• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking First time smoking a brisket

Depends, they call them stick burners because you don't even need charcoal, you can use wood. You can also use charcoal and wood. You can also use the minion method for a slow coal fire and minimal wood. Charcoal is a good flavor, wood is a good flavor, the combo is a good flavor. Wood, heat, cost, flavor, too many variables!

That's why pitmasters are pitmasters!

haha, lol ...

on the other side, the Akorn is more frugal than my late, depression-era grandmother ...

4 hrs at 250F used half of two fists of fuel, for a total of a fist ....

but the smoke is lighter, for it.

tctenten said:
I use the minion method, I put the apple chunks at 12,3,6,9 on a clock and the hickory right in the middle.

Me too, minion is efficient. You used 5 chunks at once, and they lasted a brisket smoke? How many hours was your smoke? Was that a 3 pound brisket?

The Hot Pepper said:
Me too, minion is efficient. You used 5 chunks at once, and they lasted a brisket smoke? How many hours was your smoke? Was that a 3 pound brisket?
I put them all in at once. The 4 outer ones get placed first, then I add the charcoal. The center piece I put on top of the lit coals from the chimney. It was a 6 lb flat only. The brisket was on the smoker from 7:30 and I pulled it right around 4:30. What I have read is that as the coals get lit and work their way out, they gradually hit the other chunks and you have smoke throughout most of the cook.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Exactly, one of the places listed and linked on the link I posted ;)

I missed that reply, probably because it was only a link and I typically read posts in my email from the feed, and only open the one's i'm curious about ...

I often completely miss the posts that are just a pictures, or just a YT video ... and you know what, I've found that to be, well, let's just say,m "not the worse rule" ...

=)

tctenten said:
I put them all in at once. The 4 outer ones get placed first, then I add the charcoal. The center piece I put on top of the lit coals from the chimney. It was a 6 lb flat only. The brisket was on the smoker from 7:30 and I pulled it right around 4:30. What I have read is that as the coals get lit and work their way out, they gradually hit the other chunks and you have smoke throughout most of the cook.

Ah okay. A full "brisket packer" is 12-16 pounds so I get it now. Also you do your minion a bit different than I but I know what you mean. I have a deep firebox so I can put pretty much a bag of coals in, then I put the hot on top. Then wood, and I have to re-add wood, because it works down, not out. My entire top surface it hot. I guess it works for a slightly hotter fire too. The minion in a broader smoker, yeah, it works down and out.

I don't know WSMs at all.

I bet you like Grant's snake too. :P

I run the fuse, typically, in my Weber, wrapped around a vortex ...

I'm only using the vortex tonight because it was still so full, but I did drop it down to the bottom of the grill ...

Looking forward to turkey - smells great out there ...

Smells even better in here now that the bread is done ...

I thought Soo's Donut was doing minion ...

So true minion means spreading the chimney's worth across the whole top of a cylinder of coals? ... yeah, well, in that case - I've never done minion ...

grantmichaels said:
So true minion means spreading the chimney's worth across the whole top of a cylinder of coals? ... yeah, well, in that case - I've never done minion ...

Never said true.

Depends on your grill shape. 

This is minion in a firebox:
minion_method_firebox_basket.jpg

UDS basket:
minion_method_uds_basket.jpg

WSM: (since it is shallow)
minion_method_wsm.jpg

Oh okay. Cuz yeah I am used to minion meaning top layer burning down. Wasn't sure that last one was minion but I googled it. Donut makes more sense.

I don't know Webers! All sorts of weird names for those geeky mods lol.

I don't care about names I do what works.

Your WSM looks pretty much what I do except my wood is buried around the perimeter, also my center has unlit coals under it so it will burn down and out. I really am new and will experiment, have used my WSM about 6 times so far.

I think with a WSM if you cover the whole top, it will reduce your cook time on one load of charcoal.

That's from google! Mine looks more like the top example.

And the middle is a  UDS basket but looks like possibly galvanized metal, and definitely galvanized bolts, so don't do that!!! ;) Heavy metal poisoning.

Back