• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors FISH STORY

Wasn't sure exactly were to post this but hope this will do.

Wednesdays fish story,
Hit the water at about 7:45 am, went to a spot were bait had been spotted. Took a little while to track down some bait after about 30 minutes or soo got onto a good school, unfortunately they were all pretty small but the live well was filling up quick with mainly all shiners/greenbacks(we did have some nice big ones too)
Then put away cast net and headed to some nice holes/ mangroves.
On my first cast I barely had a chance to close my bail when something big just slammed my fish I was caught off guard and tried setting the hook too early fish ended up with a nice snack. So we got nice hits quick. It was just my father and I on the boat, He reeled in a keeper trout quickly in livewell he went, 10 minutes later he landed a keeper mangrove snapper. I reeled a small flouder. Then we drifted the mangroves a little bit catching like three or four small snook. Then i hooked on to a nice Redfish Keeper sweet, in live well he went
IMG00304.jpg

Almost 10 minutes later my father hooks onto something big he says, really big wake this fish is pushing had to be big then the head of a small snook pops out for a second and we are both amazed at the wake this underslot snook is pushing then we see a six foot bullshark latched onto the snook, ends up running with the snook taking line FAST, (this all happening a few feet from the boat in about 3 to 4 feet of water) shark ripped fish in half and this is what we were left with.
IMG00308.jpg

Then we decided to wade fish :) jk
we were going to a new spot on the way saw some huge bait fish caught some then headed on to get some hooks and beer. ate lunch headed out, my father lands a keeper red fish then we go to another spot before heading in and we got a monster just barely legal. The snook never broke the surface once(very Unrealistic of snook) any ways.
IMG00309.jpg

When asked "How'd Ya Do" very hard not to smile, a bad day of fishing beats a good day of work anyday!

to be continued....

IMG00311.jpg

Fillet up what we decided to eat just the snook and red released others.
we split the fish evenly we each ended up with two night of dinner basically.
this is my half only one snook fillet on the right left is red fish.
IMG00313.jpg

then seasoned.
IMG00314.jpg

I decided i wanted to hickory smoke the fish on my weber, worked out perfectly. coals on sides with a water bowl in middle i kept a piece of tinfoil under fish with small holes poked just incase the fish wanted to fall through the grate. any ways after hot smoking for about 30-35 minutes oh damn.
meanwhile on stove top some chicken flavored rice with some sundried fatalii powder and some fresh angkor sunrise pods, eww doggy it was hot as hell, just hot enough were there were lots of left overs for me lol.
(miss noshow liked it but too hot for her)
IMG00315.jpg

Now the money shots
IMG00317.jpg

the fish was SOOOOO tender just eating little flakes at a time holy crap and the smokey flavor perfect will experiment with different flavors for sure.
IMG00318.jpg

I'm tellin ya sooo good, catching something and bringing it home and eating it feels like one step of living off the land hope all enjoy.
a cool throwdown idea maybe it has to be something that you personally hunted prepared and cooked by yourself. just a thought.
Feel free to post any of your FISH STORIES here would love to see and hear about some cool trips!

damn man...you had to go and show these fishing pictures...I used to tear up the snook/redfish/trout when I lived in Goodland (back side of Marco Island)...

Whats funny is back in the 30s they thought snook were trash fish...called them soap fish...that is until they learned to skin them...down in Everglades City and Chokoloskee they have pictures of snook piled up like cordwood on the beach just wasting away...nobody ate them...

my mouth is watering for some fresh snook...and mangrove snapper...and redfish....and trout...and...well, you get the idea..

my father lived on the southwest of marco i believe for a year then mozzied on up to Pine Island. I would be soo pissed if i saw that pic aj.
MY mouth is still watering, I just need to learn to throw my cast net better then i should be good. oh yeah post up pics of nice catches ya'll maybe a story or two, and some good fish recipes too :)

but TB...I like to turn their heads when I set the hook...lots of times you have to to keep them out of the mangrove roots...

I will see if I can find some pics...I will have to scan them and see how they come out...I left Goodland in 1985....hard to believe it's been 24 years...I can't even imagine the fishing laws now down there...

Oh they are tight aj big time, the snook slot is 28-32 in atlantic waters and 28-33 in florida gulf waters. Flyfishing always fun. redfish 26-34
IMG00310.jpg

that snook slot sure is tight and the season for them is pretty short.
I think if we piched the tail wouldhave been right on the absolute limit tournament fish i'd say.
I believe where i'm at opens sept 1st and closes dec 1st. also states now that anglers must pinch the tail when measuring, which stinks in the case of too big where you can spread the tail and shorten the fish by two inches sometimes!

and to think there was a 4 fish limit with a minimum size of 18" (I think) back in the early 80s...and no season...open year round

that would make things alot easier for sure only 2 fish limit per angler now. would love to see some of your old school marco island shots

I hear ya' TB...

here is a composite shot of 4 pictures I took and just took a picture of...

top left is Snook, Redfish, A sheepshead, and you can't see much of at the bottom of the picture is a pretty good black drum...

top right is me when I was 32 years old with some specs in 1981...

Lower right are 7 snook

Lower left is a 47" Coral Snake...almost a world record...he was just amblin across the road...

100209d001.jpg

This next one is the absolute largest fish I have ever caught...is a 17' 10" Sawfish...the saw was about 4' long and you can see how big the teeth were...and there is a story that goes with it but it will take me too long to type it out now...that is me on the left and Frog, the boy I fished with on the right...this was 1985

100209d002.jpg

It would appear AJ that you sir indeed have more than enough rod! Rare to even hear about a sawfish caught anymore. Fine looking reds and snook.

'Lawd have mercy that's a huge coral snake! Wait....might be a king snake. Remember "red on black, better stay back. Red on yellow, he's a friendly fellow." I stepped on a little 12" coral barefoot when I was in highschool. Didn't see it till ma pointed it out and then sceered the Beegeezuz outta' me. Right deadly they are if they get ahold of you.

Salute',TB.

please tell saw fish story aj awesome pics. havent tried sheeps head yet hear tastey. havent even reeled in a single grouper yet. thanx pics cool as hell.

texas blues said:
It would appear AJ that you sir indeed have more than enough rod! Rare to even hear about a sawfish caught anymore. Fine looking reds and snook.

'Lawd have mercy that's a huge coral snake! Wait....might be a king snake. Remember "red on black, better stay back. Red on yellow, he's a friendly fellow." I stepped on a little 12" coral barefoot when I was in highschool. Didn't see it till ma pointed it out and then sceered the Beegeezuz outta' me. Right deadly they are if they get ahold of you.

Salute',TB.

No it is red on black friend of jack, red touches yellow your a dead fellow. Very cool looking snake and geez AJ that saw fish.

Noshownate said:
c.mon thats it thats all the hotpepper has for fish stories?

I have lots of fish stories, but I don't think I can top yours. At least not all that in one outing!

Back