• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First timer pepper grow! Planted Feb. 17th, 2013- Pods Multiplying!

I just started my first jalapeno plant. put in the seeds yesterday. using general purpose vegetable miracle grow and seed starting store-bought potting soil in a 4" wide plastic pot with bottom-feed tray. any advice? remember i am new at all this, just starting to look into hydroponics, and plan on starting a hydro system. any fertilizer/ph/watering schedule/ temp/ nutrient/food advice would be greatly appreciated. im very excited to see how my first yeild turns out. i am thinking i might start my next few seeds on a wet tissue to let the seeds burst, and then plant the successful sprouters, and i will be keeping the seeds/plants growing in the same room as my reptiles, which is kept at approx 70-85*F ambient temperature, then moving them into the window sill or outdoors (not sure yet) onto my front balcony. again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.p

yea the growth has definitely slowed, but its still green not showing any droop-age or significant problems yet. and yes, it is a jal. im having a little trouble with starting my other seeds on paper though. maybe im sprinkling them too much, as a few look like they are growing black mold. i only water them when the paper is dry. is it ok for a seed to sit dry for a little while? or should it always be wet? im uploading pics of the jal below.
(below:friday 3-1-13) before the cat
xHu0tBd.jpg

(below:monday-3-4-13) after some recovery
2aO0xRh.jpg

F2Vnfjb.jpg

Cumari Ou Passarinho?
that would be the one

question:
i have noticed that i tend to have a real problem resisting over-watering/over-wetting or watering to often. any advice as to 1, how to tell when the plants need water? and 2 how to tell if the soil is wet enough or too dry? right now i have been spraying them with a water spritzer with a few drops of peroxide to fight damp-off, 2-3 times a day, as they are sitting about 12-18" below a 50-75 watt heat lamp. also, is this too much heat for seeds/young plants?

question:
i have noticed that i tend to have a real problem resisting over-watering/over-wetting or watering to often. any advice as to 1, how to tell when the plants need water? and 2 how to tell if the soil is wet enough or too dry? right now i have been spraying them with a water spritzer with a few drops of peroxide to fight damp-off, 2-3 times a day, as they are sitting about 12-18" below a 50-75 watt heat lamp. also, is this too much heat for seeds/young plants?

You may break out a thermometer of some sort to gauge what heat you are at. Jalepenos do great anywhere from 70-95ish degrees anything under or below that can cause minor problems (usually mainly just with fertility) but ideal would be somewhere in between that. If I were you I would bottom water, but listen to the more experienced guys on here. Water Spritzer is probably not putting alot of water out so I would guess to say 2-3 times a day is fine, but you really want to get a good deep soaking so your roots are continuing to grow to search for water. I would stick a bamboo skewer or anything wooden really down into the soil on the side and see how far you get before you get dry/wet soil. Honestly, the way I judge mine is just pick them up when they are wet then again when they are dry. There should be a difference.

:welcome: fellow Texan! You have many great pepper growers around you in Austin. Out of all my peppers last year my jalepenos were BEAST. They looove that texas heat ;)

i did find one grower on CL that lives not too far, but im not sure if hes still growing or just selling his seeds. is $0.50 too much to charge per seed for good pepper seeds?

10 seeds for $5 is actually not bad for some varieties...depends on what he's selling and how pure they are. There is a grower on here that I got some seeds from for a fair price...I posted a review in Vendor Vault...won't say anymore in a grow thread about it though. PM me if you want more info. I would also search online sources for your seeds and find out what they charge for seeds that should be pure and see if you might wanna go with them. Lotta reviews in the vendor vault of good and bad seed vendors.

mostly looking for bhut jolokia and 7 pot/7 pod seeds. i got like 5 7 pot/7 pod seeds from a friend, but so far 2 of them have mold outbreak and the 3 left cracked the shell but no tap root and its been 4 or 5 days since the outer shell popped. im waiting to see if they are just slow starters but getting a little confused to see if they are duds or not

mostly looking for bhut jolokia and 7 pot/7 pod seeds. i got like 5 7 pot/7 pod seeds from a friend, but so far 2 of them have mold outbreak and the 3 left cracked the shell but no tap root and its been 4 or 5 days since the outer shell popped. im waiting to see if they are just slow starters but getting a little confused to see if they are duds or not

Brother, if you need seeds send me an SASBE and I will give you some Bhut and yellow 7 pot seeds. I have enough to spare at least 7-10 seeds of each of those varieties. PM me for my address.
-Mark

I don't have any to share right now, or I would hook you up, had some virus issues last year and I don't wanna chance spreading that around. Here is where I ordered a few...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34561-seeds-for-sale-some-good-ones-in-here-added-a-few-new-types/

There are many other offers in the forum add section including freebies and seed trains that can be fun to get on...good luck in your quest.

I can turn you on to up to fifty or so isolated red bhut jolokia seeds if you pay for the postage. (Direct descendants of NMSU stock) PM if interested.

UPDATE!!! SUPERCHILLIS popped the soil last night, and guess what? TWO OF THEM!!! didnt think both of them would do so well... should have figured when they sprouted tap roots within 48 hours of planting... also, i added a temperature probe into the soil of the jalapeno, which is still growing, just a little slower than before, still solid green with no brown tho, so i thiink she is doing just fine! pics below:
super-chillis (day 4)
f3vqYLl.jpg

Jalapeno with soil temp probe (day 14)
jt05XCq.jpg

I believe that I read that that is the one that Butch Taylor thinks that crossed with his Trinidad Scorpion to make the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.
sounds about right the guy i got them from got them from someone on here a few years back. probably why several of the seeds are having trouble popping.

Back