• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fire in a box!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepperjoe's isn't all bad.

The "Fire in a box" is just a gimmick to increase sales and you can't fault the guy for that. My only question is if these are the hottest peppers in the world where are the Trinidad Scorpions? Where's the multitude of 7 Pods? Save your money if you're looking for serious heat.

The "Fire in a box" is just a gimmick to increase sales and you can't fault the guy for that. My only question is if these are the hottest peppers in the world where are the Trinidad Scorpions? Where's the multitude of 7 Pods? Save your money if you're looking for serious heat.

And I truthfully am looking for serous heat. I can't seem to find the scorpions anywhere.

You just haven't looked in the right place yet.

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7&Itemid=4

Good luck.

Please remember that cheap is not always good when buying seeds spend a little more to get great seeds. also the people here have mostly great seeds

Hippy is the way to go man. Always true to what you order and great to work with. I've heard the same about pepperlover and am ordering from there later this year to get a head start on next years grow.

And I truthfully am looking for serous heat. I can't seem to find the scorpions anywhere.

at the Hippy Seed Company, look in the section listed as: The Caribbean Nuclear Section
top listing is the Trinidad Scorpian, Butch T...
I'm sure there are others that have some as well, but Neil's the man.

AJ posted that he will selling some of his Scorpian seed stock as well this year, if you are looking to get seeds for next year, you can't go wrong with AJ either.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice, and help. I just placed my order with pepperlover, and purchased:
-Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
-Bhut Jolokia Red
-Dorset Naga
-Trinidad Scorpion Yellow

AND I'm getting some black pearl pepper seeds from armac! :dance: :woohoo: :onfire:

Please remember that cheap is not always good when buying seeds spend a little more to get great seeds. also the people here have mostly great seeds
i agree 100% i bought seeds from ebay. what a waste of time. zero germination. did i mention what a waste of time?! the folks here at the hot pepper forum are the real McCoy . great people, great advice, great products

Sounds like an STD.

I can vouch for hippy, they have a good selection and I got my seeds in about a week. Also, AJ is another good choice, the man has peppers coming out of his ears(check out his scorpion threads). My guess is he will have plenty of seeds to go around for next season. Good luck to you on the rest of your growing.

Hey Fellow Chileheads...
THANKS Chilli Monsta, MisterBigglesworth and Route Bound for your favorable reports on Pepper Joe's.
SeamusMartin....stick with the guy that you get 100% germination rates from his seeds...that would be Pepper Joe's.
:woohoo:

I'm glad to stand up to any criticism on my products and will make every customer 100% happy.
We've been doing that for 23 years now and have thousands of satisfied customers.
I order seeds from competitors to see how they are packaging, shipping, service levels etc. And I can honestly say that Judy is awesome...I've bought wholesale seeds from her too...but some of the other companies that I've seen mentionioned, I totally disagree with. I've seen poor service, slow deliveries, and cross-pollinated seeds from these companies several times.
I'll put Pepper Joe's up against any of them and let our customers decide. Besides, we're also all 100% "Made in the good ole' USA".
:clap:
Check out our happy customers on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pennys-Tomatoes-and-Pepper-Joes/204328085055

We created our Fire-in-a-Box almost 2 years ago and it's is selling like crazy.
However, I do intend to update it for 2012 with the Super-Hots that we are growing in our test gardens including the 7 Pot, Butch T, Trinidad Scorpion, Douglah, etc. It will truly be the Hottest collection of Chiles anywhere in the world.

f5.jpg

Fiery Regards, Pepper Joe's
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:
Check out Pepper Joe's

dont buy from seedrack or pepperjoes, best bet is from pepperlover.com or thehippyseedcompany.com or from asking members on here for seed, the 2 places you listed and well known for screwing people over on what they ordered and what they actually get. and to be honest $44 for basically a few bhut seeds and a bunch of common habanero types is a rip off, most of those seeds you can get from people here for free or for the cost of a stamp lol

Hey WickedMojo,
You're entitled to your opinion...mine is much different and can be viewed on the 2nd page below.
I'll stand with my Tens of Thousands of satisfied customers as proof that we deliver on Product and Service.
I just checked out your website http://www.wickedspices.com and instead of having spices for sale it has some 3rd party computers for sale??
It's easy to be critical...it's another thing to run a successful and profitable business for 23 years.
I have 17,000 Facebook Fans and 99%+ of them love us and you can view the page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pennys-Tomatoes-and-Pepper-Joes/204328085055
I also have 13,000 opt-in Newsletter subscribers and get very few opt outs in the last decade.
Fiery Regards to ya,
Pepper Joe
Check out the Fire in a Box for yourself

