• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First Go-Round at a Sauce or Three

Right, so I have major love for hot things.

Kids, however, make it difficult to cook things with what I consider an appropriate heat level, so anything I do has to be on a fairly small level unless I'm sharing. Which I do. A lot. It also kills your heat tolerance!!

Anyhoo, I decided to jump in head first, as usual so here are the first three experiments:

#1 Ch Ch Ch Cherry Bomb
- 1c Very dry apricots, soaked in 1c homemade blueberry liqueur to plump up
- 6 Cherry Bombs
- 2 Asian Singers
- 1 Red Jalapeno
- 10 Matchbox peppers
- 1/4c balsamic vinegar
- 1t smoked salt
- 1/2 of a large red onion

#2 Choke the Bishop
- 1c Chokecherry pulp
- 1 Black Krimm Tomato
- 6 Bishop's Crowns
- 2 green Jalapenos
- 2 Asian Singers
- 4 Hot Lemons
- 1t Smoked salt
- 1 (accidental) t Himalayan salt
- 1/4 large red onion
- 1/4 c lime juice

#3 I Habs me a Pineapple
- 1/2 of a small pineapple, very ripe
- 1 Pineapple tomato
- 1 Striped German tomato
- 1/4 raisins
- 3 Orange lantern Habaneros
- 4 raw garlic cloves
- 1/4 c fresh canola honey

I know I'm missing some things here - so any assistance would be appreciated. I'm roasting some garlic as I type, so will add that to the Bishop and Cherry. Everything is in the fridge marinating overnight. These will be cooked and tossed into the fridge, with extras going out to the extended family for taste testing.

Anyone have anything to add for this poor noob?
Ray

All three recipes look solid Ray.  Once they're cooked down and processed you'll be tasting them alone and with food - write down notes on what you liked and didn't like about them; what they could use more (or less) of for next time.  Pics would be great too.  :)

I could do all three recipes with what I have in the garden.  Just need some matchbox, chokecherry and singers. 

Rae, question.  Are you smoking your own salt?  I am about to launch into smoking some salt.... or buy it!  haha.

Jim

Thanks for the replies! I'm super excited about this :)

Robbyjoe01 - Pineapple tomato is a fruity, acidic, yellow tomato. Actually tastes like there's a hint of pineapple in it. Very meaty and with very few seeds.
It's also gorgeous, with a pink blush at the bottom. It's one of my new favourite herilooms.
Tomato%20Pineapple.jpg

(I stole this picture from the internets)

I'll try and snap some pics of them marinating whole tonight, and will hopefully be whipping up #1 this evening.
#2 and #3 may end up in the freezer until I have more time.
Also, I'm a bit of a nutter when it comes to note-taking, so I'll definitely write it out and post it. Also, it helps when something goes right or wrong for advice, and what to re-do/not do-over!

Jim: I have not smoked my own salt - yet. It's on the docket as Hubby gave me a smoker for Christmas. I need to collect some fresh Goldeye, some salt, and another pork belly. Then I'll get it all going. The stuff is amazing though, and whenever I see it I have to buy it! I sometimes even order it online (but don't tell anyone!).

chiltepin said:
I could do all three recipes with what I have in the garden.  Just need some matchbox, chokecherry and singers. 

Rae, question.  Are you smoking your own salt?  I am about to launch into smoking some salt.... or buy it!  haha.

Jim

I have fresh frozen chokecherry if you're looking for any, also have some dried fruit leather I made from chokecherry and raspberries.  As far as smoking salt just put some kosher salt in a foil pie pan and smoke it for about 30 minutes.  Can also smoke an onion or an apple and then put it into a ziplock with a cup of salt for a couple days.  :)

Ok, still no pics, but I cooked up the Cherry Bomb and Pineapple Habanero last night, then tossed it in the freezer with the Bishop Chokesherry as I realized I will have zero time to process them for the next week or so. I added around 1/4-1/2 cup of water to each while I was cooking them down to give me enough liquid to cook the veggies.

The Hab Pineapple is GLORIOUS. It starts all sweet (not sickly sweet or anything) with honey and raisin, then moves to a nice acidity from the pineapple. Then BOOM it slaps you upside the head with the hab heat. And the finish is endless...*sigh* who knew that homemade hotsauce could be this amazing?? Looking forward to finishing this one.

The Cherry Bomb will be the mild deal, and is good, but not as good as the Hab Pineapple. It's sweet with the good balsamic I used, and then you get a nice apricot/blueberry flavour. The sting comes in between the balsamic and the fruit, then comes back again at the end. I think this will be one for the folks on Hubby's side of the family.

So far so good!

