• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Exotic Tomatoe????

Sorry no suitable pics.

We got a tomato sampler at the local mega mart which contained one very interesting tomato.

It was about 4 times the size of a cherry tomato, a little larger than a golf ball.

It was black or a very deep purple, with veining that I associate with an heirloom variety.

The name on the package was "exotic".....

I can't find anything by googling that looks anything like it. It was darker and purpler than anything I can find.

In a commercially produced variety pack like that, is it likely that it is a hybrid?

I have seeds started.

cheezydemon said:
Sorry no suitable pics.

We got a tomato sampler at the local mega mart which contained one very interesting tomato.

It was about 4 times the size of a cherry tomato, a little larger than a golf ball.

It was black or a very deep purple, with veining that I associate with an heirloom variety.

The name on the package was "exotic".....

I can't find anything by googling that looks anything like it. It was darker and purpler than anything I can find.

In a commercially produced variety pack like that, is it likely that it is a hybrid?

I have seeds started.

They are so many black tomatoes.
My guess would be Eva Purple Ball, if it is then it's OP.

Most black tomatoes are OP.In fact I don't know any Hybrid black tomatoes.

Never tried it but starting seedlings for this summer.
I love the shape, size and color of Eva purple ball and wanted a "BIG" cherry tomato.

It tasted like a cross between a tomato and a grape, but it had the firmest flesh I have ever seen in a tomato. Eva Purple Bell eh? I will google it. Thanks!

edit: the only pics I could find were ripe red ones. I am not sur if this one was ripe or not, but it had veins, and by that I mean skiny wedges of color running from top to bottom, barely visible. Would a ripe one lose such details?

Could be a Cherokee Purple. Maybe a Black Krim or Black Zebra.
Without a pic hard to guess. Not a hybrid though.
Check tomatogrowers.com there's lots of pics.
I also have a pretty big variety of tomatos to if interested in some of those seeds. I'm always up for a trade.

Thanks AL C. I actually am not too picky on tomatoes. I just came across these and they were different than anyting I had ever tasted. I really liked them. I will look on that site! thanks.

Must be the photography, I've been growing them for years, and they're a pretty classic red tomato.

The thing is, this didn't strike me as an unripe tomato from the taste.

Do all purple or black toms ripen to red or yellow or something other than purple or black? To be fair, the flesh did seem unripe as far as texture.

Ciao Cheesy-

Did your tomatoes look anything like the small black one in the 1 lb tomato medly photo here?

http://www.sunsetproduce.com/

I've seen these tomatoes in our groceries up here and the small black one does have stripes. I personally don't know of any small salad-sized black tomatoes with stripes. Black Zebra is much larger, usually between 10-14 oz. I'm very keen to see what you get when you grow that one out. Keep us all posted!

Ciao Sorellina!

I did not find purple ones on that link, but the site seemed to be having problems when I clicked on it.

I am beginning to think that it may have been unripe. It sure was cool!

The zebra striping was barely visible because it was such a black purple. I have 2 plants growing! Maybe I will have pics when it produces later this year.

Back