Hey Fellow Chileheads...
THANKS Chilli Monsta, MisterBigglesworth and Route Bound for your favorable reports on Pepper Joe's.
SeamusMartin....stick with the guy that you get 100% germination rates from his seeds...that would be Pepper Joe's.
:woohoo:

I'm glad to stand up to any criticism on my products and will make every customer 100% happy.
We've been doing that for 23 years now and have thousands of satisfied customers.
I order seeds from competitors to see how they are packaging, shipping, service levels etc. And I can honestly say that Judy is awesome...I've bought wholesale seeds from her too...but some of the other companies that I've seen mentionioned, I totally disagree with. I've seen poor service, slow deliveries, and cross-pollinated seeds from these companies several times.
I'll put Pepper Joe's up against any of them and let our customers decide. Besides, we're also all 100% "Made in the good ole' USA".

:clap:
Check out our happy customers on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pennys-Tomatoes-and-Pepper-Joes/204328085055

We created our Fire-in-a-Box almost 2 years ago and it's is selling like crazy.
However, I do intend to update it for 2012 with the Super-Hots that we are growing in our test gardens including the 7 Pot, Butch T, Trinidad Scorpion, Douglah, etc. It will truly be the Hottest collection of Chiles anywhere in the world.

f5.jpg

Fiery Regards, Pepper Joe's
Check out Pepper Joe's

Would you please elaborate on who you are meaning in regards the bold text??

That way people here can make up their own mind if you are being honest about this based on their personal experiences. That would only be fair wouldn't it??

I hate to interrupt their promotional commercials, :rolleyes: but this is the SECOND time now I have seen this company respond to criticisms about their firm by THP members, with a combination of self-serving advertising and nebulous attacks against others.

I have purchased pepper seeds from many companies. But many years ago (long before THP even existed), I was forewarned by fellow chileheads to steer clear of this seed company, due to the following two concerns -

* Re-naming pepper varieties
* Overpriced

These complaints started many years ago, but in looking over the more recent complaints by many respected THP members in this thread -

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/15006-pepper-joes/

as well as a recent review of their web site, it appears that this leopard can't change his spots?

With regards to the first issue, one of the pepper experts I most respect once confessed to me that his biggest pet peeve in this field was the mass confusion caused by people re-naming peppers. Its bad enough when individuals do this, but even worse when a commercial seed vendor does it to increase sales.

I think he felt there was a special place in Hell reserved for seed companies that engaged in this despicable practice.

As Pepper Joe should well know, a serious hobbyist/collector is more likely to purchase a new or unusual variety he has not seen or grown before, over a common variety he already has/doesn't need.

For example - I am not going to pay high prices for common Fish Pepper, but "Bahamas Seafood Pepper"? - I might be tempted! ;)

(BTW, its worth noting that they have now "double-named" this pepper on their site (but with the BS name still in larger & bolder type), in apparent response to public complaints by two THP members who actually live in the Bahamas, stating that there is no such pepper! -

Well I can pretty much verify that the "Bahamas Seafood Pepper" does not exist, at least not here in the real Bahamas lol.
BTW the scetch looks like a fish pepper.

i hate that crap !!! Pepper joes is pepper Noes!! i would never buy from them . We dont even say " Mon " here. we are not jamaicans. darn pepper joes that site need to be blown to smitherines. Bahamas seafood pepper ( no such thing ) . NEVER BUY FROM HIM!!! IF U DO I WILL FIND U !!!!
A serious hobbyist/collector is also going to be more willing to pay a high price for a variety name he can find nowhere else, vs. one he can obtain elsewhere for less.

Then there's the second issue - pricing.

