• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Bumper said:
It sounds like you blended two different sauces together.  Tomato and pineapple don't immediately go together in my mind, it may be this that is making it a bit odd? Cider vinegar also brings its own flavour which could be competing with the lime?

Could be, but I only used two small tomatoes and like five cherry tomatoes....they were mainly added to reduce pH
Total amount of cider vinegar was actually only 1/3 cup, I put the wrong amount above...

and this happened after a few days RocketMan!

2vi37ec.jpg

Question: I made my mash and put an airlock right away. After few days i got kham yeast on top. M y Question is :

1. What depends of quantity and quality of kham yeast (circumstances )????
2. What if i put airlock on top and dont let the air go in, and then i get mold on top of mash. I have to open jar to remove it ??? Then i will let oxygen in .???
HELLLLLPPPPP

ColdSmoke said:

Made sometning very similar to this yesterday after I saw this recipe. I had an eight oz jar of fermented ghosts, reapers, habs and fatalii in my fridge for like seven months. The top half of the peppers were a little discolored from the lid not being air tight but I wanted them to keep fermenting to I didn't seal it all the way. The peppers smelled great. So basically this ferment was six weeks in the cupboard and seven months in the fridge. I then made it into a concentrate mixing it with four cloves garlic, half sweet onion, one lime squeezed, fresh garden tomatoes, I put all these in the smoker for an hour before they went on the stove top (no smoke flavor detected final product :( ). Then, mixed with 2/3 cups cider vinegar and and a cup and a half water, tsp kosher salt, tbs brown sugar. Peeled the tomatoes after 20 minutes of simmer (all members of household had runny nose at this point). Total cook time was 45 minutes. I added a teaspoon of pectic while cooled and then blended....That's the concentrate; it sat in the fridge for two days. I wanted to use this for my sauce but it was waaaay too hot. 

To finish the sauce I used:
1 medium pineapple
2 large red bell peppers
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup lime juice from concentrate for pH
17oz coconut water

I cooked all these ingredients for 25 minutes, cooled and blended. Mixed with concentrate and added 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar for pH, simmered for 20 minutes. 

This sauce is still wicked hot and very unique, but the pepper combo is just a little bit weird. I think the ghost peppers are throwing the flavor off a bit. 

This sauce has really improved over that last month. It's incredible! I think the funny taste I was experiencing is just the taste of long fermented peppers. 

Fellas.. i want to try fementing sauce but wanna roast garlic and onion or pepper. What can be negative cosequences when im roasting ??

Hi Mate.  If you roast all the ingredients before you ferment you'll likely kill all the good bacteria that is supposed to do the work on your ferment.  I'd suggest ferment the peppers on their own raw, then maybe mix in some roasted onion and/or garlic after.  Information from Rocketman and Chilimonsta along with many others here at THP have helped me a lot along the way.  I encourage you to search them - your knowledge will grow exponentially.  :)

QUESTION: IM WORKING ON MY OWN OLD FASHION FERMENTER( SIMILAR SYSTEM FOR VINE). IF I DONT PUT SOM RUBBER BETWEEN LID AND THE JAR, WHAT CAN BE CONSEQUENCES, IS IT NECCESARY? 

CAN YOU RECCOMEND SOME BALL MASON JAR WITH AIRLOCK THAT IS NOT TOO EXPENSIVE??

THANK YOU:)

thank you,,,it is a problem cause im from cratia and here we have different measures thus a different mason jars and different lids, and it is not very often that someone fermenting vegetable so is not many locations on which i can buy things like mason jars with airlock :(

a little sugestion :) do not put onions in too big ratio with peppers,,taste weird,,it is thich, hot ,, but weird :)

Question : im in doubt should i mash my pappers in food mill before fermentation or chop it on smaller piesec and then put something for weight ??

GImme your pros and cons , + and - sides,,judgeing to your experience,so  i can easily deacide ??? Im doing third fermentation and every time i mash it in food mill till now :)

thanks guys :)

I usually put mine through a food processor or blender before fermentation then after fermentation I use the food mill.
1. fermentation breaks down the walls between the pulp and the skin.
2. whatever capsaisin still on the seeds will come off more while fermenting.
3. because of #1 when you put it through the food mill you will get more chile in your sauce.

GUYS:

In which situation is more likely to get mold ??

1. Situation when i mash my chillies in food procesor ,add salt and lemon juice for ph and put it in jar and cover with cheesecloth or..
2. Sitution when i chop my peppers and submerge it in brine and i put it in jar with airlock ??

matew90 said:
GUYS:

In which situation is more likely to get mold ??

1. Situation when i mash my chillies in food procesor ,add salt and lemon juice for ph and put it in jar and cover with cheesecloth or..
2. Sitution when i chop my peppers and submerge it in brine and i put it in jar with airlock ??

Cheese cloth is more likely to get mold.

I use a gallon ball jar with a slide on lid in the store in canning section I guess it would be use to store flour or other dry things.

Started this ferment Aug. 31st. The plan is to open on Halloween. White habanero, white bells, garlic, onion, mango. It was very active for the first week or so but is now slowing down. It also was giving off amazing smells that are not there now. After the activity stops, how much more fermenting continues? I know some of you ferment for months.

image.jpg

Back