• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermenting dried chillies?

Googled to find out if its possible to do a chilli ferment using dried chillies but couldent find a answer. Does anyone know if its possible to do?

carpboy, first off I'd like to welcome you to the THP! It's a great place to hang out but even better when your active.

I've never tried it but that's not to say it won't work. The only way to really know is to do it, well go get some store bought dried chili's and give it a shot. I wouldn't risk your good super hots on an expieriment. Oh, for what-its-worth, I'd reconstitute the peppers in warm water till they're fully rehydrated before starting the fermentation. Also, I'd add some fresh ingredients like some Onion, Carrots and Garlic as well.

If you do this be sure to take pics and post up your procedures. Alot of us will be sure and follow your progress.

Cheers,
RM

Thanks for the answer. The reason i asked if my freezer is getting full and i have a dehydrator that i could use to dry the chillies ,before i make some fermentated chilli mash later on using fresh onion carrots and garlic.

Welcome, carpboy.

I don't have a whole lot of experience specifically with fermenting chillis, but I agree with Rocketman and Potawie's suggestions. It seems feasible. There are Fermented Vegetable Starters that can be purchased (at least over here) at health food stores. Or use one of the other starters mentioned in the Fermenting 101 thread.

good luck and have fun!

If you have frozen pods just ferment them. I have done that several times and it works just fine.

+1 Potawie, using a starter, whey from a live cultrued yogurt is my favorite and is very easy to do.

use a white oak whiskey barrel
add sea salt in distilled water to preserve it
add vitamin C to naturally break down the peppers

let it sit 5-7 years in a cool dry area

and you will have tobasco quality pepper mash

Googled to find out if its possible to do a chilli ferment using dried chillies but couldent find a answer. Does anyone know if its possible to do?

I would say that using dehydrated peppers is "possible" it will just be a lot more work.

Dehydrating them will eliminate two of the most important ingredients in lactofermentation... WATER, & Lactobaccilis.

You could counter that by reconstituting them, and adding some form of lacto-starter OR other ingredients that will still have a natural inoculation of lactobaccilis.

KAT

Sure you could,...absolutely... why not even use dehydrated onion and garlic..........higher concentration of taste, less akaline volume, easier to keep the acidity lower. ( Extremely helpful for those making a vinegar based hot sauce)

Greg

But don't you want liquid/brine. I think using fresh or frozen pods would be much simpler, you wouldn't have to re-hydrate and starters wouldn't neccessarily be needed. I also wouldn't used dry onion or garlic, try to use fresh ingredients and skip the re-constituting

I destemed and washed all of my dried pods today which included some Guajillos, Birds Beak, and Habs. If it starts I have some frozen Habajolokias and some 7 pots I will add. I am going to the store here in a bit to pick up some onion and carrott. I'll add that with a clove or two of garlic. Ill make a mash and use saurkraut juice to start it. I'll take some pics here later. I guess we will know here in a few days.

All is done and its in its primary. I did forget to add garlic though. It came out really really thick, which is understandable due to the nature of dried pods and the pods that I used. I went heavy on the carrot and onion in hopes that it will assist fermentation. If it starts to gas up I will let you all know.

All is done and its in its primary. I did forget to add garlic though. It came out really really thick, which is understandable due to the nature of dried pods and the pods that I used. I went heavy on the carrot and onion in hopes that it will assist fermentation. If it starts to gas up I will let you all know.

DUDE!!!!!

Where are the Pics?? They're required you know!

No Pics,

Say it with me THP,

Didn't Happen!!!

:cool:

Back