Let's compare Pepper Joe's with a few other reputable sources, shall we? -

Mustard Hab -

Pepper Gal - $2/25 seeds = 8 cents per seed
Seed Savers Exchange - $2.75/25 seeds = 11 cents
Pepper Joe's "Spicy Mustard Habanero" - $3.99/20 seeds = ~20 cents

Fish Pepper -

Pepper Gal - $2/25 seeds = 8 cents per seed
Seed Savers Exchange - $2.75/50 seeds = 5.5 cents
Pepper Joe's "Bahamas Seafood Pepper" - $3.99/20 seeds = ~20 cents

Then there's Bhut Jolokia. They take "real" Bhut Jolokia f/Dr. Bosland, rename it to "GIANT Bhut Jolokia", and sell it for almost $1 a seed! :eek:

They also imply that this re-named "Giant" variety is available ONLY from Pepper Joe's, loudly proclaiming right under the new name in ALL CAPS -

"WOW...TRY TO FIND THIS ANYWHERE ELSE..."
OK, how about here - ;)

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/files/tiny_mce/file_manager/2011Catalog.pdf

Now, why in the &#$! would I want to pay so much more $$$ to buy re-named seeds, when I can get them from from the official source for much less? :doh:

Then there's this claim about their "Giant" Bhut Jolokia -

"This seed originated from the University of New Mexico via India. The UNM is where our respected Peer Paul Bosland is based."
WRONG - Dr. Paul Bosland is based at New Mexico State University (NMSU), not UNM!

Dr. Bosland is considered one of the world's leading experts on peppers, and his affiliation with NMSU is well-known to anyone with a serious interest in this field. I am very surprised that Pepper Joe's got that wrong!

The fact that this company mis-identified the supposed source of their "Giant Bhut Jolokia" is also a bit disconcerting!

Speaking of questionable Bhut seed sources, there has also been some recent concerns expressed by various members here at THP about some of their seeds not growing true? For example -

I bought Bhut seeds from him that turned out to be Car. Red Habs. Never, ever again.
But the way they chose to respond to THP member criticisms in these two threads is also quite telling - blatant self-promotion/links, combined with nebulous attacks against others!

In this thread, they respond to complaints about THEIR firm, by attacking their competitors! -

but some of the other companies that I've seen mentionioned, I totally disagree with. I've seen poor service, slow deliveries, and cross-pollinated seeds from these companies several times.
along with an ad hominem attack against one of their own customers, a THP member who had just complained about their company -

I just checked out your website http://www.wickedspices.com and instead of having spices for sale it has some 3rd party computers for sale??
And in the other thread, where many THP members (including well_respected, senior ones) posted negative comments about this company, they responded with a nebulous attack against the THP members themselves! :eek: - actually accusing the THP members of being competitors that were secretly out to get him! -

Also, some of these comments were made by individuals that own their own seed companies or Chile related companies...mostly very unsuccessful operations. I've chosen not to attack them back...
Nor is this the only time they have done this! Following is part of their reply to a negative customer review I came across on another site from Googling them -

Sorry that you just can't please some people.
I notice you didn't take issue with my feeling that you were either a Competitor or that you may possibly 'Hear Voices".
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/99/

I'm sorry, but for a company to respond to complaints by attacking their own customers, is just not the kind of company that I am encouraged to do business with!

Their posts in both of these threads at THP also consisted mainly of self-serving promotional claims, and read more like an advertising brochure for Pepper Joes! Much of these promotional claims were duplicated in both threads, and also included a total of 7 self-promoting/spamvertized links!

Then there's the whole honesty issue of a company whose sales site is STILL claiming that Bhut is "THE HOTTEST PEPPER IN THE WORLD"! :liar:

I can't help but wonder if that is because that is the hottest variety they happen to carry right now? A suspicion that was not exactly contradicted when I read the following plea on their member page -

Seeds Wanted: Naga Viper...will swap for any of my seeds...5 packs.
:lol:

Now, I will say something nice about Pepper Joe's -

I don't think they are as bad as Hirts or Reimers, and I might actually do business with them if they were to clean up their act.

I originally had lingering concerns about them, based in part on prior warnings I had heard regarding their company. But after reading some of the more recent complaints here at THP, and in particular the way they chose to respond to them, their reputation in my mind has taken a major move South.

Dude, you need to straighten-up and fly right, if you EVER want to get my business in the future!

Anyways, that's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it! ;)

laserguy or wicked mojo, have either of you ever bought anything from pepper joe? I'm guessing no as it seems the bashers usually have not while actual customers have, for the most part, good things to say. I have and have only had two issues. 1) some scotch bonnets that turned out to be habs and some early jalapenos that didn't sprout. The jalapenos were probably my fault, bad germination setups. Every other seed has had acceptable germination and has grown true. I'm not a fan of the renaming but you can't blast a guy for his prices. He sets them at the markets will bare...business 101. How would you like it if a thread was started about your business and a bunch of people who are not even customers started criticizing your business? Anyone considering buying from a seed vendor should take the recommendations and advice of actual customers instead of advice from people who read something on the internet or heard it from a friend of friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back