• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fatalii smackdown

Here is my fatalli tray and my best so far. Happy with the way these are looking so early in the game.
IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

Cappy, you and AJ are way ahead of me. And I planted on the 4th. These seedlings just don't like the cool temperatures I keep here. (OK - I'm cheap) At least at my slow pace they won't outgrow any containers before they go outside in April.

Very healthy and great looking Fataliis Cappy

I would say Cappy is way in the lead right now and it is going to be hard to catch him...

never too late Cheezy or anyone else that wants to join...IMO

There is plenty of time to catch up. I can only keep my plants under the MH light for another week then another tray will take it's place. Good starts I agree, but these will be potted up and forced to survive in a south facing window and will slow considerably. I might take my best two Fatalli and keep them under the light just for comparision sake.

My fataliis are the sloest growing of all that has sprouted for me so far. My habs are doing well as are a couple others, so i don't even care so much. If i can't grow them, i know a farm that sells them very close to me. If you can't beat em, eat em. 'Hell with it. ;)

great shots btw everyone.

i'll be upgrading my lighting this weekend. i figured out a better setup than what i have. should've done it from day 1 though. boo. lol

Crud!! AJ you may have caught a break. My light crashed and burned and landed on my largest Chocolate Fatalii, now it's leaves are all droopy and sad. Crud crud crud! I've got back ups so don't be taking it easy ole timer.:P

fineexampl said:
My fataliis are the sloest growing of all that has sprouted for me so far. My habs are doing well as are a couple others, so i don't even care so much. If i can't grow them, i know a farm that sells them very close to me. If you can't beat em, eat em. 'Hell with it. ;)

great shots btw everyone.

i'll be upgrading my lighting this weekend. i figured out a better setup than what i have. should've done it from day 1 though. boo. lol

Where is this magical farm?!

patrick said:
Crud!! AJ you may have caught a break. My light crashed and burned and landed on my largest Chocolate Fatalii, now it's leaves are all droopy and sad. Crud crud crud! I've got back ups so don't be taking it easy ole timer.:P

Dang Patrick...I hate that...don't trash it...it will bounce back...once they start growing, it is hard to kill them...

taking it easy...heck, I'm just getting ready to hit them with their first steroid shot... ;)

Roll up, roll up for the mystery tour.
Roll up, roll up for the mystery tour.
Roll up AND THAT'S AN INVITATION, roll up for the mystery tour.
Roll up TO MAKE A RESERVATION, roll up for the mystery tour.
The magical mystery tour is waiting to take you away,
Waiting to take you away

sorry gents...couldn't stand it...

It is amazing the size of PRF plants in the matter of three weeks under metal halide lighting. They are super looking healthy plants.

I started mine on the tenth of January, all eight seeds (courtesy of a forum member) sprouted in less than 9 days at 80degrees F. Culled 4 already. Under high-output CFL's at 10K lumens, here is my best looking one so far.

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg
IMG_3123.jpg

High-hopes for this one (going to keep and grow only 2). Goal is to get the plant 4 feet tall here in Philly. Going to go pick-up some FoxFarm Big Grow tomorrow and give all my plants their first shot of some grow juice:D.

Pete

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
There is plenty of time to catch up. I can only keep my plants under the MH light for another week then another tray will take it's place. Good starts I agree, but these will be potted up and forced to survive in a south facing window and will slow considerably. I might take my best two Fatalli and keep them under the light just for comparision sake.

Hey Cappy, - What did you use as a seed starter mix? The Pro-Mix BX? Also, did you post on another thread that you keep the lights on 24/7? Thanks for any info!

Yes to both your questions Tony. The difference is that my light has 40,000 lumens where as an average floro tube is 2,700 lumens x 2. Here is the question I ask. I have seen plants turn purple with what some call too much light under floro lighting, then why are my plants green under the excessive lighting. Maybe the purple is caused from the wrong wave lenght of light and not too much light after all. Just a thought.

you know Cappy, I think you could be right with the wave length idea...I seem to remember something about that...

I just found this...says purple leaves can be caused by cold damage or phosphorus deficiency, Low temperatures prevent phosphorous uptake...

by the way, this is a pretty good trouble shooter for plants...

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/hg57_000.pdf

Pam said:
The extension service web sites are great! Cornell and the Aggie pages are good, too.

Agreed and I rely on them heavily...

Fatalli all potted up getting their first peek of sunshine. Had to get them out of the seed tray because roots growing out the bottom. Beautiful day outside.
IMG_2087.jpg

they look happy Cappy...

it is a gorgeous day here today too...supposed to be 72 or so...cold front coming in tomorrow night that will bring it back down to the 50s/30s

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Yes to both your questions Tony. The difference is that my light has 40,000 lumens where as an average floro tube is 2,700 lumens x 2. Here is the question I ask. I have seen plants turn purple with what some call too much light under floro lighting, then why are my plants green under the excessive lighting. Maybe the purple is caused from the wrong wave lenght of light and not too much light after all. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info Cappy! - I think I'm going to start some more seeds directly in Pro-Mix and see what happens. Your plants are spectacular so far and I think it's more than just the great light.

Back