• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fade's 2012 Glog

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

Bahamian Goat
Douglah
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pod Jonah
De Arbol
Nagabon
Orange Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Chocolate Fatali
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Bhut
Orange Scotch Bonnet
Goat Weed

FTB back in the game... BOOM! Coming along nicely, brother!

The sun is gaining intensity here too. You got two choices... put 'em out and let 'em wilt or don't give 'em any sun at all. :lol: Methinks it's time I start looking into shadecloth this season. Has painting your pots white helped?

You also mentioned somewhere that you spray your plants regularly with neem. Are you still doing that? That could be making the wilt worse. :think:

It might have been roaches eating your leaves. Something was nibbling at my seedlings leaves not long ago and I couldn't figure it out at first. One night I opened my grow closet and there was one of the bastages sitting on one of my seedlings. He go squish now.

Wow............Gi-Normous! Leaves....with nice heathly new growth!

Thanks Greg!

FTB back in the game... BOOM! Coming along nicely, brother!

The sun is gaining intensity here too. You got two choices... put 'em out and let 'em wilt or don't give 'em any sun at all. :lol: Methinks it's time I start looking into shadecloth this season. Has painting your pots white helped?

You also mentioned somewhere that you spray your plants regularly with neem. Are you still doing that? That could be making the wilt worse. :think:

It might have been roaches eating your leaves. Something was nibbling at my seedlings leaves not long ago and I couldn't figure it out at first. One night I opened my grow closet and there was one of the bastages sitting on one of my seedlings. He go squish now.

Thanks Gasificada!

Only the douglah's kinda wilt in the midday sun but they bounce right back when it cools off.
I'm trying to let them collect as much energy as possible to try and speed up the growth.
I stopped with the neem a few weeks ago bucause there are no more signs of white flies.
I have started spraying them with a combination of epsom salt and calcium this week since they started flowering.
Also the painted pots and mulch help alot with temps and water retention. It rained last weekend and I havenet had to water yet.
And thats with them getting 10 hours of direct tropical sun a day :)

I just leave mine out too. Can't be bothered anymore! Same story, some get the wilts but they bounce back.

Get onto seaweed if you're not already using it. That helps with stress resistance. Worm juice too if you can get it. And I've started experimenting with silica this season. I've been watering with micronised diatomaceous earth and foliar feeding with Potassium Silicate. It's too early to tell just how effective/beneficial the increased levels of silica are but I have yet to see any sunscald this season for one. I don't know though if that is a result of the silica or not. The sun we are getting here now is usually enough to scald.

I am seriously considering painting my pots white too. There have been times I have gone to pick up a pot and it has felt like touching hot tar. I somehow can't imagine my plants appreciating sitting in that!

I am seriously considering painting my pots white too. There have been times I have gone to pick up a pot and it has felt like touching hot tar. I somehow can't imagine my plants appreciating sitting in that!

Gas bro that only happens in logan... :) I actually got home from a week working down at tweed and yea ipswich weather is killing my chilli experiment I swear I lost 300L over a week which is unusual I'll have to check for leaks in the morning.

Well it looks like I cant do anything to prevent mites when they decide to infest a plant.
Even with regular spraying with organic pesticides they show up eventually.
My three goat plants are stunted and doing nothing anymore and most of my yellow scorps are getting hit hard.
And to top it off the douglahs which are untouched and look healthy just keep dropping blossoms.

I decided to nuke all effected plants today with malathion as a last resort.
Every time I grow peppers i have this nightmare with mites. Its so depressing and discouraging.

Infected
20120925_172349.jpg

20120925_172402.jpg

20120925_172424.jpg

Healthy Douglas wont set fruit.
20120925_172410.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Mites are a pain......sometimes the organic process just won't work. Since your plants aren't fruiting I'd use a stronger product. The powder will work, I prefer to use a spray type to hit under the leaves also...
Get rid of them early and the plants will finish strong. As far as the Douglahs, find some shade for a couple days. The plants will still get strong ambient light, especially where you're located, and the plnats will get a chance to produce flowers. Another measure is to use blossom set on the flowers early in the morning. It works great on tomato blossoms when the heat is consistantly over 90 deg.
Good luck and don't get dispared, the plants will rebound...

Greg

Back