• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First log, Will follow with weekly updates

This is my first ever Grow Log. This is also my first year dealing with growing a fairly large amount of plants in my opinion. currently I have approximately 28 Bhut Jolokai, 19 Carolina Reaper, 19 Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and 6 Habanero.
Recently (Last night) I Pruned 3 of each pepper to begin my "research" and develop my own experience and opinion on how, when and how much to prune. I did only 3 of each plant so I have many control pieces. I am hoping my reading and video searches on this subject are leading me in the correct path. I would like to get my plants to about 12-15 inches  and with a nice hardy structure before putting them in the ground. I am starting this Glog also to make me aware of the growth seeing as I see these plants daily, So I do not notice growth. Measurements taken in this log for height are to the tallest portion of the stem. I will post the log at the end of the "experiment" unless anyone would like m to post it week by week. Please leave feed back, suggestions and comments as you would like. Seeing as last year was my first vegi garden and this is my first year beginning indoors I would like all the feedback I can get. Thank you in advance.
Happy Growing
Blitz

Pruned Reaper and Habanero
pruned%20reaper%20amp%20Hab_zps6xp6uyz3.jpg

Pruned Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
pruned%20scorpion_zpsxmaikul6.jpg

Pruned Bhut Jolokia (Ghost)
pruned%20ghost_zpsff714gkz.jpg

Side of other plants
Side%202%202-26-17_zpswbpoljzn.jpg

Side of other plants
Side%201%202-26-17_zpsserqkx5b.jpg

Overhead view
over%20head%201%202-26-17_zps7avvxwsh.jpg

Overhead View
over%20head%202%202-26-17_zpsatouvzwb.jpg

Believe me... short and squat with a sturdy stem and short inter-nodal length is just what you want to start out with here in the Northeast. The weather is so changeable in the early season and wind squalls can pop up any time, so plants that can hug the ground and grow good roots will survive better. When the season warms up, the winds moderate and the days get longer, the plants will stretch out between the nodes really quickly.

Weekly Update:
I am a day late on my upload, I had my sons first birthday party yesterday and then work last night. So here we are, Mid day Monday. I took my measurements yesterday and I am still averaging .25"-.75" of growth, Almost every plant has now doubled in size from when I started this, and that was 22 days ago. I am happy with the growth so far, Waiting on the weather to break so they can be less compact. Roots in clear containers look great, I am getting a lot of luscious green leaves. None of them have died, so that is a good sign. As far as the pruning goes, I am seeing more and more how it works. It is quite interesting to see first hand. You are more or less guiding the plant to grow in ways you want it to. Depending on how much room I have I am going to keep a couple of each natural and the rest I will prune, most of this is due to the limited space right now. My enclosure is a little over crowded it seems. But everyone seems happy.
Here are the Pics from this week.

Pruned Reapers:
IMG_20170320_153442348-600x1067_zpskptqmzzk.jpg

IMG_20170320_153455927-1067x600_zpsnxagwbcs.jpg

Pruned Scorpions:
IMG_20170320_153436940-600x1067_zpskab4hfsu.jpg

IMG_20170320_153509439-1067x600_zps6ylfcdxu.jpg

Pruned Ghosts:
IMG_20170320_153450294-1067x600_zpslynirzpe.jpg

Pruned Habs:
IMG_20170320_153426093-600x1067_zpsvcm1wmle.jpg

Overall Shots:
IMG_20170320_153418739_HDR-1067x600_zpsgluoro6c.jpg

IMG_20170320_153525844-1067x600_zpshoub3egd.jpg

IMG_20170320_153530293-1067x600_zpsljv0ak1n.jpg

Quick update from yesterday. No pics this week. Been really busy, growth has slowed a little for some and stayed steady for others. Reapers are catching up to the others, Habaneros remain tall and skinny with some nice deep green leaves. All other plants in the "rack" have very nice. Large, broad leaves. Picking up a new 4 bulb t5 light this weekend. Setting that up in the lower portion of my grow set up for some additional space. Then we will have enough room for the most part. Will post pics this coming sunday.
On a side note, PepperNovice has sent me a very gracious package of seeds. Some very cool varieties that I will be putting in the aero garden or another setup I am building with the same workings as the aero garden. I thank Tim, along with Scott so much for your gifts. The seeds will be put to very good use. Some of these are varieties that are not very well known around here so I am sure myself and my friends will have a lot of fun with these.

