• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fatalii smackdown

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Fatalli all potted up getting their first peek of sunshine. Had to get them out of the seed tray because roots growing out the bottom. Beautiful day outside.
IMG_2087.jpg

they look outstanding dude ;)

all of them.. nice compact very green.. good job..

are you keeping them by the window now ?

Thanks guys, they will now be getting as much natural sunlight as possible. They can still go back in the grow room as needed on overcast days and at night. Will just give them what they need plus a little TLC. I prefer my plants to receive natural light at this stage of their life and to settle in to their new homes.

Not really a part of the smackdown.... but here is a picture of the 7-pot which I started on the first day of the contest. It sits on my front balcony which is why the leaves are all growing in one direction.

100_5562_640x426.jpg

dreamboat

What is that white stuff everywhere?

*goes outside wearing nothing but shorts and grabs phone charger out the car*

Damn, this 77 degree weather here in Texas is rough I tell ya!

Here are my Fataliis...from seeds very generously sent me by hotpepper member PDreadie. I planted them January 18th. They germinated January 25th. I re-potted them yesterday (January 31st)...

IMG_1739.jpg

and the biggest one:
IMG_1742-1.jpg

How am I doing? :lol:

My fatalii is going Sh*t house.......

It is still struggling to get it's first set of leaves up...I have it under some pretty old grow lights and I think they need replacing.

I am trying to hold out until my grow box is biult and some 400W 6400's fluro's are in place.....

Sheldon the fun has just begun. The easy part germinating the seed now you have to raise your children. Be careful watering you soil looks heavy in the pics. Dreamboat the 7 Pod really likes the front porch, happy the seed made it to Australia from a pod in my back yard. The mother of mothers 7 Pod plant is still alive and flowering should be a monster in 2009.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Sheldon the fun has just begun. The easy part germinating the seed now you have to raise your children. Be careful watering you soil looks heavy in the pics. Dreamboat the 7 Pod really likes the front porch, happy the seed made it to Australia from a pod in my back yard. The mother of mothers 7 Pod plant is still alive and flowering should be a monster in 2009.

Ah...germination is the easy part. I thought the hard part was past. :lol: I probably overdid the watering because they looked so wilty and death-like when I transplanted them yesterday. I will definitely go easy moving forward. Thanks for the advice.

New question...how tall/big do they get? And is it possible to keep them around the 2 foot mark, by snipping off new growth? If I did that...in an effort to keep them from taking over my garden, would it encourage more blossoms and fruit...or the opposite?

Anyone ever do that with any peppers?

I think Fatalii's get about middling tall. Hm, a quick look at Chileplants.com says they get 30 to 36 inches tall.

I've never tried to prune my peppers. They tend to bush anyway, so I just let them go. I don't know if apical dominance is very strong in peppers or not. Where's Potawie? I bet he can shed some light on this.

PrairieChilihead said:
New question...how tall/big do they get? And is it possible to keep them around the 2 foot mark, by snipping off new growth? If I did that...in an effort to keep them from taking over my garden, would it encourage more blossoms and fruit...or the opposite?

Anyone ever do that with any peppers?

Every time. I always FIM or top my plants to increase node and flower production. The Fataliis respond very well to this method of pruning.

Pam said:
I think Fatalii's get about middling tall. Hm, a quick look at Chileplants.com says they get 30 to 36 inches tall.

I've never tried to prune my peppers. They tend to bush anyway, so I just let them go. I don't know if apical dominance is very strong in peppers or not. Where's Potawie? I bet he can shed some light on this.

Apical dominance is not relavant in pepper species. If anything, they tend to grow much like many vines do! Especially your Chinense varieties.

Pepper-Guru said:
Every time. I always FIM or top my plants to increase node and flower production. The Fataliis respond very well to this method of pruning.

Ah, FIMming....how that gives me flashbacks. :lol:

Such an interesting technique too which can achieve pretty crazy results if done properly. Never tried it on peppers, will have to experiment.

You should post a guide with pics & results Guru!

Pam said:
What does FIM stand for?

"F*ck I Missed" Refers to topping a plant but not doing so cleanly, leaving some tissue at the node. This can result with multiple tops forming instead of just 2 new ones. Pretty neat to see when it works, ending up with like 5+ growth tips.

Txclosetgrower said:
Ah, FIMming....how that gives me flashbacks. :lol:

Such an interesting technique too which can achieve pretty crazy results if done properly. Never tried it on peppers, will have to experiment.

You should post a guide with pics & results Guru!

Just might have to do that TX! Let's just hope the Fataliis
appreciate all the pinchin and snippin this year!! It will have to be special to catch up with some of the fellas here:shocked:

Fataliis 02-03-09

First and Second row from left are regular
fataliis

Third row from left is Red Fatalii

Fourth row from left is Chocolate Fatalii

Fifth and Sixth rows from left are regular Fataliis

Fatalii02-03-09.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
Fataliis 02-03-09

First and Second row from left are regular
fataliis

Third row from left is Red Fatalii

Fourth row from left is Chocolate Fatalii

Fifth and Sixth rows from left are regular Fataliis

(IMG)

Oh, well, mine haven't even sprouted. :rolleyes:

I have two up as of now, both looking small and not wanting to really grow a whole lot. Should I start giving them some fert to kick them along? They are in good soil, but just dont want to do much.

These dudes are too cold even though they are in the warmest room in the house.
A pic from today.
graphi1731.jpg

Oh and a little Pogostemon Cablin plant. Those things really grow slow.

heck ABM...those look healthy man...

Yay for me! The fatalli that i planted on the 7th of jan died, but the one i planted on the 13th has now come up :) It looks like its been up for a couple of days so thats about a germ time of 20 days.

Im back in!!

Back