• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

First Ripe Tomatoes

oh, my fault you meant ohio Belgium ;-) why do we need geography anyways they all try to mess up our minds Frech fries (yeah right), belgium giant ... so are there any ohio'ans who have some belgium giant seeds left for a belgian guy ? Maybe along with some ethymological explanation how/why you gave the honours to Belgium for this plant with ohio'an roots (not that I didn't believe you but my research seems to confirm these roots;-) )

how many cherry tomatoes are there in that container ? I was not a big fan of cherries before but when I see that kind of results : that's amazing... than again I had only the supermarket tasteless marbles as an example, I bet those cherries in the container are like candy

and are those cherry tomatoes rambling 15 feet up ? or what variety was it ... we have radioactive waste available in belgium if that did the trick - hard to get but last for thousands of years so good investment ;-)

the666bbq said:
and are those cherry tomatoes rambling 15 feet up ? or what variety was it ... we have radioactive waste available in belgium if that did the trick - hard to get but last for thousands of years so good investment ;-)
Nope, Super Souix.

Philipperv said:
That explains alot. I'm trying them here in the tropics and the seedlings just die from the heat. :D

Lots and lots of water helps. Twice a day if you have to. Tomatoes don't like to dry out.

Had a few overcast days last 2 weeks seems to have slowed the growth a little, although the arm (right of pic) has grown about 5 ". About a week away from 1st ripe tom (lower main stem)

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

ok I picked up some tomato plants to replace others that died.
I've never had/grown/heard of these but was wondering if any of you here can tell me what to expect from their growth & taste/juicy or not (for canning)
I know you might not know about them but I was just curious if anyone did, & if I made a good choice :lol:

- burpee big boy
- early girl improved (VFF)
- polish giant
- polish linguisa
- carnival VFFNTA hybrid
- classica VFFNA hybrid
- & some more roma's (which already had & love'em)

& WTH does VFFNA stand for ?

"V" means the variety is resistant to verticillium wilt. "F F" means the variety shows tolerance to fusarium wilt strains 1 nd II. "N" means nematode resistance. "A" means it is not susceptible to alterneria root rot.

Pam said:
"V" means the variety is resistant to verticillium wilt. "F F" means the variety shows tolerance to fusarium wilt strains 1 nd II. "N" means nematode resistance. "A" means it is not susceptible to alterneria root rot.

Talk about taking all the fun out of gardening :)

chilehunter said:
ok I picked up some tomato plants to replace others that died.
I've never had/grown/heard of these but was wondering if any of you here can tell me what to expect from their growth & taste/juicy or not (for canning)
I know you might not know about them but I was just curious if anyone did, & if I made a good choice :)

- burpee big boy
- early girl improved (VFF)
- polish giant
- polish linguisa
- carnival VFFNTA hybrid
- classica VFFNA hybrid
- & some more roma's (which already had & love'em)
The two Polish ones are heirloom varieties. The Polish linguisa is a paste tomatoe that I want to try next year.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/cgi-bin/search.pl

For sauces and pastes I highly recommend San Marzano tomatoes. This year I'm also excitedly trying some Opalkas which were previously difficult to find due to low seed count.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/cgi-bin/search.pl

pam thanks for telling me what those letters mean, I forgot one, the letter " T " what does that mean ?
I guess next season I'll be buying mostly tomatoes with any VFFNTA etc... in the name :)

potawie the polish linguisa label didnt mention anything about using for paste, does that mean the tomatoes wont be that tasty eating them raw ? & best left for canning or paste.

Any tomato can be used for paste but the ones labelled as paste tomatoes do better because there is more flesh and less juice therefore less evaporation is needed for a thick sauce or paste. The link above doesn't work properly so here's what they say at tomatogrowers:
Polish Linguisa #6260 (30 seeds) $2.30
Huge, sausage-shaped fruit weighs 8 to 10 ounces and have a great flavor delicious enough to eat fresh as well as cook into sauces. This family heirloom from New York dates back to the 1800's and it is no wonder why this seed was saved by generations. Yields are quite heavy and the plants produce until frost, bearing meaty tomatoes that hold up well even when left on the vine. Indeterminate. 73 days. (More Paste Tomato Varities)

potawie - it sounds like the polish linguisa might be a worthy contender to replace the roma for canning (not that roma's were meant for canning but thats what I've used, never knew of any better tomatoes for canning, I'm just learning more)
& now that I look at what I'm growing I have several polish strains of chiles & tomatoes - FYI, yea I lied, I bought some more even though I said thats it, I felt the need to plant more since you all were planting alot more than me :) I'll post some pics later.

- polish giant
- polish linguisa
- buran (supposed to be very sweet)
- cyklon

if these strains work out good then next season I'll plant them again & try to get some more strains from the motherland, I wonder if theres some strains from germany also ?

pam - I almost forgot I have another question for you (or anyone else that knows the answer) what does " X3R " stand for & " F1 " I assume F1 means something like generation strain or ?
also the " T " from the other post.

chilehunter said:
pam - I almost forgot I have another question for you (or anyone else that knows the answer) what does " X3R " stand for & " F1 " I assume F1 means something like generation strain or ?
also the " T " from the other post.

F1 stands for "first filial generation". It's the first generation of a cross, the hybrid offspring of two unlike parents.

T is short for Tobacco Mosaic Virus.

And I think, but I'm not going to swear to it that XR3 means the plant is resistant to the three races of bacterial wilt. No, wait, bacterial spot. *google, google, google* Yeah, bacterial spot.

chilehunter said:

I've grown Buran peppers before and was really pleased with them. They're small plants that popped out small to medium bells all summer.

chilehunter said:
potawie - it sounds like the polish linguisa might be a worthy contender to replace the roma for canning (not that roma's were meant for canning but thats what I've used, never knew of any better tomatoes for canning, I'm just learning more)
& now that I look at what I'm growing I have several polish strains of chiles & tomatoes - FYI, yea I lied, I bought some more even though I said thats it, I felt the need to plant more since you all were planting alot more than me :P I'll post some pics later.

- polish giant
- polish linguisa
- cyklon

if these strains work out good then next season I'll plant them again & try to get some more strains from the motherland, I wonder if theres some strains from germany also ?

On my wish list for next year is "German Red strawberry" which is said to be one of the best tasting tomatoes and is actually from Germany.

Back