• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Hi all,   

First post here but I´ll dive right in since it was this thread + a combination of other sources that made me do my first pepper fermentation experience and I really please with it.

I am from Portugal and bbq charcoal grilled meats and fish restaurants are all over the place.

There is this hot chili oil that is the joined secret from all these restaurants that you can´t find a recipe anywhere.
I tried offering money for recipes without success, it seems it is the business secret everywhere, but I heard, unwantingly, that the sauce was fermented so I started the journey.

So this is what I´ve done with some great results and really resembles the chilly oil from the restaurants, only better since I could do some adaptations to fit my personal taste.

The pepper we use in Portugal for everything is “Malagueta”, also known as gindungo, maguita-tuá-tuá, ndongo, nedungo or piri-piri.
Same family as Tabasco (Capsicum frutescens ) but different variety.

My recipe:

150 grams of Malaguetas (I keep a bit of the green bell, discard the rest)
1 small red pepper (about 150 grams)
5% sea salt
1 unsugared Greek yogurt strained through a cloth to get the starter.

Mash everything, add the starter, mix well and put the mash in a French coffee machine like this.

french_press.jpg

The good thing about this is that you can push the filter down so that some liquid always covers the mash, so no oxygen is present.

I know that I should have left it for longer but was impatient, and removed it after 2 weeks.

Removed the mash and put everything in a metallic bowl and added the following:
(The more oil you add, the less fiery it will be so add on your personal taste)

0.5 liters peanut oil
0.25 liters virgin olive oil
0.25 liter of sunflower oil that was heated up with some garlic, dried ginger and some other spices
A tea spoon of honey
A shot glass of Brandy
A shot glass of Whiskey
2 tea spoons of sundried tomato paste.

Mix well in the bowl and let that sit, covered in the fridge for about 2 more weeks.
The oil gets this beautiful reddish color and the taste is amazing with grilled or roast meat.

Put the mash mix and oil in sterilized glass containers.

I´d appreciate being pointed out any mistakes I might be doing here in terms of harmful bacteria.

:cheers:

I made coffee daily with it until a couple a years back.
Glad it found a new purpose.

If I were to make large quantities I would probably use plastic bottles and a vacuum machine.

Put the mash + starter in the sterilized plastic bottle, and remove all air with a vacuum machine and tightly cap it.
The bottle would crush within itself and would create an oxygen free environment.

Once the released CO2 starts, it would have enough room as the bottle expands.

Not sure if there is issues with fermenting in plastic though.

I used ziplock bags w/ glass beads to weight down the mash and had to throw arway one of the ferments because it smelled like decomosed plastic.  It was only really noticeable in the ghost pepper mash that sat for 4 months.  I'll never again use plastic in a ferment.

Hi all!

It's really great to have found so many people that share my passion for peppers and food in general. I'm not one to chime in often, I just like to read and acquire as much info from all the knowledgeable folks here. With that being said, I have been fermenting all sorts of veggies for a few years now. Everything from cukes, tomatoes, cabbage (sauerkraut), carrots, etc, etc. However, I've never tried peppers. So, approximately two weeks ago I decided to give peppers a try. Based on my experience with other veggies I followed the same principal for peppers. I did not add any starter or water to my mash. All I did was throw a bunch (about 2 lbs total) of Caribbean Reds, Orange Habs, Red Jalapenos and 1 large Sweet Red Bell pepper (for the extra sugar content) into a blender, along with 2% pickling salt,  gave it a 15 second whirl, packed the mash into a half gallon jar, covered loosely and placed it on top of my fridge. I followed the same principals I use for fermenting cabbage. I didn't weigh it down though (don't know why I didn't). To prevent mold and yeast growth I mixed this mash every few hours for about 4 days. On the fifth day I noticed the fermentation process taking shape. Lots of bubbles, mash rising to the top of the jar, liquid on the bottom of the jar. I would continue mixing everything together every few hours for approximately 10 days, at which point the bubbling and liquid separation drastically subsided. I am at 16 days of total fermentation now and all seems to be going according to plan. The aroma is very tantalizing (as it should be with a proper ferment). With this mixing process I never developed any yeast or mold growth. I did not use any air locks or any other equipment aside from a loosely covered jar. I have pics but don't know how to upload them (wish I could share). As of now, I am not really mixing it any longer since everything is submerged in the liquid. Just going to let it sit there for 2-3 more months and see what type of flavors develop naturally.

Welcome to the forum and good luck w/ your ferment.  You should also post on the "Welcome" thread and give an official hello!

Welcome to THP, there's a thread all about how to post pictures, on my phone or I'd give you a link, you should give a read. The mash sounds really good.

RocketMan said:
Welcome to THP, there's a thread all about how to post pictures, on my phone or I'd give you a link, you should give a read. The mash sounds really good.
I guess I'll have to read up on posting pics. Hopefully that mash will turn out ok. Keeping my fingers crossed.
RocketMan said:

Ok figured out how to upload

After 16 days, very little bubbling, as the pic indicates.

