• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Facebook

This is from The Australian 27 May 2010 (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...d-in-your-face/story-e6frg6z6-1225871756725):

In 2004 Zuckerberg, a nerdy misfit on campus, was building what was then called the TheFacebook.com in his Harvard room.

He was explaining to a friend he was compiling a database of Harvard students.

"I have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses," Zuckerberg wrote. His friend replied: "What? How'd you manage that one?" Zuckerberg: "People just submitted it. I don't know why. They 'trust me'," adding: "Dumb f . . ks."

It was perhaps a joke but "dumb f . . ks" is a telling description that portrays the arrogance that is a characteristic of the new kings of new media. They are the corporate captains who distil the citizenry into an algorithm and take little or no responsibility for the social consequences of the product they have created. (...)

"Facebook has also shown a complete disregard for users' privacy recently," he said. "If you are not aware . . . Mark Zuckerberg after breaking up with his girlfriend developed a website of all the photos from the Harvard yearbook so he and his mates could rank the girls according to their looks; an auspicious start for Facebook."

And what about when law enforcement legitimately want to access information regarding criminal activity? Particularly thse not in the US?

Gaughan [Australian Federal Poilce Assistant Commissioner] called for Facebook to introduce a dedicated local law liaison in this country - an idea Facebook has resisted in the past - as well as a "report abuse" button on each profile page and age-verification software to prevent under-13s becoming members.

"We're certainly seeing instances of stalking and grooming people for sexual activity. We are seeing instances where illegal content is being shared among users as well," Gaughan told ABC radio.

A North Sydney man, who wants to be known only as Barry, tells The Australian of his frustration when he attempted to get help from Facebook proving the identity of the person he believes has stalked him for 18 years and sent death threats to his friends and family.

Barry believes the stalker used the contacts on his Facebook page (which he has since shut down) and that a check by the organisation would confirm it.

When he contacted Facebook head office he was told the request had to come from the police. When a NSW detective contacted Facebook with the same request, however, he was told the company would not act without a court order.

"I am increasingly frustrated with Facebook's lack of care about my situation, and the fact they refused the NSW Police's request shows what little regard they have for people's personal safety," Barry says.

Cyber safety expert and vice-president of i-SAFE in Australia Rod Nockles says it can take local law enforcement agencies 18 months or more to gain access to information from companies with US headquarters such as Facebook by following the cumbersome Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty, and he says there is a need to harmonise legislation "across various jurisdictions".

A question of those who are quitting fb:

Are you deactivating or deleting?

Apparently there is a difference, the former retains all your info on fb, the latter deletes all info -- after 2 weeks. And if you visit in that 2 week period, you have to restart the deletion process over.

Also, fb apparently don't make the deletion button easy to find. Something you need to search through the faq's for rather than being in account settings.

Yeah i had to search for it Ringa, i went with option 2. Delete after 14 days, why they can't do it instantly i don't know. (well i do but yeah)

Yeah, FB is mostly useless crap. I guess it has come in handy getting back in touch with a couple folks though. But having hot chick friends that like to post summer beach pics... hmmm... yeah, I'll stick it out a little longer... even if they usually insist on making that duckbill/smoochy-smoochy face in all of em :lol:

paulky_2000 said:
New Facebook slogan:

Facebook--- Reminding you why you hadn't kept up with those psychos from highschool.

(I'm trademarking that one...)

Yep, that's the main reason why I don't go on there. There's a lot of people that I'd rather not be in contact with. It's bad enough that I have to run into so many of them here in town, I see no reason why I'd want to subject myself to them online and run into them worldwide. UGH!

ring sting said:
Lastly, the argument 'If you've nothing to hide, then why worry' does not wash with me. I have nothing to hide, but I see no reason that others should be able to delve into my history to see if I have nothing to hide. After all, we are presumed innocent until proven guilty -- a tenet of most western democracies.

Amen brother...

That's why I hate the Patriot Act/Fisa bill

I am on Facebook too, mainly to keep in touch with relatives and friends. I seldom do a lot of posting and I don't get into the drama. I actually don't spend much time on FB especially since the garden is planted, just too busy with plants, graduations, family reunions, no end in sight. I think it's a good tool and I keep my privacy settings to friends only. So far I have had no problems with Facebook.

im trying my hardest to think of a good thing to say about facebook and, hmmmmm, hmmmmm, hmmmmm, hmmmmm, no its still a pile of &%^#)^&*%$@)(&, and more. Anyone got a good name that we can re brand this low down site, shitfaced?

im trying my hardest to think of a good thing to say about facebook and, hmmmmm, hmmmmm, hmmmmm, hmmmmm, no its still a pile of &%^#)^&*%$@)(&, and more. Anyone got a good name that we can re brand this low down site, shitfaced?

I just ignore all the facebook apps, and use facebook as a tool for finding friends and family. I believe its an incredibly great tool when used for the right purposes

I'm with potawie, once you block all the stupid games (dunno why folk use them) and use it for what it is then it's ok.
I can't believe how much info some folk seem at ease to expose to the world, amazes me no end, as for the groups I keep them to a minimum as well and regularly thin them out to the ones I still use.
Anyway things could be worse it could be twitter!!!!!!

I am keeping in touch with my godchild who has cancer becuase of facebook. It is the most useful support tool her family has. I have found friends I have not seen in a decade because of facebook. My son blocked the ads, I dsont do apps or games, and I dont use this giant grafitti wall as a diary. Corporate marketing and facebook are tools. marketing keeps a heck of a lot of folk employed. It makes large scale retailing work, which keeps me employed. My physical mailbox and my virtual one are filled with too many ads. Grant ya that. but then, I've learned about some pretty cool stuff that way, too.

Photos of you passed out stupid can show up anywhere, anytime, even if you are not on facebook. I ignore or block anyone I dont want to see.And yep, we should keep policing facebook, to keep em as honest as we can. welcome to the global community. or not, your choice.

I got talked into joining a while back, February or March I think. Haven't been back since.

Prayers for the Godchild Celeste.

There are a lot of pepper folks over there. I even had a question from a totally city gal yesterday, asked if there actually was a ghost pepper. No it's not that she will ever grow them but word must be traveling huh? I was surprised she had heard of them.

Back