• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

snacks Fish and Chips

Ooooh Nova is adding the spiceenesxt!!!!  Guinness only makes stout as far as I know.  Oh wait, now they make a black lager or something too.

There's Guinness Draught, Guiness Extra Stout, and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US. Oh and a blonde beer now too.

Oh man LOL @Nova!!!!!!!!

Guinness do a Blonde? Ewww

Anyway, i must have been getting mixed up between the stout and the extra stout.

Jay, have you tried Guinness stew? It's not bad at all.

Guinness Draught is just the lettering on the bottle or black can with the harp, and Extra Stout has the popular beige oval. I'm sure Jay will know which one he used by that.

He makes killer fish and chips so it would be good to know!

Ashen said:
awesome looking fish, what kind of beer in the batter?  The best beer batter I ever made used,  cooper's sparkling ale but sadly they don't carry it any more around here. 

It was Stella I believe. They had the big bottles selling for half price so stocked up, used one for the batter and drank the remaining million. Coopers Sparkling would be quite expensive to use in a batter! 

texas blues said:

I remember back in the early 80's starting to homebrew using Coopers extract.

Not bad.

And I was also buying Coopers in the big cans in Alaska from Discount Liquor Warehouse in Anchorage back then.

But I also have a question regarding fish n' chip styles.

In Alaska we'd use halibut and a simple beer batter.

But what about NZ and Aussie styles vs. UK fish n' chips?

Type of fish varieties and batters?

You Knuck's chime in too as I know y'all dig on some FNC as well.

In Australia, the most common fish used for fish n chips are the Blue Grenadier and Flake (a type of shark I believe). I've also seen Whiting and Cod used aswell, but haven't been to a fish n chip shop in a while so don't know all the particulars. But yeah as far as I know, Blue Grenadier and Flake are by far the most common. As for batters, fish n chip shops tend to specify either "fried" or "grilled".  

texas blues said:
Grilled fish n' chips?

Thats just wrong.

That might even be illegal here in Texas.

I've actually been to a couple of places where the default menu featured grilled fish and seafood which caught me off-guard. You gotta check the menu. If it says "grilled" for fish or other seafood, you can ask for fried which they will do without any extra charge. Sometimes the advertised meals will be something like Grilled fish with battered prawns and scallops. You have to watch out for this, as some places do this. In which case you have to specify that all your order to be fried.

I agree on making grilled fish n chips illegal. First of all, I don't like grilled fish, second of all, grilled fish is NOT fish n chips. It should be one of the deadly sins.  

texas blues said:

I remember back in the early 80's starting to homebrew using Coopers extract.

Not bad.

And I was also buying Coopers in the big cans in Alaska from Discount Liquor Warehouse in Anchorage back then.

But I also have a question regarding fish n' chip styles.

In Alaska we'd use halibut and a simple beer batter.

But what about NZ and Aussie styles vs. UK fish n' chips?

Type of fish varieties and batters?

You Knuck's chime in too as I know y'all dig on some FNC as well.

Wow Coopers beer kits and the actual beer was available in the US? Awesome! 

Hells Kitchen said:
Wow Coopers beer kits and the actual beer was available in the US? Awesome!
Not sure on the kits, but I can get 6 packs of Coopers and James Boag's locally over here. Though they are twice the price of a 6 pack of domestic US beers. Worth it though for a taste of home.

First for the Year.

Cod in fife/starch batter, cod dusted with chipotle and corn flour.
Blueberry Ghost hot sauce, Coffee Vinegar.
Costa Rica Coffee.

Cod Tender and Fluffy, was Awesome !! :D

iwFxCmk.jpg

p0JX3Z9.jpg

F--K That was Awesome and filling :D
Wrj9GN5.jpg

Hells Kitchen said:

Beer! Spread evenly between oneself and the flour. Kinda like when Homer Simpson fills his car with Gasohol... One for you, One for Me lol 

TB, you batter is interesting... never thought of adding mustard and you only mix it just before coating and hitting the oil. These were done with the batter mixed and then rested in the beer emporium for half an hour. I will give your method a shot next time and see how it compares. 

Homemade Fish n chips, round 2. 

God
20140804_223854_zpsfd9b93a5.jpg

Fish n chips
fish1_zps6481c985.jpg

fish2_zps6967798d.jpg

fish3_zpsff8a4094.jpg

Insanity Fish n Chips platter which I couldn't even smash half of, even with the assistance of booze. 
crazyfishchips_zpsd5635e89.jpg
that looks delicious. what kind of oil and what temperature was that? 

Back