First off,thanks for all the great ideas that have come from this site.Had a good first year grow and am playing with powders and sauces this winter.Also getting into fermenting.I have airlocks on the way,please go ahead and laugh when ya see the gloves on my jars. View attachment 9364
        The sauce is my first batch of ferment i am cooking.Its amazing the smell when its been fermented.I see how tabasco gets that. View attachment 9365 View attachment 9366 View attachment 9367
       I had plenty left over,put it in an empty Vodka bottle and I hope this will cool it down quick. :P  View attachment 9368
      Made these Bratsworth on Saturday and subbed my  red scorpion powder instead of white pepper,think my coworkers will notice? View attachment 9363
       One more thing,don't use blackberries unless you want a very purple sauce.LOL

The gloves r a great idea! Wish I had some of your brats now
Next batch I'm putting condoms on my jars (unlubricated ofcourse)

Lucifer said:
The gloves r a great idea! Wish I had some of your brats now
Next batch I'm putting condoms on my jars (unlubricated ofcourse)

The sauce is super  hot,not as hot as most on here.For my friends in this area,I need to teach them how to walk before they can run.
       for the mash:
      64red scorps
     22choc,ghost
     24 yellow scorps
     22 orange habs
     2TBS sea salt 
     1TBS sugar
     1TBS whey
    1tsp lemon juice

After ferment take above combine with proccessed below
    20oz pineapple chunks
    20oz peaches
2tbs roasted garlic
2tbs sea salt
1/4cup honey
1/2cup redwine viniger
1/2cup white vineger
1med onion
1tbs allspice
2cups tomato juice
2cups pineapple juice
1cup orange juice 

I just read all the responses in this thread.I admit I skipped pages before starting my mash.I realized that Pablo and RocketMan are like that seen in Platoon,were Sheen says he is torn between 2 fathers.lol  I made a mistake of using canned fruits in a couple mashes.Learned to use fresh product in all things you do.RM I have started sourdough starter and cant wait till its finished.Salsalady thanks for all your work. View attachment 9461 View attachment 9462

Nice additions to the thread Lucifer and burntends!  Welcome to the fray :)

Why boil after it has fermented? Is this purely a textural thing?  Cooking it will kill all the benficial bacteria.

I am new to this and believe from what I can gather from the fine folks on this sight,cooking is an insurance policy.If I did not do it correctly you could hurt someone. ;)

If things go bad with a ferment I don't believe cooking will fix it.  Usually as long as your ferment doesn't have nasties like mold on it and it smells ok you are good to go.  I could see cooking it to thicken it up a bit though. IDK, so far parusing this website every one seems to boil it after.

Yes, cooking the sauce kills the beneficial bacteria and this has been the argument for the longest. When you think of sauce you need to think of something like spaghetti sauce as the boss likes to point out, it's cooked. Uncooked it's salsa, blended to a purée or not, it's salsa.

Here's the deal, for some sauce makers fermenting is about getting the Ph down with out using a butt load of vinegar not the probiotics. Cooking it makes it all into a soft mush that will blend into the consistency we're looking for.

Mind you there's no wrong answer and it's all good eats :)

RocketMan said:
Yes, cooking the sauce kills the beneficial bacteria and this has been the argument for the longest. When you think of sauce you need to think of something like spaghetti sauce as the boss likes to point out, it's cooked. Uncooked it's salsa, blended to a purée or not, it's salsa.

Here's the deal, for some sauce makers fermenting is about getting the Ph down with out using a butt load of vinegar not the probiotics. Cooking it makes it all into a soft mush that will blend into the consistency we're looking for.

Mind you there's no wrong answer and it's all good eats :)
Makes sense. Guess I'll try it both ways and see what I like best.

I finally got down to work. I have read all the post and related articles.

Jalapeños 26oz 
Marine salt 2% 
Secure water
Starter Lactobacillus
Additional: Aple and garlic

2014-02-21%252016.29.58.jpg

Fresh Jalapeños.

2014-02-21%252018.09.59.jpg

cut in half and remove seeds

2014-02-21%252018.43.13.jpg

Mash

2014-02-21%252018.49.56.jpg

761 grams in cero tare (26oz)

2014-02-21%252018.55.59.jpg

Marine salt

2014-02-21%252019.04.25.jpg

The lactobacillus. This facilitated me what my neighbor owned a cheese factory. Yogurt very poor be here and perhaps gelatin be added milk essence or something similar. No separate serum 24h, even adding lemon.

2014-02-21%252019.06.26.jpg

Apple juice and garlic

2014-02-21%252019.27.41.jpg

2014-02-21%252019.28.45.jpg

I mix everything in bowl, add 200cc of water. put on top jars loose. sprinkle a little salt over the puree. Saved in closet.

2014-02-21%252019.10.17.jpg

After 20 hours of making, still no bubbles in sight... maybe be too liquid puree?

Back