Rae,

This does sound amazing!  Great descriptions of your sauces.  That is lacking in so many posts.  Putting them away until you have time is good.  We raised 3 daughters so I know life gets in the way of pepper sauces.  Keep us posted.

Dru - thanks for the offer.  I have so many ideas for sauces swirling in my head.  This Hab sauce looks good too!  Anyway, your chokecherries are safe in the freezer for now!  Much appreciated!

Jim

Ok! I finished up these three beauties tonight and here's the final tally:

Cherry Bomb - after freezing, and hot cooking again I gave it a blend. It was VERY thick, so I added 3/4 cup water, a splash of white vinegar, 3 chipotles in adobo, 1/4 tsp smoked salt & 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Blended the snot out of it again, and was exactly the consistency of BBQ sauce. So that is what it has ended up becoming! It's got a great fruity sweet start and then gives way to a nice smokey heat. A touch of acidity to balance the heat and fruit, then it lingers every so gently in the back of your throat with the cayenne and apricot. I can't wait to try it on ribs! Yum. Definitely a mild hot sauce, but has a kick for BBQ sauce!

Choke the Bishop - this one was to be medium heat, and hit the mark pretty well. It is the thinnest of the bunch, and very watery. I'm hoping it will come together a bit more once it sits for awhile. It starts with green pepper, then a more fiery heat that tastes a bit 'raw' to me, and the lime/chokecherry doesn't really come through yet. I added 1tblsp of brown sugar to try and give it a bit more oomph on the mid-palate. TBC on this one, and it's my 3rd favourite of the three.

Habs me a Pineapple - hot.damn. This is good. I added 3/4 cup pineapple juice, and the zest and juice of one lime, blended and strained it. It's thicker than the Bishop, and thinner than the Bomb, so it feels very nice and pourable. The pineapple once blended and cooked became very sweet and paired nicely with the honey, but I didn't want it to be too sweet and unbalanced, which is why I added the lime. Now it is a beautiful thing indeed. It's got a pronounced, ripe pineapple start, which goes to a raisiny-honey (almost date-like) mid, the acidity balances it out nicely, and then it makes the inside of your mouth feel like it's sitting next to a raging campfire as it slides down your throat. 

Woot! I am so excited about these three, and I've only made very small batches so that I can pass them out to a couple of heat-loving friends to get some feedback. I also scored some Ghost Peppers from my Aunt, so am going to look into some recipes for that as well :)

Sorry all, I can't figure out how to post the pics...

the_rayway said:
Ok! I finished up these three beauties tonight and here's the final tally:

Cherry Bomb - after freezing, and hot cooking again I gave it a blend. It was VERY thick, so I added 3/4 cup water, a splash of white vinegar, 3 chipotles in adobo, 1/4 tsp smoked salt & 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Blended the snot out of it again, and was exactly the consistency of BBQ sauce. So that is what it has ended up becoming! It's got a great fruity sweet start and then gives way to a nice smokey heat. A touch of acidity to balance the heat and fruit, then it lingers every so gently in the back of your throat with the cayenne and apricot. I can't wait to try it on ribs! Yum. Definitely a mild hot sauce, but has a kick for BBQ sauce!

Choke the Bishop - this one was to be medium heat, and hit the mark pretty well. It is the thinnest of the bunch, and very watery. I'm hoping it will come together a bit more once it sits for awhile. It starts with green pepper, then a more fiery heat that tastes a bit 'raw' to me, and the lime/chokecherry doesn't really come through yet. I added 1tblsp of brown sugar to try and give it a bit more oomph on the mid-palate. TBC on this one, and it's my 3rd favourite of the three.

Habs me a Pineapple - hot.damn. This is good. I added 3/4 cup pineapple juice, and the zest and juice of one lime, blended and strained it. It's thicker than the Bishop, and thinner than the Bomb, so it feels very nice and pourable. The pineapple once blended and cooked became very sweet and paired nicely with the honey, but I didn't want it to be too sweet and unbalanced, which is why I added the lime. Now it is a beautiful thing indeed. It's got a pronounced, ripe pineapple start, which goes to a raisiny-honey (almost date-like) mid, the acidity balances it out nicely, and then it makes the inside of your mouth feel like it's sitting next to a raging campfire as it slides down your throat. 

Woot! I am so excited about these three, and I've only made very small batches so that I can pass them out to a couple of heat-loving friends to get some feedback. I also scored some Ghost Peppers from my Aunt, so am going to look into some recipes for that as well :)
Sorry all, I can't figure out how to post the pics...
You need to use something like tinypics to put your pictures then load them from there or become and extreme member and it's super easy!! I'm a computer chuckle head and I'm like an old pro now!! :)

Back