• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

First Ripe Tomatoes

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on Marianna's Peace, and I have seeds but never started any. Definitely don't grow Delicious as they really taste aweful. If you've never checked it out, Tomatoville forum is a great place to learn or chat about tomatoes and other veggies.
http://tomatoville.com/

bentalphanerd, my bags are packed and ready to go - can I stay at your place until I find a home of my own ;-)
of what I see on some aussy border patrol television shows (they are starting to import more than neighbours, home and away and flying doctors these days ;-) ) it might be hard to get my seed collection across the border so I'll sit put and wait for the summer (not long anymore)

almost forgot that we have different seasons at different times on different location around the globe...

Pam said:
I'm in South Carolina, the Great Mildew State, so I try and get varieties that can stand heat and humidity and have some disease resistance to fungi and blights.

I've read that an early application of copper based fungicide can prevent fungii problems later on, especially with tomatoes but genetics is truly most important. We get quite humid summers but its the rain that seems to ruin most of my big tomatoes.

btw giant belgiums and making wine from them ... now you got me teased... how hard would it be for a belgian guy to find belgian seeds (for next season) or maybe even some plants for this season ;-)

Belgium Giants were developed in Ohio so you may not find them locally.;). As for the wine, I really wonder how it would taste. I have some wine-making friends I'll try to con into making some.

I was going to post a tomato wine recipe in the recipe forum, but that format really sucks, so I'm putting it here.

Tomato wine:

6 lb. sugar
6 lb. tomatoes, washed and chopped
1 lb. raisins
6 oranges, washed and cut up (skins included)
1 gal. boiling water
1 pkg. yeast

In a very clean crock or food-safe new plastic bucket, mix
together the first 5 ingredients. When the mixture has cooled
to lukewarm, add yeast and stir well. Cover loosely and
stir well daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
Strain, filter (coffee filters work well), and bottle.
This keeps forever and gets smoother as it ages.

I first saw this on rec.gardens.edible, but it's attributed to gloria p. from rec.food.cooking. I have not made it, but it's on my "wanna try someday" list.

joobie said:
it looks to me like it would taste about as good as prison wine.

iirc, the guy who made it said after it had worked in the bottles for about a year, it tasted a lot like port.

Well, Mrs. DD likes her homegrown tomatoes, so when we went to pick up my peppers, we got two plants. A Beefmaster, and a Better Boy. We also got lucky and found two 1/2 wine barrels for them to live in.

That freed up my garden space for nothing but peppers!

POTAWIE said:
I've read that an early application of copper based fungicide can prevent fungii problems later on, especially with tomatoes but genetics is truly most important. We get quite humid summers but its the rain that seems to ruin most of my big tomatoes.

Hm, a preventive dose. I've never tried that, but I'll be looking into it.

I know what you mean about the big tomatoes, though. It seems just when I have some really beautiful big tomatoes just about to ripen, we start having thunderstorms every night that are real frog drowners and they split.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on Marianna's Peace, and I have seeds but never started any. Definitely don't grow Delicious as they really taste aweful. If you've never checked it out, Tomatoville forum is a great place to learn or chat about tomatoes and other veggies.
http://tomatoville.com/

I decided to give the Marianna's Peace a try this based on the rave reviews I kept seeing. I'm always suspicious when you hear nothing but good things about a variety, but some of the reviewers were from this area, so I thought it might grow well here. I'll let you know.

Here's the new one trying to take over the world...it was a few inch high seedling 6 weeks ago when I planted it.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

And this is it's predecessor after it broke out of the cage on one side, went across the roof & half way down the other side before finally coming to a violent end.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

bentalphanerd said:
And this is it's predecessor after it broke out of the cage on one side, went across the roof & half way down the other side before finally coming to a violent end.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Good Lord! That's one huge tomato plant!

Were you feeding it radioactive fertilizer?

What I don't get is that normal tomatoes just dwindle & fade...but the cherry toms thrive & yes, turn into monsters.

Oh yes and its growing in what was (for a long time) a chicken coup.

bentalphanerd said:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
I have to bust this out again. This is a pic of my co-gardener/friend/roommate Dave Reed picking a tomato...15 feet above his head.

tomatopickfs6.jpg

Awww potawie, it's soo cute.

Speaking of Cherry tomatoes, me and Dave were making soup (manly soup with huge chunks of stuff in it) and we searched through the freezer. We came upon a bag of frozen cherry tomatoes from last year's harvest! Plunk! Into the soup they went...and they were gooooooodddd.....

Back