I have decided I am in need of a GA meeting. HAHAHAHAHA, because I'm finding myself in a bind, to many plants, not enough space. So I am looking for a bigger place to support my gardening addiction. Anyone interested in starting a "Growers Anonymous" thread HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Blitz527 said:
I have decided I am in need of a GA meeting. HAHAHAHAHA, because I'm finding myself in a bind, to many plants, not enough space. So I am looking for a bigger place to support my gardening addiction. Anyone interested in starting a "Growers Anonymous" thread HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Heh... you're not the first to say this. ;) :)  Things are looking good in your indoor grow. Will you be planting in-ground eventually, in pots or some of both?

stickman said:

Heh... you're not the first to say this. ;) :)  Things are looking good in your indoor grow. Will you be planting in-ground eventually, in pots or some of both?

My original plan was to plant in pots/buckets in my green house and some in my garden.... Well looks like I'm going to have to make shift some raised beds quick when the weather allows it because my greenhouse hot hosed in the wind storm. Unless anyone knows where I can get a replacement canvas for it??..... I will still be doing 5-6 ghost, TMS, and Reapers in buckets, and the same in the ground. I got a very nice gift from PepperNovice. I can not express how excited I was to see what was in it and some very fun varieties were included. I will be picking 3-5 of them and growing out a plant or two of each. Next year will be more varieties and hopefully a lot more space. Seriously I am looking g at buying a house just for a garden. LOL bit then I can build a much bigger green house too HAHAHAHAHA hey of all the things to be addicted to, I believe this is on the good side of things :)

Everything looks so good, Alex - plants have great foliage.
your grow is off to a great start.  Really like the frame you
built for the 'greenhouse' grow space.  Your unit is very
efficient and self-contained.

I don't know how I missed this glog until now Alex; seems like you have your ducks in a row for sure!

Nice grow area, and beautiful plants going on.

Keep it green buddy! ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I have been making little changes to the enclosure here and there, It now has a small fan in the top right corner too. The weather here is starting to warm up a little so I am getting really excited to start getting the garden ready as well as the raised beds I am going to have to put together. I will say I am very excited about finding this forum. I have a feeling this season is going to go very well.

Just a quick mid week update. 1 does anyone know if you can upload photos from a phone? It would make sharing them much easier and 2, all the reapers and ghosts are growing similarly, but the scorpions seem to have something going on with the leaves, instead of the leaves growing off the main stem almost perpendicularly, they are curving and reaching upwards. I'd like to share a couple pics but have to leave in a few for work. If you know how to share pics from the phone, let me know, if not I'll upload pics tomorrow.

On another note, I'm starting to see what I think y'all refer to as bark lol.

Blitz527 said:
Just a quick mid week update. 1 does anyone know if you can upload photos from a phone? It would make sharing them much easier and 2, all the reapers and ghosts are growing similarly, but the scorpions seem to have something going on with the leaves, instead of the leaves growing off the main stem almost perpendicularly, they are curving and reaching upwards. I'd like to share a couple pics but have to leave in a few for work. If you know how to share pics from the phone, let me know, if not I'll upload pics tomorrow.

On another note, I'm starting to see what I think y'all refer to as bark lol.

I think it depends on what apps you have on the phone. I usually Email myself pics to put them on the desktop and load them to THP from there, but that's kind of a kludge. Quite a lot of folks here use the tapatalk app to manage their glogs and pics.

Getting "wood" is never a bad thing... :twisted:

stickman said:

I think it depends on what apps you have on the phone. I usually Email myself pics to put them on the desktop and load them to THP from there, but that's kind of a kludge. Quite a lot of folks here use the tapatalk app to manage their glogs and pics.

