• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Foodex Sriracha hot chilisauce

chilehunter said:
well heres a sriracha hot sauce I bought when I stopped at a grocery store (its a thing I do checking different stores where ever I'm at if I have time)
I do the same thing. I've been pleasently surprised on many occasion. Actually, today was one of those times. I was with my mom and we stopped by the Giant Eagle at Legacy Village and it had some of Dave's sauces (of Dave's Insanity). I was like, "You don't see that every day at one of these stores".

IGG - I agree, ya never know what ya might find at a certain store. & I have found hot sauces I couldnt buy elsewhere. I guess just chalk it up as a chilehead habit :lol:

chilehunter said:
I take it that the word "sriracha" means hot or chile or sauce or ? since it doesnt keep to 1 name brand. or ?
Looking at the label, I would guess it means hot, with sos = sauce, and cili = chilli (as they spell it).

THP - but then why the rooster sauce be labeled as "sriracha hot chili sauce" or "tuong ot sriracha" ?
right now I'm curious as to what "sriracha" means, & again I havent did any web search, just thinking & typing right now about this word. or waiting for someone that knows the answer :lol:

also looked at my rooster bottle & the word 'sriracha" under ingredients/& info does not show up when the word "sauce,hot,chili" is used when comparing languages.

I haven't searched either. Google is so easy but sometimes I am just too lazy lol.

I just looked it up. It means "some hot ass shit". Okay maybe I didn't, you'll have to look it up now to see if I did lol.

Man you guys are lazy..lol

Took longer to copy & paste than to find it.. ;p

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

Sriracha (Thai: ซอสศรีราชา) (pronounced /siːrətʃə/ or see-rah-chah) is the generic name for a hot sauce from Thailand. It is named after the seaside city of Si Racha, where it was first produced as a local product (currently licensed by "Sriracha Panich"). It is made from sun-ripened chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. It averages a Scoville rating of 2,000.[citation needed]

The U.S. brand from Huy Fong Foods is often left out on the table at restaurants all day and contains sodium bisulfite as a preservative. Thai people often find the American brand perplexing, as Sriracha was originally and is still often thought of as unique brand from that town, not a type of sauce. Thai grocery stores carry the authentic Thai version, which usually has no preservatives and is refrigerated after opening. Huy Fong Foods has trademarked the name "Sriracha" in the United States, preventing any importers from using the same name, including those under license from the originator of the sauce "Sriracha Panich".

So there. ;-)

You know, I've never checked at my local asian store for that sauce in the refrigerated section, or for a Thai version. I'll have to ask next time, as it'd be fun to compare.

~QS

Damn, and I've read that before too.

Back