the morning when it's colder they look better and really good.

4IxB5O.jpg

On left biggest serrano, on right bigget zuzqua and i'm pretty sure that serrano was born first. I believe that Zuzqua will be a big plant maybe with big pods.

Ok, so for the hike i made chili:
QJ9r71.jpg

2kg meat, nearly 1 kg onion, 1kg pepper, 4 big carrots, celery, some broth, 1kg or more tomato, 1,25kg beans, spices (cumin, paprika, turmeric, cilantro, black pepper) a bit of heat (calabrese peppers). It was something in the middle of chili, gulash, random stew and ragù...
So in the morning of the next day (yesterday) i put on plastic container probably more than 6kg... We were on 26 and people really liked that. So much that girls demanded recipe while guys kept interrupting my explanations to tell me that it was good... When i finished the third explanation it was all nearly gone and i was lucky to find some just to taste how was that... It was a bit wet when i ended to cook and luckily it hasn't solidifyed so consistence was good even if it was cold.
Of course i told all that they have been lucky that it wasn't august or heat level would have been different! :D

Random pic of the day:
XF6C6D.jpg

Mount Verena. We didn't go for the peak but instructors gave us command of the route... In my group i was the one with the compass so i had to tell direction and soon we lost the way... :rofl:
We had to go up off trail in fresh snow inside the wood to reach the correct way.
Then descending we spent a couple of hours to simulate an avalanche rescue and it was interesting.
Since there was no danger we descended inside wood with steep off trails with fresh snow, it was so cool.
Next 2 week we should make a 2 days hike in Lagorai, i don't know where exactly but it should be really cool...

tsurrie said:
What a nice set of pictures. Makes me wanna go to a mountain or two... I see you're pretty active and that's a good thing. Nothing better for the soul than a fit body. Enjoy the nature my friend. And those peppers. The nature in a pot!
Thanks! Rocotos are fine, i just have to see if i'll see some pods...
Those days i'm not that much active during week btw.. :P

Datil said:
Peppers, pizza, mountains... i'm in heaven :D

All looking great!

Fabrizio - Datil

Thanks! That time chili, as i suspected while pizza is worst the day after chili is great so best suited for trekking, as Rick said!

Trident chilli said:
Your peppers, pizza and mountains .... the three best parts of Italy today ... great photography Giancarlo keep the pictures coming
Thanks, i was in doubt to keep posting pictures since they are heavy OT, glad that are appreciated. :D

Back