• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fastest growing pepper?

Hey hey everyone! How has everyone been? I just had a curious question....Out of all the peppers on our heat filled planet which ones do you think are the fastest growing and highest pod yielding? Heat does not matter in this. Cheers everyone!

Tabasco's gotta be up in the top 10%

Most of the large podded anuums like Aconcagua, and numex/anaheims grow big and quick for me, also most cayenne types. The whippet's tail seems to grow quicker than anything else for me but not the best flavor in my opinion. Also the super chilli hybrid is a major producer which is difficult to beat.

the super chili is a great variety...I just wish the plants got bigger...my biggest plant for the past three years has been less than 2' tall but the production was amazing...

In my garden, tabasco peppers are the fastest growing and most productive plants.

Of my chinense varieties, the red devil's tongue was the fastest and most productive.

AlabamaJack said:
the super chili is a great variety...I just wish the plants got bigger...my biggest plant for the past three years has been less than 2' tall but the production was amazing...

I ran out of space last year and planted super chili's in think red clay mud in partial shade. I still had strong production even though they grew less than a foot. They are my favorite chili to cook with and I cook with them at least three times a week. They are perfect for stir fry.

fast growing chilli

Thanks for all of you responses in regard to this...Im in a bit of a pickle in regard to my plants....I somehow over fertilised and all my plants that were ready for 'scorpion blood' production have dropped their flowers and leaves....it was also in the fertilisers dissolve rate that mucked me up slow release that was super fast. So im looking for some fast growers that may save my season....over 250 plants have been hammered....live and learn.

Scorpion said:
all my plants that were ready for 'scorpion blood' production have dropped their flowers and leaves....

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :(
I'm very sorry to hear this Dave. I was hoping to get a hold of some again.
I hope you can find some good, quick growers so you at least have some heat of your own.

In my humble opinion, the Bih Jolokia.

I sliced up a frozen pod today for my lunch of nachos.

10 hours later I still feel like I've got something in my throat trying to climb out to the light! I think it sprouted 2 minutes after I ate it.

I just hope it doesn't try that upside down grow thing, I got to wear a suit tomorrow!!!!

Yes that does suck the big one Dave, have you thought about buying chillis in? May be too expensive but it is the perfect time of year to be searching for farmed pods. Good luck mate.

Scorpion said:
Thanks for all of you responses in regard to this...Im in a bit of a pickle in regard to my plants....I somehow over fertilised and all my plants that were ready for 'scorpion blood' production have dropped their flowers and leaves....it was also in the fertilisers dissolve rate that mucked me up slow release that was super fast. So im looking for some fast growers that may save my season....over 250 plants have been hammered....live and learn.

Bloody hell, mate.
Is there still time to grow stuff this year in your area before the season ends?
Not sure how long it would take to get there, but if you want some red devil's tongue seeds, shoot me a pm and I'll get them to you post haste.

SeeYouJimmy said:
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :(
I'm very sorry to hear this Dave. I was hoping to get a hold of some again.
I hope you can find some good, quick growers so you at least have some heat of your own.

Yeah its madness....I'll have some product...but not a heap....ive got a couple of festivals in Fremantle and sydney to prepare for so its a bummer the 'blood' has so much chilli in it. Not to worry tho. Cheers for your help mate...ill put a couple aside for you tho.

Skydiver said:
Bloody hell, mate.
Is there still time to grow stuff this year in your area before the season ends?
Not sure how long it would take to get there, but if you want some red devil's tongue seeds, shoot me a pm and I'll get them to you post haste.

Cheers that would be great mate...ill fling you a pm and see how we go.

Novacastrian said:
Yes that does suck the big one Dave, have you thought about buying chillis in? May be too expensive but it is the perfect time of year to be searching for farmed pods. Good luck mate.

Its just getting them in our dam state....i have spent heaps getting stuff to the border then its turned around and its sent back.. i will tho do what you suggest and talk with the locals and see what comes up. It so shits me....I'll never believe slow release again lol!

Back