HAHAHAHAHAHA thats a good one, I downloaded the photobucket app and its a little easier than how I was doing it, which was email from phone, open and download to computer, upload to photobucket then upload to here. now I just upload to PB from my phone but still have to use the computer to upload to here which isnt a big deal.

stickman said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA thats a good one, I downloaded the photobucket app and its a little easier than how I was doing it, which was email from phone, open and download to computer, upload to photobucket then upload to here. now I just upload to PB from my phone but still have to use the computer to upload to here which isnt a big deal.

Weekly Update. Sorry about last week folks, had a very busy weekend plus I am still adjusting to my new work schedule 10:30PM to 6:30 AM. So things are still going along slowly but surely. The pruned plants are not bushing out as much as I hoped but I am sure once they hit the garden and the fresh air with the natural light, things will change. Plant out date is projected for May 12th or 13th. Hoping the weather cooperates and does not screw me..... Who knows, maybe a week earlier will be possible. Watching the weather really closely lately. so here are todays pics :) Enjoy and leave feedback.

Trying out a new fert, Thoughts??
IMG_20170402_160750929-752x1336_zpsl1lczz53.jpg

Anyone else have Trinidad Moruga leaves grow like this?
IMG_20170402_162039446-1336x752_zpsuw9czqtf.jpg

This is how my reaper and ghost leaves are growing
IMG_20170402_162051159-1336x752_zpsgwvivbxz.jpg

IMG_20170402_162056888-1336x752_zpsud9vyli8.jpg

Check out that size :)
IMG_20170402_160408096-1336x752_zpsvw8bhybd.jpg

As Stickman said, Gettin wood is never a bad thing HAHAHAHAHA  Its still light but you can see the whitish lines starting up the base.
IMG_20170402_160505510-1336x752_zpspqomu0ps.jpg

Some Other Shots, please ignore the crap in the lower area of the pic. the droopy shit is just sage that I have been neglecting LOL
IMG_20170402_160351418_HDR-1336x752_zpskni5ndqg.jpg

IMG_20170402_160357012_HDR-1336x752_zpsr4tusneb.jpg

IMG_20170402_160400512_HDR-1336x752_zpsd5e3tqfi.jpg

Everything happy-happy Alex! I'd say you have everything pretty well dialed in except maybe plant spacing... ;)  I use the Alaska fish ferts for nitrogen when feeding my seedlings, but they don't need much, so in addition to the other ferts I mix 5ml per gallon of water.

Keep 'em green buddy!

Excellent looking plants.

The Alaska Fish, along with Alaska Seaweed, are the only fertilizers I use throughout the year.

However, I do add blood meal, bone meal, and pulverized crab shell to my raised bed about a month before plant out.

stickman said:
Everything happy-happy Alex! I'd say you have everything pretty well dialed in except maybe plant spacing... ;)  I use the Alaska fish ferts for nitrogen when feeding my seedlings, but they don't need much, so in addition to the other ferts I mix 5ml per gallon of water.

Keep 'em green buddy!
Yea.... Spacing..... About that HAHAHAHAHA IM hooefully picking up another light within the next week or so, then I can fully utilize the shelf under my main grow rack. Then outside in a month and a half.... SEEMS LIKE FOREVER lol
Thanks for the feedback though. Seeing as it's my first real season, that makes me feel really good about what I'm doing here.

They all seem to be growing nice & look very healthy..good  going...you certainly will have some huge plants to put outside in another 6 weeks or so..
Continued success. :P

alkhall said:
Excellent looking plants.

The Alaska Fish, along with Alaska Seaweed, are the only fertilizers I use throughout the year.

However, I do add blood meal, bone meal, and pulverized crab shell to my raised bed about a month before plant out.
Thank you for the advise on that as I am building 2 raised beds this year. I'll give that a try. I am thinking of just throwing a 1x10 box on the ground. The ground here is pretty hard. But ibread if you fill the raised beds with a good soil mix, plant in it and go along with regular garden needs, the roots will eventually penetrate the harder soils and clays.

Back