• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fake Pepper X seeds missing

I get what you're saying, AJ, and I don't think you're wrong at all, but I think that the original grower-- the one who developed the strain-- night be understandably miffed of someone is selling their Strain under whatever name they'd been developing it under, before it was officially released & stable. Jumping the gun on such things can be bad for the strain's rep, and it will absolutely eff with the original grower's development plans, as he won't have any control over other growers' selections, so his/her final product will be markedly different than other "bootleg" versions of his/her Strain floating around out there. I guess anyone who is seriously trying to cross and/or select for a strain that is important to them ought not share seeds/pods or even publicize much, if they want to maximize control over the strain's ultimate characteristics...

I guess I am thinking in a perfect world the reputation of the grower and his strain is not tarnished because folk know it is not their final product.  But ye, the Chocolate Bhutlah drives it home.  Most people have no clue who invented it or what the letters behind the name mean.  So even being fully honest wouldnt prevent the harm.  Very good point.

AJ, it is a horrible thing to have something you created to have taken from you. Back in 1996, I sat down with pencil, paper and protractor, and designed a laser sight for the m203 grenade launcher. I maxed out the credit cards and purchased the machining equipment to make it into a reality. It was tested at Fort Campbell. I didn't have the funds to patent it, but it worked. Obtained all the FFL licensing (derg international) you can look it up. Well, to make a long story short:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2005/09/army-orders-more-day-night-sights-from-insight-technology.html

7.6 million, another company based in Israel sold units to our Navy. I still have the original designs.

So yes, its hurts to the designer when the work goes elsewhere. I keep my designs on paper these days, I totally sympathize with Primo. Cheers!

AJ Drew said:
I guess I am thinking in a perfect world the reputation of the grower and his strain is not tarnished because folk know it is not their final product.  But ye, the Chocolate Bhutlah drives it home.  Most people have no clue who invented it or what the letters behind the name mean.  So even being fully honest wouldnt prevent the harm.  Very good point.
My friend Chad crossed a chocolate bhut and a douglah.  steven grew some of the seeds out and then crossed it with a trinidad scorpion he says.  There are several variations of the bhutlah that i have from chad, jack and steven.   Bhutlah Cheesehead is one.  Bhutlah SM another.  Bhutlah CS Bhutlah JC  they are abbreviations for peoples names.  Not that complicated to figure out.  Ed Currie was given seeds and grew it out for a few years in large numbers before seeds were sold.  You also have Bhutlah PL and this dave minor guy claims to have his own version too.  That pepper got hyped up and blown out before anyone got to grow it really.  

Jedi, again I do see the point.  On chocolate bhutlah, I think it is a bit different.  Chocolate is a color.  Bhutlah is a name invented to describe a cross, parts of each word.  Its not an original name like Big Black Mama. 

Story Time - Wifes car bit the dust at a financially horrible time.  I bought her a used truck: Lincoln Explorer.  She is thrilled because it is so damn fancy.  Heated seats that actually work.  I got a fantastic deal from a used car dealer by telling him I will be honest with him and hope he will be honest with me.  Didnt lie or exaggerate how much we needed a good deal.  After buying it, we have essentially sold two additional cars for him by recommending him to others.

My Thing - Your input and the input from others is invaluable because I think being an ethical seed dealer will win the most and best customers over the long haul.  Making huge claims, pretending things are stable they are not, not giving credit where it is due, those things I think kill your business in the end.  You might have noticed I ask tons of questions about naming convention.  I want to get things right.  So thank you.

BTW: So far this has caused me to be blessed in more than just improving sales every year.  I have a couple seed developers that have asked me to help them grow things out.  I have promised not to sell their seeds, just have fun with them and they trusted me.  I am flattered.  I get to grow things much earlier than most.  Heck, maybe he will never market the seeds and I will be one of the only people to have ever grown or tasted it.  Now that is cool.

I've gone on a witch hunt from time to time on ebay, because people sell literally fake seeds.  For example, they'll sell "carnivorous plant seeds" and the picture will just show a plastic statue of a Pirhana Plant from Super Mario.

Link for reference:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Insect-Catching-Plant-Enchantress-Carnivorous-Pot-Bonsai-Seeds-80-SEEDS/282377543758?hash=item41bf03604e:g:6GQAAOSwK7FWhWgd

Of course, a lot of these fakes (including blue roses and blue japanese maple) come from China most often.  This is actually the first link I've seen where it's a seller in PA.

Either way, I hate these, they're ripping off people, and I report as needed.

i sell and buy on Ebay.  I sell mainly for promotion and to further get the name Peppers by Mail out there.  I buy mainly craft supplies mainly from China.  Crystals / minerals have always been right on the money.  Just got a kazllion glass pepper beads I am going to do something with and gift them in pepper orders this summer.  Nothing great or anything.  Got the idea from Salsalady who sent me some Mardi Gras beads with an order.  Just little somethings to make people smile.

In other niches, oh damn I have gotten ripped off.  Wife says the clothing she has bought off Ebay is never as described.  Halloween costumes, same thing.

I think for some reasons, some niches are filled with scammers.  Others not so much.  From what I hear people saying, the seed business ( not just pepper seeds ) is one of the ones filled with scammers.  I dont have enough experience there to have a clue.  I have bought a few that turned out good and a few that have not.

From what I gather, Duffy is pretty much the Slugworth of the pepper world. 

So who's the Wonka?

On the Original topic, I think that after the whole FBI farce, Ed Curry claiming to have "had pods stolen from his secret paddock location" (I'd barely notice if someone tooka couple of pods from my humble Pepper Patch, so how in the world does he notice a few missing from an entire bloody paddock?!?!) and the whole shemozzle, everyone is too scared to sell fakes. You look at the Carolina Reaper, from what I gather Curry was threatening to sue asses left and right because they were selling his product, months, years, after it had been released. So could you imagine his wrath if one dared to sell his unreleased-uncomfirmed WR holder-top secret-money maker-unofficially named- Pepper X?

In other news, one week today until I pull the plug on Pepper X. if Curry doesn't make an official announcement before then, the whole thing is a stitch up, I reckon.

ThatBlondGuy - On noticing the pods missing, I -THINK- what happened was the site that claimed to have the secret code to buy Pepper X seeds had a photo of some pods.  They were sitting on top of a box addressed to Mr. Duffy.  I -THINK- the thing was a practical joke intent on yanking at Mr Curry's chains.  I dont think Mr. Curry noticed pods missing, I think he assumed that someone had stolen them because he saw the photo.  Not really sure.  Tried to figure it out after the FBI reviewer said something about the FBI wanting to talk to him.

Now for the funny.  Obviously they weren't Pepper X, but seems even Mr. Curry thought they were from the photos.  I think they were green moruga, but what ever they were I am sure someone in China is getting ready to offer them as Pepper X.

D3monic said:
not even clicking that asshats video but I assume he puked and made an ass of himself. 

Unfortunately not, he just ate it and declared that it is no where near the hottest in the world.

I wonder though if what he, and the other people he refers to, actually did get sent Pepper X pods? I mean, whats to prove that they are pepper X, and not Green Morugas or something? What he ate is not the hottest, but who says he ate Pepper X?

Back