• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

I picked them up from local grocery store for $16.95 USD and so far everything seems to be right on schedule. These 3 were just dry capsule dump, 2 per gallon container. I'll be starting another one soon and this one I'm going to do a starter for it and see if I get a faster start.

I used starter. Milk whey obtained in a cheese factory. They gave me a bit of serum obtained on pure milk curd. My starter began in two and a half days

I'm thinking for a starter about using filtered water with either fructose or Agave Nectar or using a diluted V8 juice. Give it 24 to 48 hours befor pitching to a mash.

If you look at the label you'll see a lot of strains in there. Any of them will do but if you do select only 1 strain make sure you continue to use that one as using others may or may not, cause differences in the flavor of the sauce. 

Man, go with what you want and can afford to use. I actually picked these up primarily because they were the cheapest at the store and secondly because I liked all the strains in it.

10 days ago I started a new ferment. This time the starter was sourdough. 

today I do not see activity bubbles, the mash has not risen to the surface. It has spread but stays in the background. Darker coloration in mash, generates doubts me 

Any recommendations?? 

I go ahead or not worth it?

2014-04-01%252010.20.08.jpg

2014-04-01%252010.18.35.jpg

Smell it, does it smell bad? By the looks of it,.it doesn't look too appealing. I think that if it hasn't started to ferment after 10 days it probably won't. That's just my opinion. Something must have gone wrong

I have not opened the lid to smell. Inside the cupboard, no bad smell. I did not want to remove the cover not to leak co2 and spoil ferment.

Ultimately wait a few more days and I will open bottle. You think that has not begun the starter?

In my experience, fermention usually takes about 5 days to start without any starter, 2 days with a starter. 10 days seems like a like a long time to not have even started to ferment.

OK ... So tomorrow I will open the bottle and I'll see how it smells. 

If it smells good, maybe will do the test with serum. Otherwise go to waste

Not understand much, but I finally understand the question. 

sourdough dissolved in water. and this mixture added to the wort. 

I have used sourdough baker my friend used to make breads. Probably not be compatible yeasts to ferment peppers. 

leftover sourdough was left resting time and increase 4 times its volume. No failure to understand here ...

Ok, using the whole sourdough starter explains the cloudiness of the mash. I'd let it go for the rest of the time you have planned for it and not open it. The CO2 layer is intact and protecting the mash from nasties so you should be safe. Usually only the hooch portion of the Sourdough starter is used to start the fermentation process. It's the watery clearish portion of the starter when it's set for a while and separated. Take a look at the first entry and there are some pics of it.

Ok, utilizando toda la masa de arranque se explica la opacidad de la mezcla. Me gustaría que se vaya para el resto del tiempo se han planeado para ti y no abrirlo. El CO2 capa está intacto y la protección de los combinaciones de sorpresas desagradables por lo que debe ser seguro. Por lo general, sólo el hooch para enseñarnos lo parte de la masa de arranque se utiliza para iniciar el proceso de fermentación. Se trata de la parte acuosa clearish del motor de arranque cuando se ajusta por un tiempo y separados. Echa un vistazo a la primera entrada y hay algunas fotos de ella.

Cheers

RM
Do you think there is a CO2 layer there if the fermentation hasn't even started yet? Where would it come from?

Fails then another 80 days or longer working. lost by lost, I keep going to see what happens. 

I dissolved a piece of sourdough in water and have applied directly to mash. 
Maybe there was a failure here. I have not left standing hooch, maybe that has something to do.

Here my sourdough. given a block of dough and I've cut a small piece.

2014-03-22%252016.37.18.jpg

In this state it has been applied to the mash

2014-03-22%252016.40.05.jpg

There's going to be some. It may not be at a very high level or may have just enough to force some of the air out but there will be some. I think what's happened here is, he used some of the whole sourdough starter not the hooch and it's created a delayed action on the part of the lacto bacteria. When you have a separated out sourdough starter you have the flour part on the bottom where the yeast are going to be and the watery part on top where the lactobacillus are going to be concentrated. Even in brewing the first thing the yeast do is to reproduce enough yeast cells to handle the amount of sugars in the wort or in wine making the must. This is whats going on now in his mash but, he also has some yeast in there and they're fighting for control. What I think the outcome will be is his mash will complete fermentation as the lacto increase and the yeast go dormant. This will happen because there are enough sugars for the lacto to go for but not the yeast and there is a lack or O2 in there for the yeast to reproduce. There might even develop a yeast on the surface like a Kahm yeast but it wont be much.

JMHO though :)

EDIT: from the Fermentation 101, first entry: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/#entry476940

3. Sourdough Starter. Some like to use the hooch from a sourdough starter. This is the method I use. As with the Whey method the hooch is added to the mash and there is less of a salt requirement. Fermentation can be seen starting within a couple of hours. I like this method best as I don’t have to buy a tub of yogurt each time I want to start some peppers and I get to enjoy some of the best homemade bread around. I have included a very simple recipe for making a sourdough starter that can be used within 2 weeks to start some pepper fermenting or making bread.

Hooch

clip_image004.jpg

Back