Flat top griddles

The Hot Pepper said:
If you wanna be like Booma you gotta get the cool toys, so stop talkin', start buyin', and then postie those burgers and onions. No more research. Pony up!

My backyard fence blew down the other day and not likely salvageable as is. I'm gonna' have to dump a bunch of money on it to fix it. mrs. blues has given me the go ahead to get flat top but only after I fix the fence and a couple of other things first.

Soon.

Booma's gonna beat you to it and park it next to his brick oven. He'll have fresh slider buns baking next to the griddle before you fix that fence. Better hope Bomma doesn't see this. Look what happened when he saw our smokers. He custom ordered the titanic.  :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
Booma's gonna beat you to it and park it next to his brick oven. He'll have fresh slider buns baking next to the griddle before you fix that fence. Better hope Bomma doesn't see this. Look what happened when he saw our smokers. He custom ordered the titanic.  :lol:

I thought he already had a flat griddle for his outdoor grill.

Damn Aussie's have ever 'thang!

A flat top griddle is the equivalent of a modern day plancha more or less.

And muchas gracias but those you listed are all too small.

I want some serious acreage for when the family shows up at The Blues Casa, I can do some serious rockin'!

I appreciate the research effort THP.

I must admit also that I want it for sentimental reasons.

There's just something about working on a flat top.

I get it. I just figured a large enough plancha (or two) and a gas grill would work even better because you could get cast iron... you know like at White Manna! How much is a gas cast iron flattop?

The Hot Pepper said:
I get it. I just figured a large enough plancha (or two) and a gas grill would work even better because you could get cast iron... you know like at White Manna! How much is a gas cast iron flattop?
Anywhere from $700 to $1200 USED for the size I want.

But that's commercial flat tops.

The one I'm lookin' at is $299 new out the door.

It has design issues though but every correctable.

And a little 24 incher won't cut it.

Gimme' 3 feet!

Oh so the cooking surface is cast iron on that one?

No.

Its rolled 3/16 steel.

Okay if it doesn't get too hot but can warp.

Lots of folks use it as is but...

I'd mod it from stainless steel burners to cast iron, and eventually throw on a 3/4" slab of cast iron.

In my fantasy world right now.

HopsNBarley said:
If your gonna go to all the trouble of modding it, why not just buy one of these and build it the way you want it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-Brand-3-Burner-Hot-Plate-Stove-PN-203-Restored-Large-and-Unique-/251328930721

You have any idea what a piece of cast 36x24x3/4" will cost?
You'd be way ahead spending the $700 -$1200 for the used one.

I'd buy the cast burners and build it myself if I were you.
Appreciate the though but I'm not going for a 36" CI griddle.

The one I want is 3/16" cold rolled steel. You can season it just like CI.

I gotta' say.

Those burners look beautiful but just a little pricey.

I might could find some used CI burners to adapt at some restaurant supply joints. 

The unit I'm looking at, the Blackstone '36 sounds like a pain in the ass but not one that I can't adapt, improvise, and overcome.

I get this 'thang and make it work...

The planet may 'esplode!!!

Bahahahahaha comedy, i thought this thread was deleted, couldnt find it, been missing out.

Funnily enough, i went to use my barbeque last night, 2/3 of it is cast flat plates, and guess what??? its starting to fall apart. I said to the mrs, think i need a new one....... Hahahah

and now TB and THP have got me thinking, too many gadgets thought.......

Can't have too many gadgets.

Just ask GM and the SoFlo dudes.

They got ever 'thang.

I rarely use my gas grill any more unless its to do some chicken for mrs. blues so were I to get a griddle, I'd get rid of that.

I have a little Lodge hibachi that works better than the gasser anyways.

So who's going to be the first to post cooking on a flat top griddle?

The Hot Pepper said:
TB, check this out:

http://www.lionsdeal.com/cw-pcg-base.html?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc&adtype=pla&gclid=CK661OmdsrkCFcmf4AodXU4ARw

Those are cast iron burners. You can order the base, and the griddle top. You can chuck your current gas grill, and get the grill top for this when you need it for grilling. It's 2-in-1, and cast iron. Seems logical. The added expense seems worth it, especially since the Blackstone does not have cast iron.

I'm going to keep my eye on that one. Muchas gracias for the link Dan.

Only thing with that unit is that it appears to be the same unit I'm looking at but with the addition of the cast iron burners. 

Where did you see that the griddle top was cast iron? I missed that part and only saw the price.

After all said and done, looks like it would run about $600 ish plus shipping.

I reckon I'll mull over this quandary in depth with Senor Reposado for a spell.

Getting closer now.

Fixed my fence!

For now that is...

Damn Texas wind.

No, the burners, not the top. Sorry to confuse.

I read that the Blackstone used to come with CI burners, and now thin SS. I wonder if this is the same manufacturer but this is the CI burner one.

But does the Blackstone convert to a grill like this? It's cool you can buy the grill top and the griddle to and use what you need.

It appears from the pics that the base's of each unit are identical so it could be.

You and I both know that single manufacturers will market the same units under different names.

I believe I saw where the Blackstone is also sold under another name through Cabela's? Can't remember the name though.

The goal I think is to get a griddle to start with and keep it on the down low budget wise if I can.

The basic base of either of the 2 units we are talking about here lends to the idea of mods ala SS to CI and from rolled steel to CI.

I don't care to have both the griddle and grill tops as I have said before, I really don't use the grill much anymore. 

I am confident I can get CI slabs on the cheapness as I know a lot of people in elevator construction with access to vendors, as well as some machine shop amigo's and metal recycler's. 

Mark my words.

This WILL happen.

Not if but when.

Boom might be the first to post an authentic flat griddle as he has mentioned he's got to fix his.

Just a few more honeydoo's to get out of the way first for me.

I miss "Snags" from Oz...  I don' t know what they were made of either.  When I lived in SA my neighbor made some on his flat top and I couldn't get enough!!

I've been wanting to get a flat top for the back porch to add to my collection.  I'd LOVE to replace my stove IN the house and put in a flat top..

Pebcak said:
I miss "Snags" from Oz...  I don' t know what they were made of either.  When I lived in SA my neighbor made some on his flat top and I couldn't get enough!!

I've been wanting to get a flat top for the back porch to add to my collection.  I'd LOVE to replace my stove IN the house and put in a flat top..

Those damn Aussie's again!

Have mercy!

When WW3 fit hits the shan I'm goin' to Oz!

They got ever 'thang there!

Muchas gracias.

I'm drooling thinkin' about griddled snausage.

Talking about sausage,My Kitchen aide mixer attachment meat grinder makes great sausage for smoking or whatever.
I love it when country style pork ribs are on sale.

They have the perfect Fat meat ratio for some killer chorizo and Italian sausage.
Mix chunks with spices the night before,grind up,let blend grind again than it's flat top time or stuff it for the smoker...

Smoke them for a bit,let them blend a while in the fridge,then grill them or whatever.

Flat top fixins after the smoke...

Since I have Top Round/London Broil AND Brisket in quantity right now,fat from the brisket with trimmings from the top round make great bulk sausage for sandwiches on a flat top with some onion,mushroom and pepper goodness added.

Add some of the main food groups-BACON (made from the belly I just got)and CHEESE and your set for good eats.

No I don't have a flat top,but the bar I worked at does.
Smoked goodie samples allows me to do whatever I want...free beers too...Just stuff the beer tender with food.
Did I mention the oven and deep fryer for other stuff.
Fish tacos...
It's a hard life being a hunger crazed food addict.

Back